PDA

View Full Version : Any news from Fair Hill?

tarheelmd07
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:05 PM
I'd rather be there watching, but I'm stuck in my office...how'd things go at the jog today? did everyone make it through?

deltawave
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:35 PM
Erika texted me that Jake had been accepted. :) The FHI site doesn't have an updated starter list post-jog.

SparklePlenty
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:48 PM
This was supposed to give us real time..

http://www.evententries.com/scores/14232.html

Nothing posted yet. :lol:

pegasusmom
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:43 AM
So. . . is there any info on the first horse inspection? Website is useless.

Rabbit351w
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:23 AM
If you go to "rider list by division" then scroll down to just under the first black line, there is a link to the draw. Presumably that's everyone who passed the jog and no one who didn't.

scubed
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:41 AM
If you go to "rider list by division" then scroll down to just under the first black line, there is a link to the draw. Presumably that's everyone who passed the jog and no one who didn't.

Sadly that is an old list. It has been up unchanged since the weekend.

BigRuss1996
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:46 AM
Did not get to see the last few horses after ours jogged (got to walk the circle for what seemed like hours) but as far as I know no one was spun. There were alot of holds which everyone was talking about. All ours passed with flying colors...yea!

scubed
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
Works if you do without the www (or click on the twitter link on the event entries home page)

http://evententries.com/scores/14232.html

My trainer is doing the test ride and that score is up

retreadeventer
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:12 AM
One of the three star horses was spun.
I heard it just as I walked up the hill as I got there for the last two or three.
Yes I heard there were a lot of holds. I will get up something if I can today on the order or try and get someone to get the order up when I get up there.

pegasusmom
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks! Heard from the trainer that her horse passed and she has her ride time for Friday. Fingers crossed (or as the Germans say - thumbs pressed!)

Lori B
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:07 AM
Is it wet and cold there, like it is over near Baltimore?

DiablosHalo
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:33 AM
I'm 15m southeast of FH and it's wet, rainy, cold here. :(

NMK
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking the dressage scores are higher than the temperature, and maybe that is exactly why!

Lori B
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:47 AM
I hope the weather moderates before Saturday... Good luck riders.

tle
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:54 AM
I'm thinking the dressage scores are higher than the temperature, and maybe that is exactly why!

LOL. Could be!

Turns out a friend of mine is competing. Known her since she was 14. We went to our very first horse trial together. :)

EventerAJ
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cold and wet. Weather Channel calls for up to an inch of rain by Saturday. Two star course looks great, ground can hold some water but dont know how much. And 80 2* horses sharing galloping lanes and takeoffs will make a mess.

DiablosHalo
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:19 AM
I'm packing sheets/jackets up tonight- let me know who needs what and I'll bring tomorrow and leave for you. :)

BigRuss1996
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
Pouring rain and freezing cold and damp.... Bring your layers and then some!

SparklePlenty
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
Oh no! I saw Alyssa was Eliminated! what happened??! :(

Lori B
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:57 PM
Shoot, so sorry for her. I saw her ride Lettingo at the OTTB Retraining Symposium, and she is such a gorgeous horse; Alyssa was very nice, I was cheering for them. :-(

deltawave
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:28 PM
Erika's in first (so far) after dressage! :D :D :D

Long way to go, but a great place to start. :yes:

clivers
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone else read this on useventing.com? Snoopy, is this your handiwork? Most points are well taken, but although I am a fan, somehow the pic of Jon Holling looks shockingly like PeeWee Herman to me!!!

Here's the report:
One Response to “Photo Gallery from First Horse Inspection at Fair Hill International”
n1cholson Says:
October 15th, 2009 at 6:17 pm
Fair Hill Fashion report 2009:

- Polar Storm is one to watch, we hear.
- What’s the weather like there? Gina Fiore looks hot!
- Can we see Port Authority’s obverse instead?
- Imagine sitting right there on the back of Killian O’Connor, charging down that course.
- Eveready has a worried look on his face.
- Jil Walton’s wearing a cowboy hat. Is that legal?
- Bobby Costello’s got his game face on. Looks like he means business.
- Riddle Master and Rebecca have the same hair color. So very pretty.
- That pic of Lauren Lambert and Baba Creek could be a Dover Saddlery catalog cover. Just airbrush out that orange band on her arm.
- Nice GQ look from John Williams and Sweepea Dean.
- Anthony Patch looks happy to be there. Again - what’s with those orange wristbands?

Can’t we spice these inspections up with some jewelry and bling?
We’re not talking sequins and turquoise but some diamonds and emeralds would raise the stakes here.
And why not a simple boutonniere for the gentlemen?

