PDA

View Full Version : Spin off: riding in afternoon/evening

Mukluk
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:15 PM
Well sounds like we have heard from the early am crew. So how about the other side of the spectrum? It doesn't work out for me to ride before work. After work I can spend a few hours with my girl. On weekends, I find that when I ride in the afternoon/evening I have something to look forward to all day and it is the highlight of my day!

ILuvMyBoy
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:24 PM
I've never been able to ride before work/ school back in the day so I'm a perpetual afternoon/evening rider. I don't mind it at all and neither does my horse. It takes me awhile to mentally wake up in the morning and I always have my best exercise sessions at night so it's no surprise to me that the same amount of no-stirrup work comes easier to me in my 5pm weeknight lessons than my 9am weekend ones. I just focus better at night but that's just me! It gives me something to look forward to during the week but I do try to ride earlier on weekends to not interfere with feeding in the afternoon. And it's nice to see everyone on weekends during the prime earlier hours!

WW_Queen
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:40 PM
I LOVE the occasional 5:30am ride (I read the other thread :) ) but unfortunately I am not a morning person either. About 1x every 6 months I snap awake at 4:45am but not regularly enough to take advantage of. :)

Nowadays I ride around 1:00pm every day. The barn is finished around 12:00pm so by 1:00 it's really quiet and clean. I have the facility pretty much to myself. I can ride both horses and be done by about 4:00pm, before the "afternoon" riders get there.

(I am still unemployed after a year, while it's hard not to have the income I am attempting to FULLY take advantage of late mornings at home and long afternoons at the barn! :) Once I'm back to FT employment I won't have these opportunities so I am trying to enjoy them.)

fourmares
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:15 AM
I'm SOOO not a morning person. I just don't function well before about 8am. Right now I generally work 12:30 - 9:30, so I ride about 10:00 am. On the days that I don't work I ride in the afternoon or early evening.

vacation1
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:22 AM
On weekends, I find that when I ride in the afternoon/evening I have something to look forward to all day and it is the highlight of my day!

Me too!!!! The nights I had lessons I would leave work mentally chanting "I get to go horseback riding, I get to go horseback riding!" A few times I've paid the price for riding at the end of a hard day - zero energy, blah - but mostly the prospect of riding perks me right up. I've only ridden in the morning a few times, and I wasn't too into it - I'm a night owl, I tend to be groggy and shocked until roughly noon.

PNWjumper
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:46 AM
Totally not a morning person either. Though I occaisionally ride in the wee morning hours, it's definitely under duress! :lol:

My ideal is riding in the morning, but by "morning" I mean 8 or 9, NOT 4 or 5! :eek: But since I have to have a "real life" to support my seemingly ever-increasing collection of equines, I much more frequently ride in the evenings. And I much prefer riding at the end of the day when there's no stress to get cleaned up and as horsey-smelling-free as possible in a short amount of time for work!

Wonders12
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:41 AM
I'm definitely prefer riding in the afternoon, once work and class is done because I don't have to watch the clock to make sure I'm running on time. I'm done when I'm done, not when the clock says it's time to go.

Jellybean83
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:45 AM
I got to the barn at 7pm tonight to ride. We have quite the evening crew of people who are riding after work. The barn closes at 9pm.

Outfxed
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:40 AM
I am an afternoon/evening rider because of work. I agree with the poster that said she had something to look forward to when riding after work. It puts a bad day at work for me to "right" and completely decompresses my head. I'm very lucky that my boy has a wonderful work ethic and is happy to please. Throwing a leg over the saddle and heading out is an "AHHHHH" moment that makes an intense day at work melt out of my head.

allpurpose
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:39 AM
I'm definitely prefer riding in the afternoon, once work and class is done because I don't have to watch the clock to make sure I'm running on time. I'm done when I'm done, not when the clock says it's time to go.

This!

I love riding at night after work! The only time I wonder about my sanity is in the deep winter when it means that riding at night means 10-degrees above zero or less!

The many plusses include:

Empty arenas, empty roads, empty trails.
Watching the sun go down and the stars come out on horseback.
A quiet barn with all those lovely night noises coming from contented beasties.

How many other folks get to end their hectic days on the back of a horse? Sometimes I look around a meeting in the office and smile to myself - I get to ride when this is all over, and you don't!! :yes::yes:

Trakehner
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:48 AM
I start work at 6:00AM...finish at 3:30 with every other Friday off (gov't compressed work weeks are good things).

