PDA

View Full Version : Do hoof boots allow for regular growth between trims?

Merle
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:19 AM
Do hoof boots allow for regular growth between trims, say 6 weeks? I know the Gloves need to be very tightly fitted so I assume those probably wouldn't work unless kept trimmed up all the time.

Countryclips
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:43 AM
Most boots will get hard to put on after about 2 or 3 weeks if they fit tight to begin with. You can put a pad in the bottom for right at time of trim and remove it or do a little rasping yourself to keep a good fit.

matryoshka
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:14 AM
My understanding is that Gloves stretch a bit with use.

I've not had a problem fitting boots between trim cycles. There is enough give. However, I'm a trimmer, and I keep my riding horses' feet rounded. You might consider asking your farrier for an old rasp so you can refresh the roll around the edges, making the boots easier to get on.

I have one client who recently started refreshing the roll between trims, and I have to say that his horses' feet looked the best they ever have last night when I went to trim him. It makes a difference if the owner is willing to rasp a bit between trims.

jazzrider
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:52 PM
I've only had the Easycare Gloves since July, but haven't had an issue with getting them on at the end of five-six weeks between trims. My guy grows hoof at a normal rate, though, and he wasn't at the edge of the size chart requirements for his boots. I think if he was borderline between sizes and I went with the smaller size -- it might be a problem.

saratoga
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:45 PM
I havent used Gloves yet but Epics and Renegades fit both of my horses fine regardless of how long its been since theyve been trimmed.

sublimequine
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:29 PM
My mare could be like the spokeshorse of hoof boots fitting between trims. She's pigeon-toed, so when barefoot she gets rather uneven with flares on both front feet, and miraculously the hoof boots still fit just fine even days before she's due.

I use the plain ol standard Easyboots as well, no gaiters.

matryoshka
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:28 PM
Sublime, have you considered keeping after the flares yourself between trims? It'll help your mare if you can.

I finally have a horse I can ride in plain old Easyboots. She tracks up nicely without over reaching. What a treat!

PRS
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:36 PM
I use Old Mac's G2 and don't have much of a fit problem between trims. Since my gelding has a club foot though I get him trimmed every 4 weeks.

Merle
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:23 PM
That's great that they fit between trims pretty well! My husband can touch up her trim if need be. We ordered some Boas and they will be here in a few days. My girl is a draft cross so her feet are big and we had to stick with something that went large. Thanks guys!

AHorseoffCourse
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:07 PM
My mare's feet grow FAST, and yes, the renegade hoof boots will fit her for an entire 6 week cycle. That being said, we do some riding without the boots so she's getting some wear, and I will maintain her feet with a rasp - nothing major, just keeping the quarters in good shape etc.