- Ronald Zabala-Goetschel. Interesting guy. He’s cloning his horse “Che Mr. Wiseguy”
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=15030 “cloning runs $165,000 per clone”
The black suit is a bit much for a morning trot-up, even in the fall.
- “Mr. Mojito is ready for his close-up, now”
- Mr. Chambers looks like he could be a member of the Royal family. Nice coat — appropriate for a morning trot-out.
Rolling Stone is pure beefcake: powerful and fit. His eyes belie a timid you
- Cooper looks like an seasoned pro. Definitley like Miss Bannigan’s sport outfit.
- Note the sophisticated look of legendary Davidson Sr. Watch and learn. That right front hoof looks artificially dark.
- India McEvoy is a knockout and Jake can handle all comers at dressage.
- Prowler is a sharp-looking lad. Not sure about that browband — a little too plain.
- Not many people could get away with that top, Susan, but on you it’s striking
- Slate River has a beautiful coat and a magnificent topline. For this time of year, we’d rather see Heather in a darker
coat so it doesn’t over power the attractive hair highlights.
- Long-legged Merloch looks cuddley and cute. Kudo’s to Ms. Mosser for dressing in the spirit of the holidays. Button that sweater from the middle and it’ll be nice look.
Fashionable black heels and probably tougher to run in than it might seem.
- Sir Donovan’s looking sharp in that bridle. Katie’s quite the fashionista in the capri pants, white crossover top and subtle-print chapeau.
She’s an athlete with a flair for casual attire.
- Mandiba, like Riddle Master, show their exceptional breeding by striking a round dressage frame during the trot-up. Nothing wrong with Karn’s outfit, really.
Pink is better left for Spring, we always say.
- Kheops looks the model of autumnal grace in that heavy black bridle, complimenting his mane and the dark accents on his forelegs. Phillip’s navy sport coat is a good choice.
A pity ’bout the wrinkles in those slacks. We like the pale blue chemise with Navy over-layer. The pink tie is effective at catching the eye but a bit too bold for the season.
- All a girl needs is sweater like Mara’s to make a man fall in love. What’s that on her finger? That’s a ring, boys. Nicki Henley looks like he’s had a rough week.
- Ringwood Magister is just gorgeous. Looks like Miss Coudray is wearing a chic formal dress under that harsh-looking coat. It saves her from looking overdressed but…
maybe the coat would look better in the summer on the family yacht. The matching earrings and necklace look yellowed in comparison to the white of the coat,
though otherwise a good choice considering the time of year.
- Mar De Amor is impeccably well-groomed and looking attractie in that perfect bridle.
- Kelly Prather looks sharp in that lovely grey sweater. Those pearls are a nice touch as are the understated ear studs. Hair is pulled back a bit too tightly which
detracts from the feminine allure of the rest of her look. Ballinakill Glory is as smartly turned out as her rider and looks ready for anything. Isn’t the crest on the
sweater in an unusual location?
- Belmont II looks pretty as can be with that bling browband. Can’t see much of Ms Hicks’ pretty white coat that the rider’s wearing.
- Tasman Sea’s browband draws attention away from the horse’s more attractive features. More texture or definition in the noseband bridle would be better than drawing the
eye up toward the horse’s ears
- Minstral’s bridle is nice but the gold browband is too bright and draws the gaze away from the face. Grey sweater: 9/10 Green top: 4/10. Recommend layering that grey with a black or
going with a differnt color top.
- Sharon White must have fashion training. Her outfit is all about that wonderful fall scarf. Simple, elegant and practical for an autumn ride, Miss White.
Maybe roll the collar of that turtleneck down a tad. Rafferty looks like he’s phoning this one in.
- Mademoiselle Thieriot, we really like the periwinkle chemise as an alternative to grey. It says “Hey I’m not ready to say good by to summer quite yet” while the traditional warm beige outer layer
says “Oh come on, it’s fall already.” The nail polish color is eh. We like Mara’s better.
- Casey McKissok must have read the memo about the grey sweaters. We really like that soft-edged grey collar. Her look is very promising. The belt is a good choice
and the right color but its lines are too hard and broad. e’d rather see a soft, woven thing around the midriff, tied off to the side. Her pretty hair would look nicer
with an off-center part
-  Ian Roberts’ is in fine form with that brown suit. But that shirt is a road hazard. If the whole think were a watercolor blend of the dark-purple and cormflower, how
nice you’d look. But the wild colors are out of place. Just look at Napalm’s face — he’s embarrased. Please keep your jacket on. We don’t want to see that hand-painted
shirt you picked up in the Carribean again unless you’re using it as a school
ing saddle pad during Mardi Gras
- Johnathan Holling is quite presentable. We’d loan him money. Jos Baco looks to be the result of generations of intelligent breeding and a lifetime of careful management.
- Mr. Slezak has gone for a traditional look — nothing flashy or fancy. That would be acceptable if he hadn’t chosen that tie. The greys in the tie look dingy compared to
the lighter slacks. A rich, warm broad silk tie with fall colors would make his face look less flushed and compliment the warm colors of Watson’s coat.
- Kristin’s outfit works. It’s lightweight (except for the belt which must weigh as much as her horse) and perfect for a cross-country ride in the fall. The belt is effective
in drawing the eye to her narrow waste and elongating her torso. It also is a close enough match to the color of her horse that it diverts attention to him. Without the belt
her outfit would be too much winter. But it’s a hute belt and she may want to return it to the pirate when she’s done with it.
- Mr. Ward likes color and he has a good eye for fall fashion. We can see too much of that handkerchief, though. The collar is too spread out and tends to make his neck look
too thick — at least from the angle of this photo. He and James present themselves as worthy contenders.
- Ashley Kehoe. “Hi Mom, I’ve met a girl I’d like you and dad to meet.”
- Maya Studenmund should have gone with gold or rust accents. The dark blue isn’t helping. Her hair is too hidden which is unfortunate because it would look good against the color
of her horse.
- Articat is cute and impeccably well groomed. Audrea’s ensemble is attractive but, clearly, it’s all about the horse. Notice the simple beauty of Aricat’s browband —
not a thick streak of yellow above the eyes. We’d like to see a bit more attention to the rider’s hair to make them a picture-perfect pair.
- A navy blue pantsuit is the Ford Explorer of show attire. The turtleneck is too dark. We’d like to see some accents in the outfit — something to justify our attention. And
we don’t mean piping. we need a little more Lexus or Escalante, please, Miss Simmons.
- Hanna Sue. Hanna Sue. Pretty pretty pretty pretty Hanna Sue. How ’bout a smile there, baby doll? Why so serious? That goes for you, too, Barths. This is fun, remember?
- Jessica Frankfort makes it look easy. This picture could be used to sell pharmaceuticals. Doesn’t matter what kind, we’d buy it.
- Elizabeth needs some warm reds in her costume. The color of that flower pot near her thigh.
- Mr. Dierk’s shirt is unkempt but otherwise is outfit is acceptable. Text looks like a fine german machine.

Awards for men’s attire:
1 Nate Chambers
2 Phillip Dutton
3 John Williams

Awards for ladies’ attire:
1 Ashley Kehoe
2 Mara Dean
3 Sharon White

Best of luck to all competitors!

GotSpots
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:23 PM
James Alliston, I would presume, from the link on the name.

Meredith Clark
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:14 PM
Is Laine Ashker (http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dsc-0115.jpg) wearing a bump-it (http://www.bighappiehair.com/) ?? :lol:

LexInVA
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:32 PM
No comment. :winkgrin:

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:41 PM
I was up there this afternoon to help GRC with the YEH. Tomorrow I'll be trying to shoot both dressage rings! I was pleasantly surprised that the young horses behaved themselves, at least the afternoon session. It was freezing and windy, just as predicted. I don't know if I can handle three more days of this!

LexInVA
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:46 PM
Geeze, you get around a lot my little friend. That's a long drive from the Burg to Fair Hill.

pokesaladannie
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:03 PM
Where are you finding the results? I don't see anything on the Fair Hill site, Evententries site and I didn't know how to navigate the site that Clivers was on. Feeling like a dufus!! Please advise if you can - getting really frustrated. (By the way, I'm so hopeless I don't have a clue what Twitter is!) Rescue Meeee...........please.

J3D1
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:14 PM
Thursday Dressage results are here (http://www.fairhillinternational.com/fhiresults.html). -J

or...I could just save people the mouse-click and post this...

Through Thursday at FHI:
CCI3*:
1. John Williams on Sweepea Dean 42.6
2. Erika Treis Peterson on Under the Influence 45.4
3. Laine Ashker on Anthony Patch 46.0
4. Jolie Sexson on Killian O'Connor 48.4
5-T. Jan Byyny on Inmidair 49.0
5-T. Gina Fiore on Feral Errol 49.0
7. Barbara Crabo on Eveready 51.8
8. Andrea Leatherman on Mensa 52.4
...other notables...
20. Boyd Martin on Rock On Rose 59.0
32. Buck Davidson on Triomphe 77.4

CCI2*:
1. Leslie Law on Hugo Fast 45.3
2. Kristin Schmolze on Ballylaffin Bracken 48.1
3. Jennie Brannigan on Cambalda 48.3
4. Kelli Temple on Veelion 48.3
5. Milli Kuchta on Calle 50.0
...other notables...
8. Jon Holling on Jos Baco 50.8
21-T. Phillip Dutton on Wild Tiger 56.7
25-T. Will Faudree on Mr. McWhinney 60.0

pokesaladannie
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks J3D1 - that was nice and idiotproof! Now all I need is for Clivers to help find the juicy trot up pics and pans.

DLee
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:39 PM
Erika's in first (so far) after dressage! :D :D :D

Long way to go, but a great place to start. :yes:

I believe it on that elegant horse! Yay!

mbj
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:52 PM
news please once those of you who were there dry off and get that hot toddy!