I can get to the barn by 4:40. A pain when the time changes and it's dark by then, but sure leaves tons of time to ride during 8 months of the year.

alteringwego
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:56 AM
I finish work at 3:30 but usually am so tired that I don't make it to the barn until 5. I'm an evening person. I'd love to go ride around 8pm but no outdoor lights make that impossible.

Giddy-up
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:18 AM
I get off work at 3:30. If the horses are turned out, they don't usually come in until about 4:30 so I may do an errand first to kill time (I don't like getting in the barn workers way as they are trying to bring in/feed/finish up). If the horses didn't go outside, I go right after work & can be on by 4:15.

Weekends are different. I like going in the morning. Especially in the summer--I will go & be on about 8 just to be done before it's hot. Turn out is roughly 9 AM so if I don't get there before that or let the barn know, my horse goes in a 10 acre pasture & he's not going to let me catch him that fast. :lol:

findeight
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:32 AM
Usually don't ride on days I work so can ride whenever. But have come to like riding at two, specific times that work for me and with my barn's lesson and training schedual.

Around 1pm when the stall and general cleaning is wrapped up, training rides are about done or on the easier ones less prone to dramatics (they do those likley to be difficult first) and most of the barn staff is at lunch. Have the whole place to myself with just a pro rider to share the ring with-or nobody. No wait for cross ties or wash rack, no tripping over kids. Plus is I can get alot of serious work done. Minus is it can be lonely and hard to get motivated, especially days when it's too hot, too cold or just rainy and dreary.

Around 3 to 4pm so I have company. Plus is I can chat and it's easier to stay motivated. Minuses are obvious and, in the winter? It can turn into bowling for Ponies:lol:.

see u at x
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:11 AM
If I lived closer to the barn, I'd be tempted to take advantage of riding early. Unfortunately, I live 45 minutes away, so riding early just isn't an option. Plus, I have to commute into DC which takes an hour from my house by metro, so it won't work at all. I do like getting up early for horse shows and the like. It's kind of nice to have the rest of the day to do whatever I want to. I guess I could get up early on weekends, but that's the only chance I have to sleep in.

I kind of like riding later in the day. Usually there aren't many lessons going on so I get the arena to myself. There are typically people around, though, which makes me feel safer when riding my more "sensitive" horse just in case something happens. During the week, I'm usually riding at around 7:30-8:00 p.m. because by the time I commute back to my car at the metro and then commute to the barn, I don't get there until 7:00 p.m. at the earliest. If I'm lucky, I can ride both horses, but during the week I usually have to choose one or the other because otherwise it gets to be too late. Right now my schedule is to ride both horses on Fri., Sat., and Sun., and then ride one each on Tues. and Wed. nights. That way they both get ridden 4 days a week, which isn't too bad. Once I move closer to the barn, I'll try to up it so that they're both being ridden 5-6 days a week.

Trixie
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:14 AM
Definitely not a morning person, and compound it by a Washington D.C. commute. The farm is about 40 minutes south of DC without traffic, could easily be 2 hours with traffic in the a.m., and I don't live directly between the two so I have no simple way of stopping home and showering. It's much easier to deal with the commute after work, when at least I'm not trying to rush to be on time to work.

eclipse
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:34 AM
Totally not a morning person, and my barn doesn't open until 7:30am anyway & I have to leave for work at 6:30am so it really doesn't matter! I get home from my new job now at 6pm (it used to be 5pm...sigh) so I run out for my 6:30pm lessons on Mon & Tuesday nights & then give my girl Wed & Thursday's off. I sometimes will ride after work on Friday nights (unless it's a day off & then it's a mid morning ride). Sat & Sundays, I'm a mid morning rider! :D

Oldenburg99
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:47 AM
I ride in the evenings after work. I usually get to the barn around 5:30 by the time I change and get ready, I'm on my horse by 6pm. In the summer its not so bad and the winter/fall we have lights and they are bright enough to ride at midnight if I had to. I like my time in the evening because other working professionals (with the same situation I'm in - trying to give their horse as much time as possible) are out riding. The school kids are usually gone by the time I get there. Riding after work is a great stress relief that I look forward to everyday! I know my horse will be there if I've had a bad day! :cool:

ExJumper
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
I would like to ride early, but it doesn't work with my work schedule. On the weekends when I don't work I often ride first thing.

