PDA

View Full Version : Need help putting on EXO vest

Black Points
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:55 PM
I just got my EXO vest and am having a devil of a time putting it on.... any of you out there that have one, please let me know if you can adjust the side clips to make the vest a few mm's larger around the middle.

I can get one side latched but can't get the other side to latch. There's nothing in the instructions about making adjustments but I can see where the inside shoulder straps can be adjusted so I know there is some adjustment... just hoping I can adjust the side latches a bit. I ended up getting the A5 short so no chance of getting a larger one.

TIA,

Mary in western NY
http://www.BPEquine.com

RAyers
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
If you look at the latches, there, underneath the velcro on both the front and back (you might need to dig a little bit) are 4 allen screws on slides for each side. They were set all the way back on mine when I got the vest. Just loosen the allen screws and the latches should slide forward. You can also adjust the shoulder hinges by pulling up the velcro covers on the outside.

I know this is a bit confusing but it is hard to describe without diagrams.

Reed

Black Points
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks Reed,

My hubbie suggested that but I was afraid to do anything without asking someone who already had an EXO. Since the Allen wrench has to be cut out, I thought it was only for Emergency use. I'll find another wrench and do what you suggest. Mine are also all the way in.

Thanks again,

Mary

JER
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:22 PM
I was coming here to post about those allen screws but Reed beat me to it. :)

When you make the adjustments, let us know how it fits.

Black Points
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:35 PM
JER,

It seems that the side latches were already slid out to their ends so that isn't working for me. I'm now trying to do something at the shoulder to make the vest sit lower on my body. The front only comes just to my belly button. Is that the right length?

Also, it looks to be quite the job to get in on by one's self. So far I haven't been able to latch both sides with my hubbie trying to do the latches with me against the wall. Any why did they make the final velcro tabs go from front to back instead of the other way. It would be much easier to go from back to front.

I'll keep trying but I'm don't think I'll be able to wear the EXO at my clinic tomorrow. BOO HOO!

Mary

JER
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:53 PM
(If anyone walked in on you and your husband and the EXO, they'd probably get some very strange ideas about you lot. :))

IIRC, both Reed and Gnep did some customizing of their EXOs.

The EXO will sit lower on your body if you lengthen the shoulder straps but I'm sure you've already figured this out.

Black Points
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:19 PM
JER,

Yes we would look pretty weird!

Unless I'm completely missing something, the shoulder straps also look like they are already out to their max. The inside shoulder harness is also as long as it can be made.

Can you put your Exo on by yourself?

Mary

JER
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:30 PM
Yes, I can put it on by myself. It takes about 15 seconds.

But I'm a very small-framed person and my EXO is an easy fit.

RAyers
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:02 AM
Both Gnep probably did some work that would void the warranty (if there was one). I found that once the shoulder hinges were slide all the way out, the belly latches worked better. I would try that first. Also, pull out the shoulder pads on the inside to get an initial fit. I actually rode for a few weeks without them (it does wear on the shoulders) by having the shoulder suspension a bit tighter.

Try those and then we can talk machining. ;)

Reed

Black Points
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:34 PM
Reed,

I will give the shoulder strap thing a try but I probably won't get to it till next week. I'm riding XC with Lucinda Green tomorrow and my old racesafe vest will have to suffice. Then off to the Adirondacks for the weekend hoping to see some snow!:D

Thanks for your great suggestions,

Mary