PDA

View Full Version : Weighted Hind Boots?

Samotis
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:08 AM
Does anyone know any suppliers on the West Coast that sell weighted hind boots?

I found some in the UK and a weird pair in the US I didn't like. I used to use them with another trainer and am not sure where she got hers from.

Also, the doughnut looking rubber things you put on their back legs, is that the best thing for a horse that interferes behind?

Samotis
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:12 PM
bump

SkipChange
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:16 PM
Oh there's plenty to order online Equifit, Doda, Walsh, Equipe....

http://www.google.com/products?client=safari&rls=en&q=weighted%20hind%20boots&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wf

I don't use any personally so cannot recommend a good brand for weighted boots altough I adore Equifit for open front boots.

IrishWillow
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:24 PM
I know Dover carries the rubber rings.. I just saw them in the store last weekend.

Nickelodian
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:36 PM
I just sent you a PM. :)

Samotis
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:20 AM
Got your Pm. Yes I would like to see what kind you have.

I will look into the other brands. Some of those aren't really that heavy though. They charge soo much for them too!!!

I suppose I could make my own somehow.

brynleigh
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:29 AM
I use the walsh ones and have extra weights to add to make them heavier if I need them to be. The extra weights are about 6 to 10 dollars a pair.

Samotis
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:36 PM
the walsh ones looks like they sit weird on the leg? Are they heavy enough?

travisday
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:39 PM
One thing to point out is that once you own the weighted liners and corresponding T-Boots, you can use your boots weighted OR unweighted. Additionally, the lead weights are separated from your horse's leg by a T-Foam (memory foam) lining which seems a lot safer than many weighted boots I have seen on the market.

Lastly, because the weights are in pockets, the amount of weight you use is adjustable at all times.

Regards,

Travis Day
EquiFit, inc.

IrishWillow
Nov. 18, 2009, 04:00 PM
What are weighted hind boots used for?

Lone
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:31 PM
What are weighted hind boots used for?

I'm wondering the exact same thing!

JazCreekInc.
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:30 PM
The Equifit boots are great and fit the legs well IMO.

FirstLadyJrJpr
Nov. 19, 2009, 02:09 AM
Weighted boots are used to teach a horse how to use their back legs better in the air, they are mostly used on bigger jumpers, but I have seen them used on some hunters as well. Dota boots also are wonderful, they are not weighted but have pressure points which encourage a horse to use their back legs without putting the wear and tear on the joints and muscles. :) hope this helps.

Lone
Nov. 19, 2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks FirstLadyJrJpr!

Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't they use something similar on their front legs as well (or are they?). Would the weighted boots just be used for schooling?

LeeB10
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:58 PM

I was just going to mention that Doda's are weighted and unlike weighted boots you can show your horse in Doda's. They are very lightweight and use pressure points to encourage your horse to use his hind legs in a more correct manner. My daughter has a horse that is very scopey but extremely lazy with her hind legs and the Doda's really help her. She likes to conserve her energy and doesn't mind knocking a rail or three so the Doda's just remind her to pick up those feet. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or not but you can also use weights at home and the Doda's in the show ring.

LeeB10
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
Doda's are NOT weighted.. haven't had my coffee this morning

IrishWillow
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:21 PM

I was just going to mention that Doda's are weighted and unlike weighted boots you can show your horse in Doda's. They are very lightweight and use pressure points to encourage your horse to use his hind legs in a more correct manner. My daughter has a horse that is very scopey but extremely lazy with her hind legs and the Doda's really help her. She likes to conserve her energy and doesn't mind knocking a rail or three so the Doda's just remind her to pick up those feet. Don't know if that is what you are looking for or not but you can also use weights at home and the Doda's in the show ring.

Does it work? I have the identical problem. Scopey mare is totally fearless and nothing bothers her, so she'll have a rail with a hind leg. Doesnt phase her at all. I'll try these!