But during the week I ride after work. During the summer I go out to the barn right after work to ride outside in the daylight, and as the days get shorter I'll sneak out of work earlier and really push the "dusk" riding to its limit.

But in the winter when it's just as cold and dark at 5 pm as it is at 9 pm, I'll often ride quite late in the evening since I'll be riding inside no matter when I ride and it is quieter in the ring during the later hours. My barn closes at 10 pm and I'm often the last one out closing up as I leave right at 10. I don't LOVE riding alone, but the hubs and I have a phone-call system and the barn is only 10 minutes away so he can come down if he's worried about me.

Plus when it's SUPER cold out, I'll just come out and longe or free longe to let him stretch his legs when it's too cold to ride him.

starrysky
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:05 AM
I am an evening rider as well. My schedule doesn't allow for morning rides, although I am a morning person and feel I would do well if I had the time.

I usually get to the barn about 7-7:30 and head out around 9-9:30. My trainer is nice enough to stay out late so that I can lesson.

Void
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:08 AM
When I worked a lot I road in the late afternoon/evening, which was cool. I think regardless of the time of day as long as I am one of the few people at the barn I'm happy. I hate riding when there is a large influx of ring users.

pippa553
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:54 PM
I usually ride around 8pm or so after the work is done and the kids are asleep. It's far from ideal and it has affected my relationship with the SO at times but it is what it is. I'm looking forward to midmorning preschool next year!

Prima Donna
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:59 PM
I ride at night, usually around 7 or 7:30. The horses are already fed and everything is quiet. The barn where I board has flood lights for the outdoor and an indoor. The only time I am a morning person is for a horse show. There is definitely something special about getting to the show when there is dew on the grass and warming up while the sun rises :)

KnKShowmom
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:05 PM
When I used to ride, I loved a late evening summer ride, getting off just before it got too dark to find my way back to the barn. It would be so quiet in the barn, most of the horses were turned out and those in would be munching hay - it was just a nice way to end the day.

Most of the time work dictated that I ride early in the morning, but it was always such a rush to get done before it got hot and in time to get ready for work, I just decided this was nicer in the long run.

LuvMyTB
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:26 PM
I am SO not a morning person, so the majority of my rides are in the evenings.

I get off at 4, but horses don't come in till about 6-ish so I usually don't ride before then (horses go in/out of turnout thru the indoor). I arrive at 6:30, on by 7, off around 7:45, dry him off/brush him off/put stuff away and leave by 8:30pm.

I have ridden even later than that though and I like late rides, too. Last month I had a lesson at 9pm--finished at 10pm--home by 10:45pm. It was kind of neat to be out at the barn so late.

indygirl2560
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
I always ride in the afternoons or evenings. Occasionally I'll ride in the late morning/mid-day after my morning classes. At my old barn, I was always the last one to leave during the week(at least during the winter), but I didn't really mind. Unless it's the weekend or a holiday, I don't ride before 11am, just because of my class schedule.

Janet
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:04 PM
I rarely finish work before 5, usually not until 6, with an commute that averages an hour in the evening.

If I leave promptly at 5, I can usually be home in time to change, groom, and trailer (7 miles) to an indoor for a 7:30.

But usually I leave between 5:30 and 6, and again, without the trailering, can usually be on the horse's back by 7:30. Since I have no lights, that means riding in the dark half the year. I'll ride in the rain, and I'll ride in the dark, but i won't ride in the rain in the dark, so this week has been pretty bad.

But riding in the dark has it advantages. It encourages you to ride by "feel" rather than "look".

By the time I finish riding, then muck and feed, it is usually 10PM, so not much else gets done. Even going to the supermarket usually means I miss a ride.

LSM1212
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
Another "not a morning person" here...

I ride after work during the work week. I leave work around 4:30pm or so and can usually be on by 6pm. Am back home by 8pm or so.

On the weekends? During the summer I will go earlier. Like 10am. :lol: In decent weather and the cooler seasons I usually go mid-day.

:D

mypaintwattie
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:13 PM
Like many others here, I am NOT a morning person. Some days it would be a struggle to make a 10am lesson. I focus better in the afternoon or evening. Usually I ride between 12 and 2pm or after 4pm, they feed "dinner" at 2:30 here so I give my horse that time to eat. When I ride in the evenings it allows me to throw her some additional hay to munch on throughout the night. The barn is open until 10pm so there is plenty of time in the evening.