PDA

View Full Version : Spinoff: GM's Advanced Jumping Clinic DVD

WW_Queen
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:59 PM
Anybody else have this? I splurged this year and bought the DVD. I love it! :)

I sort of feel like GM is the Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo of the horse world. (They are the authors of "He's just not that into you".)

In the book, the authors spend the entire time pointing out the most obvious things (ie, if someone is not interested, they won't call you) whereas GM does the same (pointing out if your horse does not accept your leg or seat, you have a PROBLEM!).

People get after GM for being overly critical and judgemental but despite his (reportedly) cantankerous way of stating the [what is to him] obvious, some people would still rather be patted on the head and told that EVERYBODY gets a ribbon. ;)

Ponyclubrocks
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:01 PM
I have the DVD and think it is excellent and is a good representation of what to expect if you are planning to ride in a GM clinic. In my opinion, if people don't want to hear the truth about their riding skills they should not ride with GM. I'm a huge fan even though I wish he could find a less harsh way of imparting his truths from time to time. In my experience, he gets progressively cranky as the clinic progresses.

zahena
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:37 AM
I have so been wanting to buy this! Thanks for the enabling. :lol:

I saw him in Texas this year and he was, IMO, too NICE!!! There was one horse barely cantering and he never said a word. Well, once or twice but we all lived in fear the horse would smash through a fence. He was still very nice to some people who maybe needed a harsher critic. Maybe he just likes the slow lifestyle out here in Texas?

Ugh and the whole everyone wins a ribbon..... Makes me gag.... We had a barn show where someone said they wished all the kids could be winners. Its the "hot house flowers" that society has made that he always talks about with that mentality!

RugBug
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have the DVD and think it is excellent and is a good representation of what to expect if you are planning to ride in a GM clinic.

I don't know about that. All the riders in that DVD are quite advanced and are used to that type of teaching via their regular trainer, Karen Healey. They know how to learn from GM. While you get an idea of the things he asks, his mannerisms, expectations, etc...if you aren't used to learning from that type of teaching, it would be shock. He also doesn't get after anyone too much, although I think these days, if you don't listen to him, he tries a couple times and then sort of lets you continue without focusing on that.