J3D1
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks J3D1 - that was nice and idiotproof! Now all I need is for Clivers to help find the juicy trot up pics and pans.
Click here for trot up pics (http://useventing.com/blog/?p=6004). Scroll down for the comment Clivers quoted. -J

retreadeventer
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:52 PM
I am uploading pictures from today...John Williams and Sweepea Dean, Mogie Bearden-Muller and Select, and not sure who else...it was VERY wet and the wind kept changing the way the rain blew up your nose....the volunteers today deserve a tremendous thanks for braving the terrible weather. We were ALL shivering and frozen after two changes of clothes each...there was a nice salamander heater in the volunteer tent that helped dry you off on the way out....we have a good parking scheme for the competitor's lot I think down by start, we hope it works better this year....I was able to watch a little dressage and spoke with Bea and Derek Di Grazia, watched Tiana Coudrey work with the Captain in dressage, that horse is just spectacular - the beautiful way he moves just wonder, I cannot be there tomorrow to watch but I think if someone wants to watch a good one see that Ringwood Magister go. Oh and watched Randy, he is so nice, just a neat person - stood at the opening with his mother, a delightful lady who gave Bruce D. a big hug while on a horse! Very nice family!
I will post the photo bucket link shortly - eating dinner at the moment!

retreadeventer
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:18 PM
http://s233.photobucket.com/albums/ee158/eventhorses/FHI%202009/

gully's pilot
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Who is William Ward and where did he come from? So rare to see a fine handsome black man in eventing--rock on!

BigRuss1996
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:15 PM
Randy is a great friend and a good horseman. He started out riding with Mike Plumb when he was about 8 yrs old. He has been eventing his whole life practically and has had many nice horses. He has ridden at the advanced level off and on for many years when he has had a horse to do so. He also rode with and worked for Bruce for a few years and then went on to train and ride for himself and he is now training horses for a woman in Mass. where he is origionally from. His dad is a well known international Equine dentist. His mom is the nicest lady in the world. The horse he is riding this weekend is his own horse. I am really happy to see him with another horse to compete at the upper levels. He has made almost all of his own horses from scratch. This one I think had done up to Prelim when he got him.

Who is William Ward and where did he come from? So rare to see a fine handsome black man in eventing--rock on!

Mary in Area 1
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:37 PM
Re: Randy Ward. I thought James belonged to the Kaplan's as well, but I may be wrong.

A funny aside: my first trip to Rolex in '93 or '94 I saw a big trailer with the words "Young Black Event Team" in the side. I turned to my friends and said, completely seriously, "Hey, look, that's so great. Randy's got a whole team now!" (Not PC, I know, but very funny at the time.)

Clear Blue
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:11 PM
A fun piece of trivia about Randy is that he did some of the riding scenes for the movie "300".

kcrubin
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:24 PM
does anyone know of a good place for dinner near Fair Hill?

NeverTime
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:27 AM

In Newark, Tolteca is yummy Mexican with *yummy* frozen margs from a big slurpee machine (and I know you like Mexican!)

I also love Cafe Gelatto, right on Main St. in Newark. Little more upscale, very yummy.

Lori B
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:14 AM
How did Alyssa Peterson & Lettingo get eliminated? Did they have to do their test during particularly blustery weather, or did they make an error on their test? Anyone?

SparklePlenty
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:27 AM
i heard that "Ting" had kind of bolted out of the dressage ring/arena. :( Poor thing!

Ajierene
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:46 AM

The Howard House right on North St., in Elkton has good food at a reasonable price.

The Elkton Diner offers whatever you want, whenever you want, on RT 40 (Pulaski Hwy).

Bentley's is also on RT 40, right near Elkton Diner. It offers a nice variety of food, with great service.

Jake's Hamburgers or Jo Jo's Hot Dogs (Both in Elkton) for something quick.

For Breakfast, the Main Street Cafe is great, or Delancy Bagels on RT 40-a bit farther, but makes the best Lattes.

I'm sure I am missing some, but there is a lot in Elkton, which is not any farther than anything you will find in Newark and no crazy college students.

If you go from Gallaher RD or Entrance 3 RD and make a right on 273. Make a Right on Appleton Rd (There is a gas station on the corner). Go to the end of Appleton Rd and make a right (this is RT 279). The first light is North St. Make a left here and at the end of that RD, is Main St. You will see Howard House on the corner and if you make a left (Main ST is one way...), Main St. Cafe is just a few yards down on the right.

If you go through the first light on 279, the second light is Bridge St. Go down Bridge St, right before 40 is a turn into a strip mall - Elkton Diner is in this Mall, along with some other places. If you make a left on 40, Bentley's is right up the street on the right.

tle
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
WOW! According to the EventEntries.com live scoring, Chelan Kozak and Tasman Sea just scored a whopping 121.8 in dressage. OMG! How exactly does that happen on a 3* horse??

deltawave
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:05 AM
Even a 3* horse can be very, very naughty with cold, wet wind blowing up its hiney. :D Given the demands of the tests, I'd say it's a lot easier to get a series of 2's and 3's when you're supposed to be doing half-pass, counter canter and flying changes than it is when the test asks for 20 meter circles at working trot. ;)

Erika's in second now, to John Williams. Her horse is such a dignified guy--being naughty would never, EVER occur to him. :)

tle
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I guess it's not that much of a stretch to see HOW it could happen. Heck, Susie noted that Frankie was horrible at the jog yesterday in KY (cantering in place instead of walking! EEK!)... so it's not a stretch. I just don't think I've ever seen it actually happen. ;)

roki143
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
Keep in mind that Erika's test was orignally posted as a 135.0 on event entries so it may be a typo!

lcw579
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:14 AM
WOW! According to the EventEntries.com live scoring, Chelan Kozak and Tasman Sea just scored a whopping 121.8 in dressage. OMG! How exactly does that happen on a 3* horse??

That's not what it says now..... 66.2 :confused:

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
Chelan actually scored a 66.2 in the dressage. She was pleased with warm up and had a bit of trouble in the test. This horse has been difficult to figure out and she has done a great job getting him to this point.

tle
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:16 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing the change now. Well.. I guess this is why in big red letters at the top it says that these results are NOT final and are subject to change. Glad the test went much better than originally posted.

Halfhalt08
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:26 AM
A lot of the scores post in the 100s first and then if you hit refresh it corrects itself. I had a moment of "how in the heck did he/she score 100+" yesterday until I hit refresh. I noticed this with quite a few scores so it must have to do with how they input them into the system.

clivers
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:51 AM
Is Laine Ashker (http://useventing.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/dsc-0115.jpg) wearing a bump-it (http://www.bighappiehair.com/) ?? :lol:

LMAO!!!

tuppysmom
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:02 PM
The weather has been playing a part with our horses, well at least the opinionated one. It is misting and cold with a bit of a breeze. Our stalls are on the uphill side of the barn and are now very wet. Unfortunate, but it is how it is.

The little horse went out for a gallop before his test to try and warm him up and get the sprizties out, but he could not gallop because he would not stop, so they cantered around, had a bit of jumping up and down with his tail over his back, and came back to the barn to change tack and head for the ring. He kept his wits about him, mostly, and tried hard to have a good test.

The 2 star horse goes this afternoon.

The courses look beautiful. Tomorrow should be fun.

