PDA

View Full Version : pasture grass-first frost?

ponyface
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:27 AM
In many years of horsekeeping at home, I've never had the luxury?? of lush grass. This year, for now, I have just one pony, an acre of grass (which I cut over the summer, and let the pony graze for a couple of hours most days), and an acre of 'winter pasture' i.e. weeds I mowed-gets flattened by snow.

We had our first frost last night, so I kept pony off the grass; I've read about frosted grass achieving peak sucrose? levels in the aft., but am a bit fuzzy beyond that. Esp. having a pony, I'm not anxious to take chances, so would it be best to just keep the grass pasture closed from now on?

Any advice appreciated...thanks!

Hampton Bay
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:54 AM
I dunno, but I am just jealous you even HAVE grass! Mine is all dried up and crispy.

BramblewoodAcres
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:57 AM
I don't know about the sugar levels after the first frost...but I always put the pastures on rest after the first frost simply to protect those more-exposed roots from destructive horse hooves. They stay closed all winter and the horses live on dry lots. I am rewarded with beautiful, lush green pastures in the spring.

ponyface
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the feedback-think I'll rest my grass pasture. Although, lush grass in the spring just doesn't go well with those durn ponies. I always wanted grass, just not this much; be careful what you wish for, and all that!
Maybe I can rent the pasture out to a bunch of Clydes, or something?!