PDA

View Full Version : Hoofboots on hindfeet

Ozalynda
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:54 AM
Is there any reason to be worried about the hardware on the front of Easyboot Epics causing problems if used on the hind feet?

Nezzy
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:52 AM
not sure about Epics, i use Edge on all 4 and have not had any problems. does your horse overreach?

matryoshka
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've had horses who overreached regularly and not had a problem with hind boots cutting (the front feet were also booted, which could explain why there was no injury). I think it is the edge of the toe that catches, rather than higher up on the dorsal wall. It's a good question, though.

I have one who forges (hits the sole of the front foot with his hind), and it might be more likely that the dorsal wall of the hind foot would connect with the front. Thinking about it, this problem is more likely to result in a clip that pops open, but if the timing is right, it could also result in a lacerated heel bulb. I haven't seen that happen, but I suppose it is possible.

Easyboot Gloves have no hardware on the front of the boot. If this is a concern, Gloves might be your best choice.

Ozalynda
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have one who forges (hits the sole of the front foot with his hind), and it might be more likely that the dorsal wall of the hind foot would connect with the front. Thinking about it, this problem is more likely to result in a clip that pops open, but if the timing is right, it could also result in a lacerated heel bulb. I haven't seen that happen, but I suppose it is possible.

This is the scenario I imagine as well. My horse rarely forges but when he is tired he does a little more. I worry a bit about the toe of the front hoof clipping the rearboot hardware as the front hoof lifts off the ground.

The only experience I have with Gloves is my last ride where my ride partner had to get off three times to put the Gloves back on the hind feet. I figure Epics are a bit more forgiving in sizing. Plus we do have a lot of mud around here in the fall and spring and I have a hard time imagining Gloves staying on in sucking mud.

matryoshka
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:22 PM
My guess is that the Gloves don't fit that horse properly. Or they need to purchase the power strap for it.

Have you looked at the Edge closure? It is more solid. You might be able to swap out your Epic closure for the on that comes on Edge. Or buy the bungee closure that goes with the Bares. I'm not keen on the Bares, but depending on what you want, there are closures to suit. I've swapped out Epic clips for UpBuckles, and I've swapped Bare closures for Epic clips. Mix and match is my motto!!

decorum
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:16 PM
I agree, the Gloves most likely don't fit properly if they are coming off. I go through deep, sucking mud all the time and use Gloves on my horse's hinds. If you are just worried about the buckle coming open then you can hold them shut with a cotter pin, there is a hole in the buckle just for that.

Personally, I hate those dang buckles and cables. Most of the time I use Edges on the fronts and, if I need hinds, Gloves back there. My new Renegades just came today though. :D I also love my Bares for dry weather and I also have Grips but I still need to change these new ones over to the Bare closure.

Ann Szolas

starkissed
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:18 PM
I agree, the Gloves most likely don't fit properly if they are coming off. I go through deep, sucking mud all the time and use Gloves on my horse's hinds. If you are just worried about the buckle coming open then you can hold them shut with a cotter pin, there is a hole in the buckle just for that.

Personally, I hate those dang buckles and cables. Most of the time I use Edges on the fronts and, if I need hinds, Gloves back there. My new Renegades just came today though. :D I also love my Bares for dry weather and I also have Grips but I still need to change these new ones over to the Bare closure.

Ann Szolas

I think your horse has more shoes than me!;) Thats ok, my horse have more clothes than me!!:D