JER
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:14 PM

Awesome. Eventing needs a Sarah Palin.

(Holy god. The website for Bump-its is called www.bighappiehair.com. Big happie hair? :eek:)

fanfayre
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:25 PM
Chelan actually scored a 66.2 in the dressage. She was pleased with warm up and had a bit of trouble in the test. This horse has been difficult to figure out.
That's an understatement if I ever heard one. His barn name is "Puzzle" for a reason!!!:lol:
So glad the first scoring was incorrect, as I know the original score is not entirely out of Puzzle's "ability":eek:. Just watch him on x/c though, he'll totally rock unless Chelan makes a huge mistake

Halfhalt08
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:09 PM
Anyone know why Comet or Dobbin is not competing?

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:39 PM
Dobbin and Corinne are spending today and the rest of the weekend working with Conrad Shumacher. FH was never in plan this year.

gchildean
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:52 PM
Did Will Coleman really get a 93?

roki143
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:53 PM
Did Will Coleman really get a 93?

Perhaps it's another entering glitch... give it a couple of minutes

ETA: Yup! 58.6

Stuperman
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:56 PM
I heard that Corrine broke a couple of ribs and her sternum last week on a clients horse... true?

gchildean
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:58 PM
OK the changed it.

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:59 PM
I heard that Corrine broke a couple of ribs and her sternum last week on a clients horse... true?

She broke the ribs at Wits End and yes she did indeed break her sternum last week on a client's mare. She will spend the rest of the season healing from these injuries so that she will be fit and ready to go when she heads south to Aiken in January

Stuperman
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:17 PM
She broke the ribs at Wits End and yes she did indeed break her sternum last week on a client's mare. She will spend the rest of the season healing from these injuries so that she will be fit and ready to go when she heads south to Aiken in January

what a bummer....

Quite the painful year for her....

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:25 PM
what a bummer....

Quite the painful year for her....

In more ways then one. They both have nothing to prove at three star level and the focus is now getting the results at four star. The plan is to reflect on what went wrong this year and work on that over winter so that they are competitive next year.

J3D1
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:28 PM
Well, the CCI3* Dressage is all wrapped up. Karen and Mandiba are your leaders, on a 39.6. -J

gchildean
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:46 PM
The first horse of the day (Leslie Law) Thursday lead until the last horse of the day Friday (Rebecca Howard). Way to finish up a long 2 days of dressage.

Susan P
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:00 PM
From New London, PA about the same distance it's absolutely miserable looking also, wet and cold. I don't even want to go outside so I'm sure the tent is doing a better than average business. Yucky weather.

I'm 15m southeast of FH and it's wet, rainy, cold here. :(

Susan P
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:13 PM
Newark Main St. which is 5 miles away has tons of restaurants and in the other direction is Buck's, a local favorite for the horsey crowd. A little further is The Whip in Unionville, PA and you would probably enjoy that. My favorite for food is Sovanno Bistro on 926 & 82 at the intersection in a small shopping center, love their food but bring your credit card for dinner.

On Rt. 896 is a place that had good food when they called it Amici's now it has another name, and I don't know how the food is, has a little bar too. But Timothy's is probably a little cheaper and popular, a variety of food, a bar, evening type atmosphere for partying.

I think Unionville probably has the best upscale restaurants, pricey but good. A good Italian restaurant is just outside of Newark, La Casa Pasta. When you get to Newark you turn right on Elkton Rd. (pretty sure) or is it 896 going to south DE but it's across from Glasgow High School. They have private rooms for parties too. The building is attached to a 7-11 which is not attractive but inside the restaurant is nice and the food is good.

For lunch, Prizzio's is a good deli with sit down, often busy at lunch and breakfast, good grill and sandwiches and homemade muffins.

In Newark, Tolteca is yummy Mexican with *yummy* frozen margs from a big slurpee machine (and I know you like Mexican!)

I also love Cafe Gelatto, right on Main St. in Newark. Little more upscale, very yummy.

purplnurpl
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:00 PM
Awesome. Eventing needs a Sarah Palin.

(Holy god. The website for Bump-its is called www.bighappiehair.com. Big happie hair? :eek:)

wow. I love her horse.
What a beautiful expression he has.

InVA
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:27 PM
Anyone know why Comet or Dobbin is not competing?

maybe after getting comet fit enough to do burghley and then having him not perform that well, his rider decided not to try and keep him fit, and is listening to her horse - and giving him a break...he has nothing to prove at a three star anyway...

Late
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
Anyone know why Ralph Holstein pulled(I'm assuming he pulled him) Arctic Dancer?

Susan P
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
Oh, how about Iron Hill Brewery, great beer, atmosphere should be fun or just spend some time strolling down Main St. and checking out the many, many eaterys. My gosh it's like a dining mall on that street these days. Parking a pick up truck is the biggest problem but there is a parking lot behind Grotto's Pizza since if you park in the street, you're liable to lose your side view mirror. There is also a Grotto's Pizza in the near by shopping center, College Square on Rt. 72 going south.

Newark is a great town for food with a huge selection. But Buck's is good too and it's quieter in Rising Sun. I don't think the Elkton restaurants are much to get excited about, not unique, and I've eaten at Bently's once and I'd never go back.

Also if you are in Newark, just go down Cleveland Ave to Kirkwood Hwy./Rt. 2 and turn left instead of right into Newark and there are a lot of good places to eat also. There is also a Bennigan's in Newark, not on the main drag, but off of Rt. 72 next to the post office. On Rt. 2 there is a CiCi's Pizza, Perkins, assorted fast food, Pizza Hut, Outback Steak, Bruster's ice cream and just a bit further to Christiana is Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Firebirds, supposed to be wonderful, Country Buffet, Bugaboo Creek, Chili's, Don Pablo's and much more. Delaware has an unlimited source of restaurants of all types on Rt. 2 or nearby.

Meredith Clark
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:24 PM
Why didn't last years winner, Coal Creek, come this year? What's he doing.. doesn't his owner post on COTH?

deltawave
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:29 PM
I could swear I saw photos of Coal Creek from the jog. :confused:

Meredith Clark
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:00 PM
I could swear I saw photos of Coal Creek from the jog. :confused:

I don't see him or Amy in the results but then again i'm using the search tool not looking through myself!

kcrubin
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:07 PM
Thanks very much for the dinner suggestions!!

GleeRider
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:17 PM
Well, the CCI3* Dressage is all wrapped up. Karen and Mandiba are your leaders, on a 39.6. -J

I saw that as well! I'm really happy for her. She needed this very badly. Something to cheer her up :] I'm crossing my fingers all goes well for the rest of the weekend.

Oct. 17, 2009, 05:58 AM
Is it possible to run X-Country today? I am leaving now to go help a friend in the 2*. Hi Meredith. Maybe I will see you up there.

kcrubin
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:21 AM
start delayed till 9am, 4/5 fences taken off the ** course, people getting stuck on level ground in vehicles

pharmgirl
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:31 AM
start delayed till 9am, 4/5 fences taken off the ** course, people getting stuck on level ground in vehicles

Ugh. More reasons why I am glad I decided not to go today. Yesterday was bad enough, and we didn't have the rain and were able to hang out in the VIP tent.

hookedoneventing
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:45 AM
The cross country results coming up paint a picture of the toll the weather has taken....fingers crossed that everyone comes home safely today.

