PDA

View Full Version : Canadians - advice please.

rodawn
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:21 PM
Has anyone used Farm Credit Canada for loans for farm improvements or mortgage, or other? Can you please tell me what your experience was?

Also, looked into Canadian Government farm programs (grants, loans, contributions, etc). Anyone used these? How did the process go? Was it successful? Are there any restrictions if one or both of you work a job besides the farm? My husband goes off the farm for work. Our mortgage is coming due and someone told me that FCC is one of the best for farm mortgages. Just wondering what your thoughts were.

sk_pacer
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:59 PM
All I can tell you is this: if the acreage in question is less than a quarter section, you can about forget about it unless you go in with a business plan and a list of potential investors. If you have decent acreage (half section min) in production (hay, cows, grain), you have a better chance....the larger the acreage, the more apt they are to looking at you and your business plan.

Carrera
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:03 AM
I would talk to a company that specializes in farm taxes and farm business. Farm Business Canada. They have people that work with FCC and the likes all the time and they can help with gov't grants.

www.fbc.ca

They got me a great return last year and when I was planning on expanding the farm I was put in touch with someone who specialized in grants.