SparklePlenty
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:59 AM
wow..... :( :no: what a shame..

Reds-n-Greys
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:02 AM
Jingles that those who chose to go that they are safe ~ and cheers to those who decide to save their horses for another day.

LLDM
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:06 AM
Jingles for everyone! Here's hoping for a very safe day in very bad weather and great decisions from riders and officials. We are over 100 miles south of that mess and it's awful here - sloppy, slippery and miserable. I feel so bad for everyone at Fairhill! I *know* it's a tough call and how much goes into this for everyone.

SCFarm

3dazey
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:13 AM
Amen, LLDM.

SLR
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:41 AM
Nice that Poplar has added the 2 star.

pegasusmom
Oct. 17, 2009, 10:52 AM
Hope everything goes well today and everyone stays safe.

The YP and I were talking about not being able to get things together to run this year. . . I am convinced that everything happens for a reason and thankful we are not sitting up there having to make the decisition to be or not to be (and also know what my son's choice would be, which makes me very proud).

RunForIt
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:11 PM
From the look of the time faults, the smart riders took their time and still had safe, smart rides on their horses....at least, sure do hope that is what happened...

Very happy to see Mary Bess Sigman move Guinness X up from 17th to 8th place after XC. She had some 11 or so time faults so I know Bessie was very careful with Guinney - XC is both of their strengths and I expect Bess decided to run Guiness ONLY because she was sure Jenny's horse could go across the country safely, as well as learn something by doing so. DO wish the weather had cooperated.

In the meantime, our little area of Georgia is doing right well at Fair Hill. Kim Keeton and Hope Thomas' homebred, home trained stallion Accolade won the 4 year old YEH championship and now Mary Bess is right there in the 2*! :cool:

And its raining again and cold here too...so, I guess I have no excuses not to ride with these two having shown what can be done in the cold, wind, and RAIN!!!! :lol: :cool:

(only hope UGA football team - alma mater of both these riders - does the same up in Nashville today or I may decide to SLEEP out in the barn tonight with the horses!) :winkgrin:

Junebugz
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:25 PM
From the look of the time faults, the smart riders took their time and still had safe, smart rides on their horses....at least, sure do hope that is what happened...

Very happy to see Mary Bess Sigman move Guinness X up from 17th to 8th place after XC. She had some 11 or so time faults so I know Bessie was very careful with Guinney - XC is both of their strengths and I expect Bess decided to run Guiness ONLY because she was sure Jenny's horse could go across the country safely, as well as learn something by doing so. DO wish the weather had cooperated.

In the meantime, our little area of Georgia is doing right well at Fair Hill. Kim Keeton and Hope Thomas' homebred, home trained stallion Accolade won the 4 year old YEH championship and now Mary Bess is right there in the 2*! :cool:

And its raining again and cold here too...so, I guess I have no excuses not to ride with these two having shown what can be done in the cold, wind, and RAIN!!!! :lol: :cool:

(only hope UGA football team - alma mater of both these riders - does the same up in Nashville today or I may decide to SLEEP out in the barn tonight with the horses!) :winkgrin:

Yay to all!
And I hear ya on UGA Football!

sunnycher
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm glad people are WD-ing due to bad conditions, but it's too bad. I feel for them, those who traveled so far, and not able to compete.

deltawave
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:19 PM
Erika withdrew. :( Smart choice, but such a letdown. :sigh: They'd taken 10 separate jumps, virtually all the combinations, off the course, so as a "prep" for a four-star it didn't seem worth it.

North Dakota
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:45 PM
there is a lot of mud.

i was running in the **, i started but pulled up after some trouble at the new 4th fence(trekhaner) my horse wasn't happy so we stopped.

it will be exciting getting trailers out of the remote parking area, a friend hooked her dually up to my 3h slant and ended up taking my pony back to her place, i *think* my truck would have gotten it out but it wouldn't have gone nearly as smoothly as her truck getting it out, it was just a big mud pit.

godo job though to the organizers, and everyone working on the footing and pulling all the cars and trucks out of the mud!

subk
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Anyone else "watching" the live blog feed over at Eventing Nation?

http://eventingnation.com/home/

ridexc
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yup, massive withdrawals. Looks like Chelan withdrew both Puzzle (running three-star) and Bones (two-star) -- which really sucks after having trucked all the way from BC on a shoestring. Still, better to truck home with two sound horses, I guess.

On the slightly more cheerful subject of dinner, I've always been partial to the Home Grown Cafe, on the main drag in Newark. Fantastic menu which changes often, and live music. After a day like this, taking shelter at Home Grown with a spiked hot chocolate would be my preference!

Reds-n-Greys
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone else "watching" the live blog feed over at Eventing Nation?

http://eventingnation.com/home/

I am now - thanks!

Risk-Averse Rider
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:37 PM
Anyone know what happened with Barb Crabo & Eveready? There was a comment on the "live" Eventing Nation feed - something about she was handling the tension from the lost shoe in warmup well...???

Anyone? Buehler??

gchildean
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:39 PM
apparently she lost a shoe in warm up and had to have it put back on before she started out.

pegasusmom
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:41 PM
Needed that information about 30 minutes ago!! Yeah Holly and Stewie!!!

RunForIt
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:52 PM
anyone have the schedule? Please post if you do. Thanks!!!! :cool:

piaffeprincess98
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:12 PM
Wow, today was a crazy day. A lot of withdrawals. I could not believe how many corners and skinnys there were on course. I'm glad some of them got taken out. It was literally, combination, let up fence, combination, let up fence.

I heard we might have snow/sleet tomorrow!

tabula rashah
Oct. 17, 2009, 06:36 PM
Just got back a little bit ago-
I was really impressed with the rounds I watched- slow and steady was the name of the game.
Kudos to the grounds crew as well who were working their tails off in the horrendous weather to keep things safe

What I want to know is how all those people who brought their dogs and let them roll around in the mud felt about putting them back in the car to go home- LMAO!

yellowbritches
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:13 PM
Braved the weather and enjoyed the day, even if I do feel a bit like a drowned rat. There were a lot of Ws but the riders that went looked for the most part to be well within themselves (or sitting on great horses who handled their riders mistakes admirably). While the footing was mucky, I only saw one horse really slip (toward the end of the 3* riders), and he pulled out a 5th and a 6th leg and jumped out of trouble handily! His rider sat chilly with her legs on, and they went on nicely. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember who it was (water logged brain, I guess).

And while the course did have a lot of corners and skinnies, I really thought the course rode well. The combinations rewarded forward riding. The riders who rode forward in had the smoothest rides. But everything seemed designed in such a way that when things went wrong, the worst that would happen was a glance off. And their were plenty of big galloping things to give the horses a break.

Had my dog with me (double rugged and happy as a clam...she was far warmer than I, and I stopped at VTO and bought dry gloves and a warmer hat!). Came prepared and had towels waiting for her at the car! :lol: I would love to give her a bath, but that would be cruel...and I really don't feel like getting wet, unless it is a shower!

Good luck to everyone in show jumping tomorrow!

retreadeventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:54 PM
I'll try to answer what I can.

Tomorrow: Dual jogs, 9am.
Two star stadium, 11am.
Three star stadium, not before 1pm.

Lost shoe in warmup, exc. rider, stayed cool, we found the shoe, my pony clubber got it, we found someone who needed a lift back to stables to get a shoeing box to replace it for her but the farrier was returning and was able to get it back on for her. She re-warmed up and went, very gracious and cool - I have no idea why the farrier left the warmup area, he just drove off for some reason.?

Warmup was chaos. The mud at the start box and vet box access was incredible. The big red tractor (think the size of your living room) was pulling out trucks with four wheel drive.

St. Augustine pony clubbers helped in warmup and were AWESOME. They did not however get a picture with Boyd and were disappointed as they are like all crazy over him (BFNE, do you think you could do something for them that way?) They worked so hard.

We brought a camping stove and cooked hot chocolate over the fire with soup and actually fed General Burton lunch - he told the kids all about starting pony club and talked with them at lunch - he is 90 this year. I think they enjoyed that. It was a good thing we brought it as it was cold wet and rainy with no lunches in sight. I brought a complete change of clothes including pants and socks and went thru nearly every piece of clothing I had. I had one dry sweater left at the end of the day!

There were so many scratches it was really hard. We were running ahead of schedule and it was hard on the riders who WERE running to know how to warm up, when the scratching riders were not letting anyone know they were not coming. In future they need to be more mindful of other riders and be more organized on the scratch procedure but honestly conditions were so hard and difficult today, it's hard to say what would be good or bad.

Four rider falls, resulting in NO injuries. From my knowledge no serious broken horses but a few vanned back for various things, I don't think anything serious. Everyone was really good about staying loose and working together. One rider with "pressing an exhausted horse" but about four riders were talked to by the jury over their rides.

Excellent rides, - Boyd, Phillip, Karen, Laine - was told her ride was beautiful - were all told to me as having superb rounds, well done on fit horses. Max told me Mandiba was great, just Karen got a little tired trying to hold him together at the end, you would have to go a long way to find someone as tough and strong as her, so I believe that's a good result.

Our only bad thing was a really dumb person who was telling people the exact opposite of what I told her to tell people about parking and driving in the vet box side and the warmup side of the road. She got the horse shuttle van stuck right in the middle of the road about halfway thru the three star division. OH well. People were considerate about it but DOC was irritated I believe. He gave me one of those, "You don't know what you are doing," looks, like I could do something about it. Well, he is always irritated with something so I guess that is par for the course.

tuppysmom
Oct. 17, 2009, 07:57 PM
Our horses were way down the list in the order of go, so DD withdrew both of her horses today. The little one is already qualified to do another Rolex and the other horse didn't need another **, as he has already completed that part of his qualification.

The course was altered to keep everyone safe, and the officials did a great job there, but that sort of made it an "almost but not quite" ***. Most everyone who ran seemed to get around OK.

I would not be comfortable sending a horse to it's first 4 star without another go at the *** level.

We learned from our last trip here to park our trailer with a downhill run to the gravel road. As it was we barely got moving, but once we got on the less muddy part we did fine.

We moved the horses back to the race barn where they have been for the past month. They were ready to get out of the soaked tent stalls and onto dry bedding.

We will sit here until Monday when the weather is supposed to break and then head for home.

We can go tomorrow as spectators and maybe have one of those funnel cakes or something.

We'll be back another year.

Reds-n-Greys
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:30 PM
Please don't beat me -but I have a stupid question.... Is Boyd Martin riding for AUS or USA now? I know I should know the answer, but I've seen him listed under both this weekend...thanks.

GotSpots
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:37 PM
Retread - thank you for everything you and your crew did today (despite being under such miserable conditions)! I hope you have a very hot shower and hot toddy waiting for you.

LexInVA
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:40 PM
*beats Reds-n-Greys with a rubber chicken* He's riding for the US. Nobody is allowed to ride for two different countries per FEI rules. Except for Snoopy because The Hoff can do anything he wants when he wants without anyone's permission. The rest of humanity can only ride for a single country in which they have citizenship and residence. Though he has recognized dual-citizenship per Austrailian law, Boyd can only compete for the US under the FEI rules as he is now a US citizen and has filed as such with the USEF.

retreadeventer
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:42 PM
Those kids from St. Augustine Pony Club were AWESOME. I have to do something for them, maybe we can get Boyd to do something for them, they would die for that, I am sure. Anyone have any pull?
Thanks. I have the first batch of wet clothes in the washer now! Actually I am not too bad at the moment - I am sure I'll feel it as soon as my head hits the pillow - but my broken ribs were aching pretty bad on the drive home, as soon as the Advil kicked in I was ok.

Reds-n-Greys
Oct. 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
* ouch -:D ouch -:D ouch* Thanks Lex. That's what I thought, but he's was listed as AUS in a couple of the lists so I was confused.

patricia.dasilva
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:00 PM
just posted a few videos from today's Xc and a couple from yesterday's dressage (Boyd Martin & Neville Bardos). Hopefully, it will be nice and sunny tomorrow...Click here for Fair Hill videos (http://ecogold.blogspot.com/)

Enjoy!

Boyd rides for the USA.

Meredith Clark
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:11 PM
I think i'm finally dry! :winkgrin:

I'm so proud of all the riders today. I feel like all the riders were so smart and knew when to quit and when to kick on.

The 2 star course seemed a bit harder on the horses than the 3 star. The sunken road had 3 falls just while I was standing there, and the skinny coming out of the water seemed tricky. I was at the mushrooms most of the time and I hope everyone heard me cheering for them (I cheered for everyone since there were very few spectators)

The 3 star horses were awesome! I wanted to chase Phillip Dutton around the entire course.. he's so amazing to watch!

My trainer went clean with some time and I only had to blow my whistle at 1 person... good day!

TBCollector
Oct. 17, 2009, 09:51 PM
The little one is already qualified to do another Rolex and the other horse didn't need another **, as he has already completed that part of his qualification.

Boy, do I feel sorry for you if "the little one" hears he is being referred to as "the little one." :mad:

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 17, 2009, 11:12 PM
Boy, do I feel sorry for you if "the little one" hears he is being referred to as "the little one." :mad:

psssssstttttttttt--- Tony--- Mom called you "the little one"!!!!! LOL :p

Risk-Averse Rider
Oct. 18, 2009, 01:12 AM
Lost shoe in warmup, exc. rider, stayed cool, we found the shoe, my pony clubber got it, we found someone who needed a lift back to stables to get a shoeing box to replace it for her but the farrier was returning and was able to get it back on for her. She re-warmed up and went, very gracious and cool - I have no idea why the farrier left the warmup area, he just drove off for some reason.?Thanks for all the great updates ;-)

I'm really glad things went well for Barb, despite the lost shoe. Ready is her homebred gelding, out of her first Advanced horse, Batteries Not Included. He's a great little (15.3h) guy. And Barb has worked really hard coming back from a shattered femur a couple years ago (got bucked off a client's horse in her driveway, about 30 seconds away from being done with a trail ride).

NeverTime
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:32 AM
The course was altered to keep everyone safe, and the officials did a great job there, but that sort of made it an "almost but not quite" ***. Most everyone who ran seemed to get around OK.

I would not be comfortable sending a horse to it's first 4 star without another go at the *** level.

Absolutely. And yet people will. And while there's no such thing as a "move-up Rolex," I expect next year's course will be particularly beefy as they prepare to host the WEG... and there will be people there who qualified by running around this course.

Yikes...

Any news from the jog? Everyone make it through?

tuppysmom
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:34 AM
No, I call him Cuddles to his face!

Most everyone else, vet techs, farrier, rider, calls him Monster.

Funny how everyone in our barn row went out the other end, hummmmmm

RunForIt
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
just posted a few videos from today's Xc and a couple from yesterday's dressage (Boyd Martin & Neville Bardos). Hopefully, it will be nice and sunny tomorrow...Click here for Fair Hill videos (http://ecogold.blogspot.com/)

Enjoy!

Boyd rides for the USA.

thanks so much for posting these videos...does Phillip Dutton really breathe like the rest of us? watching him ride gives new meaning to the phrase "lighter than air"...:cool:

Kairoshorses
Oct. 18, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wow, y'all, I feel like I was there almost! Thanks for these updates. I've never been to an event like this (I've been to Area V and IX events, and Rolex...the former as a competitor, the latter as fence judge!), and one day I'd like to come.

BRAVO for the pony clubbers! They rock! I hope that SOMEONE is able to get Boyd to say hello/have a picture taken. From what I know about this wonderful sport, the folks are kind...so I don't doubt it'll happen.

Thanks, everyone, for your updates. Stay healthy (and dry)! Ride/support well!

RunForIt
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:19 AM
Nothing so far on evententries Live Scores...

RunForIt
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:33 AM
scores are now happening...

J3D1
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:27 PM
Eventing Nation (www.eventingnation.com) has results from the CCI2* and will have a LIVE BLOG of the CCI3* Show Jumping starting at 1:30pm EST. We had a live blog from the XC and received some great feedback and huge traffic.

subk
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:36 PM
Eventing Nation (www.eventingnation.com) has results from the CCI2* and will have a LIVE BLOG of the CCI3* Show Jumping starting at 1:30pm.
This was quite fun yesterday! Sorry, I'm going to miss it today. The rain has finally stopped here so I'm going to actually RIDE a horse(s) instead!

katnetzler
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hello all! Just wanted to let you know that Sara Lieser and I have just posted coverage and photos from the CCI** division at www.chronofhorse.com.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/index.php?cat=1211610093986267

We're VERY excited to have wireless internet in the press tent for the first time ever! Stay tuned for the CCI*** results!

Thanks for following!

Susan P
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:45 PM
What amazes me is that being lighter than air :yes: he is still grounded. I have never seen him be a snob and seems to remain grateful for his opportunities and remembers his friends no matter who they are. The unsnobby, talented rider. I remember going on a course walk and he showed us how he was going to take this water hazzard and so I decided to go and watch all the riders or most of them and compare. His idea was showing the horse what he was getting into and then asking him to trust him and do it. His horse was brave and did trust him and he did it very nicely while other riders did not take the time to show their horse and the horse was not always willing. That made me respect him a bit more.

At a previous event at FH he was asked to judge a Breyer horse show and my son wanted to do that with one of his few Breyer horses and we didn't know anything about doing this and we used what we had. Very few kids showed up, confusion in the schedule. These kids may not have even had a horse or even rode. First Bruce Davidson stepped into the building and just said, "just wanted to see what the building looked like." Then he walked out, soon Phillip showed up inbetween riding his 6 horses of the day and judged each kid's horse and told each one how to correct their display, which kind of saddle to use, how to set them up properly to be accurate and then found a reason to give each kid a blue ribbon. He talked to them, and spent more time than I would have expected for such a busy guy. Later we went to his van and my son pulled off his boots because the girls refused, LOL. That was funny.

I think besides his talent, he is genuinely a nice guy who helps people and is encouraging to riders, no put downs. I've watched his jumping clinic and he took his time showing a rider who was obviously nervous, to fix her problem and until she got it right he had her do it again but always in a very constructive manner.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

thanks so much for posting these videos...does Phillip Dutton really breathe like the rest of us? watching him ride gives new meaning to the phrase "lighter than air"...:cool:

blackwly
Oct. 18, 2009, 02:49 PM
What happened with Jennie Brannigan and Cooper? It looked like they didn't have their usual awesome preformance this weekend. Scoreboard has them as retired in SJ?

Love that horse, by the way.

Lamma70
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:01 PM
What happened with Jennie Brannigan and Cooper? It looked like they didn't have their usual awesome preformance this weekend. Scoreboard has them as retired in SJ?

Love that horse, by the way.

I just looked at the Fairhill blog, and it sounds like Cooper got distracted and ran into a fence. I hope he is going to be okay. Jingling for them!!!

J3D1
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
I just looked at the Fairhill blog, and it sounds like Cooper got distracted and ran into a fence. I hope he is going to be okay. Jingling for them!!!

Do you mean the Fair Hill Live Blog at www.eventingnation.com?

Halfling
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:35 PM
I was there and saw Cooper crash the oxer. it looked to me that he got in a bad spot (or was distracted) and slammed the brakes on at the last minute and took out the fence. Jennie Brannigan retired and he was visibly lame as she left the arena. I saw the FH vet looking at him in the warm up afterwards. The vet was removing studs and wrapping the left hind leg. Cooper was extremely lame on the left hind. Poor guy. The horse ambulance was used to transport him out of the area.Jennie was visibly upset. I am jingling that his injury is not serious. He is such a beautiful horse. Does anyone that knows them have any updates on how Cooper and Jennie are?

LexInVA
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:47 PM
Oh poo.

ridexc
Oct. 18, 2009, 04:55 PM
Kat -- you and I and a select few others know how absolutely huge that is. :winkgrin:

Cheers,
Karen.

NeverTime
Oct. 18, 2009, 05:40 PM
Apparently organizers of Galway Downs are putting things in motion to add a CCI*** to their event at the end of the month so that all the riders who W/D @ Fair Hill and still want to qualify for Rolex next year can do so.

Lots of riders already making plans to drive across the country and give it another shot.

tuppysmom
Oct. 18, 2009, 06:12 PM
My hat is off to anyone who packs it up to drive across the USA. For one thing, they will have a better appreciation for our country. There is a lot of land out there and you just don't understand that until you drive across it. It is one of those things that you need to see to believe. Beautiful.

A cross country road trip will put another slant on everyone's game. It's a bit harder to travel that far, keep the horse fit and healthy, and then do a CCI.

I wish we were more on the way. Everyone would be welcome to stop over at our place, but it would add another 20 hours to the trip.

I hope the plan comes to fruition and we will have a west coast CCI*** in the years to come.

I was just counting from memory and I think there were about 20 "western" horses here for FH. Horses that live an equal distance to FH or Galway.

It should be a lot of fun. Sand and sun, sand and sun LOL.

Threeday33
Oct. 18, 2009, 06:18 PM
I was wondering if Poplar was going to consider doing the same (running a ***). I know a lot of the riders who withdrew from the ** at FH are going there instead. I wish I could be one of them-it is just too expensive and too hard to make another big trip in less than a month.

I am concerned, as others have mentioned, that we now have riders qualified for Rolex who really need another *** or really good Spring preparation to truly be ready, especially with it being a WEG year. They definitely needed to modify the courses at FH like they did, but I don't feel either course was then still a good preparation run for the next level.

I can't say much about the *** course, except it took Brian a really long time to announce the list of fences removed! On the ** course, they took out the 1st loop of the course, which included the 1st water complex. They also took out the 1st part of the angled rolltops and the 2nd part of the cabin to angled brush combination. They removed all 3 corners (1 was following a steeplechase fence and the other 2 were double corners late in the course). In my opinion, the course was now not much more than a * course, obviously with difficult conditions making it harder. As I said before, these were necessary modifications and I'm not saying I disagree with what they did to make it safer.

I withdrew from the ** because I didn't feel the benefits of running outweighed the risks. With the course now quite straightforward and the conditions horrible, what does it teach a horse or rider? Riders become defensive and start showjumping the big xc fences and there is a greater risk for pulled muscles, bowed tendons, or other injuries. A good, confidence building run is not real likely. These horses trust us not to put them in dangerous situations that are too difficult for them to get out of. I didn't feel that I could honestly say I wouldn't be doing that if I ran-there were too many places where the footing would make his job very difficult. I went out and walked the modified course and watched with other riders who were contemplating running and we saw enough trouble only 5 or 6 riders in to feel it just wasn't worth it. There were places just in the galloping lanes, where the footprints went 8 or 9 inches deep. These are now holes, not just footprints! I was supposed to go quite late in the division, which certainly impacted my decision as well.

Does anyone know how the grey horse is who slid into fence 15 early in the ** division (the oxer before the sunken road)? He hopefully just stung himself, but he was quite sore after sliding before takeoff and hitting the front rail of the oxer with a hind leg. When I walked away, he was holding his hind leg up and they were calling the horse ambulance over. I hope he is okay. This was when I knew I was making the right decision to take my horse home and save him for another weekend.

Chrissy

InVA
Oct. 18, 2009, 06:20 PM
phillip dutton= class act

What amazes me is that being lighter than air :yes: he is still grounded. I have never seen him be a snob and seems to remain grateful for his opportunities and remembers his friends no matter who they are. The unsnobby, talented rider. I remember going on a course walk and he showed us how he was going to take this water hazzard and so I decided to go and watch all the riders or most of them and compare. His idea was showing the horse what he was getting into and then asking him to trust him and do it. His horse was brave and did trust him and he did it very nicely while other riders did not take the time to show their horse and the horse was not always willing. That made me respect him a bit more.

At a previous event at FH he was asked to judge a Breyer horse show and my son wanted to do that with one of his few Breyer horses and we didn't know anything about doing this and we used what we had. Very few kids showed up, confusion in the schedule. These kids may not have even had a horse or even rode. First Bruce Davidson stepped into the building and just said, "just wanted to see what the building looked like." Then he walked out, soon Phillip showed up inbetween riding his 6 horses of the day and judged each kid's horse and told each one how to correct their display, which kind of saddle to use, how to set them up properly to be accurate and then found a reason to give each kid a blue ribbon. He talked to them, and spent more time than I would have expected for such a busy guy. Later we went to his van and my son pulled off his boots because the girls refused, LOL. That was funny.

I think besides his talent, he is genuinely a nice guy who helps people and is encouraging to riders, no put downs. I've watched his jumping clinic and he took his time showing a rider who was obviously nervous, to fix her problem and until she got it right he had her do it again but always in a very constructive manner.

Yeah, I'm a fan!

yellowbritches
Oct. 18, 2009, 06:38 PM
Does anyone know how the grey horse is who slid into fence 15 early in the ** division (the oxer before the sunken road)? He hopefully just stung himself, but he was quite sore after sliding before takeoff and hitting the front rail of the oxer with a hind leg. When I walked away, he was holding his hind leg up and they were calling the horse ambulance over. I hope he is okay. This was when I knew I was making the right decision to take my horse home and save him for another weekend.
I can only comment as a spectator, as I don't know the horse or even what happened (I had just arrived), but I saw the horse being led down the road toward the trade fair. He looked full of it, his people had thrown their raincoats over him to try and keep him warm, and I think I overheard his rider say "I think he's ok." The horse LOOKED fit as a fiddle, but again, this was just what I saw as a very unaware spectator.

Threeday33
Oct. 18, 2009, 07:03 PM
That is good news-I bet he just stung himself. That would be wonderful! She rode him great and it looked like he just slid behind as he left the ground. That caused him to hit the fence pretty hard with his hind leg and she fell off. I was only concerned because he was non weightbearing on that leg for quite a while while they were debating what to do. I heard someone call an ambulance and I left just in case it was going to get ugly. I can't watch too much more of that. I really hope he stung himself and is fine!!!

patricia.dasilva
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:18 PM
A few showjumping videos - Boyd Martin winning on Neville, 6th on Remington, Karen O'Connor on Mandiba, Phillip on Kheops and Sharon White on Reggie: Click here for Fair Hill videos! (http://ecogold.blogspot.com/)

More 3* and 2* tomorrow.

gully's pilot
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Karen O'Connor=World's Toughest Woman.

RunForIt
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:42 PM
I was wondering if Poplar was going to consider doing the same (running a ***). I know a lot of the riders who withdrew from the ** at FH are going there instead. I wish I could be one of them-it is just too expensive and too hard to make another big trip in less than a month.

I am concerned, as others have mentioned, that we now have riders qualified for Rolex who really need another *** or really good Spring preparation to truly be ready, especially with it being a WEG year. They definitely needed to modify the courses at FH like they did, but I don't feel either course was then still a good preparation run for the next level.

Chrissy

Thanks Chrissy, from all the eventers who BELIEVE in riders and trainers just like YOU! If you ever need a layover in GA, I'm here. Not fancy, but safe, and I'm 90 minutes from Pine Top, driveway to driveway ...:cool:

Gry2Yng
Oct. 18, 2009, 10:31 PM
Have a safe drive home Chrissy. You are also a class act. :)

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
Just got home last night and dried myself up! Holy crap I've never seen such bad weather at a show.

Didn't see much of the riders in the *** since I was helping someone, but I did see all the ** riders go. Nobody looked like crazy. Everyone seemed to be riding really smart out there. Didn't see the horse hit the oxer, but I heard it. He was 3-legged for a bit, and they had the tarps ready to go and were bringing the ambulance over, but he recovered and walked home. It appeared he just stung himself badly. The rider looked fine.

Never been so wet and cold at a show in my life!

Still had a blast though. Saw some terrific xc rides!

Dressage62
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:49 AM
Karen O'Connor broke her shoulder 5 weeks ago and Jan Byyny broke her foot in August-- I assume the pin is still holding it together. I watched them x-c-- they both looked just fabulous and spot on!

gchildean
Oct. 21, 2009, 03:04 PM

Chrissy

I just received and email from the mother of the rider and she wanted me to let y'all know that he is completely fine and will be back competing later this fall. I know the rider and she has a very level head and is a great rider. When he landed she immediately felt something wrong and hopped off. She showed great horsemanship and they both will be able to play another day because of it.

Threeday33
Oct. 22, 2009, 04:02 PM
Great news! Thank you! She rode the fence great and the horse looked to be balanced and focused. He did everything right, but the slick footing prevented him from jumping it well. It sound like he will be just fine and I agree the rider showed her good horsemanship by checking him over and waiting until she was sure he was okay to take him back to the barn. Anyway, thanks for the update!
Chrissy