PDA

View Full Version : Horses who have pets, or, why is that chicken in the feed bucket?

Rebe
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:39 PM
My 25 yo TB gelding has always been good with animals. He loves dogs, cats, even the stray child that wanders under his legs on occasion. Not only does he tolerate, he actively encourages other species to snuggle up to him. I've seen him trading face rubs with the feral barn cat that no one could touch.

But he's now adopted a nice black and white speckled hen. And she hangs out, yep, right in his feed bucket. It turns out that it's not the left over feed grain that she's after. No, no, she's decided that it is the perfect spot to, you guessed it, lay eggs. Every day, like clockwork.

When the hen is hanging out there, waiting to, um, produce, he gently snuffles her feathers and blows sweet nothings in wherever her ears would be, until she's done and he can get back to his breakfast. And the same horse that used to be an inveterate bucket banger (think beet pulp literally from head to toe), oh so carefully nibbles around the egg and leaves it intact and ready to be collected. Who'da thunk?

cssutton
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
I wooda thunk SALMONELLA.

CSSJR

shea'smom
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:26 PM
Aw, how sweet. Maybe two buckets?

FraggleRock
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:28 PM
a milk crate filled with hay nailed to the wall might work. it worked for a friends chicken who was laying eggs in one stall with the horse.
i think its so cute when horses have non horse buddies. when my goat, fraggle was little, she came with me to the barn i worked at every day (lived in a different barn, same property). she became beeeeeest friends with the nastiest horse in the barn. the horse who would attack other horses non stop for no reason. lunge/kick at any humans walking by etc. yet this mare would allow my little goat to curl up on her hay and try and steal her feed. very nice to see the mare have atleast one friend. personally i liked her and didnt have many issues but she was generally a very unhappy horse, i wish i could have afforded another horse when they sold her!

ArthurGuinness
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:11 PM
We have an older gelding at our barn that has an odd best friend, a 200lb pot belly pig! and yes some get that big! Hamlet, the pig, even stands next to him while he is getting shod patiently waiting for him so they could go back in his stall!

dreamhorse
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:32 PM
My Andalusian/Trakehner mare, Stella, graciously shares her breakfast with two golden retrievers every morning. She digs in, drops the occasional bite on the ground, and they scarf it up. She's ever so careful about not moving her feet. Stella just loves her boys :)

Woodland
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:13 PM
sweet story!

lolalola
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:12 PM
My horses share their field with a dear little grey and white cat. He eats out of their buckets (couldn't figure out what a cat would like - seems to be beet pulp) runs to greet them when they come back a ride, jumps on the fence to be at face-nuzzling height. I refer to him as the 2 hand grey gelding who jumps like a cat.

starrysky
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:33 PM
What a cute story!

ex-racer owner
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
He eats out of their buckets (couldn't figure out what a cat would like - seems to be beet pulp)

I fed my first horse Buckeye feed's Endurance 101 and I swear that there was not an animal that wouldn't eat it. The horses , cats, dogs, mini goats, raccoons. It was a challenge keeping non-horses out of my trash cans filled with the feed.

That particular horse never met a creature he didn't like and the barn had a black cat that used to sleep on my horse's back. It was so cute to see them together.

bap
Oct. 18, 2009, 03:32 PM
I think it is comical that our rooster "roosts" on one of our horses backs at night, we call them the "trio" since the two horses and rooster are inseparable, but your scenerio is a crack up!

Noctis
Oct. 18, 2009, 08:37 PM
Shiver has three kittens who eat every meal with her (yep, they LOVE beep too!), and chill in her stall; Lucky, Skittles and Missy. They sit on her ledge most of the rest of the day and "chat", and Skittles occasionally takes a ride!

Woodland
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79ArrL8VRg

Apparently other animals have pets as well. :D:D

piccolopony
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:36 PM
We have three horses and one goat. Every winter when we put out hay we put out an extra pile for the goat but usually two of the horses try to chase her away just for the fun of it. Our elderly gelding not only chases them away and lets the goat eat but he'll share with her right out of his own pile while looking at her lovingly.

I tease him about his taste in women :D

Wizard of Oz's
Oct. 22, 2009, 11:51 PM
My horse doesn't have hardly any horse friends because he's not very nice to them;), but he has a little kitten friend that hangs out on the top of his stall and uses his stall as a litter box. Ripley gets a little overcurious sometimes and accidently nudges the little kitty off of the top of his stall:lol:

FatCatFarm
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBtFTF2ii7U Another one of other animals with a pet, but oh so sweet.

All of my mares are really good with the smaller animals i.e, dogs and cats and go out of their way not to step on them. Not so much the two geldings. They are tolerant, but only to a point. My Great Pyrenees and my mini jack ass have a mutual adoration thing going on though which is quite cute.

appaloosalady
Oct. 23, 2009, 01:32 PM
My miniature stallion has a large potbellied sow for a best friend :D. She was a rescue from the local animal shelter and he didn't have a buddy to live with - so I put them together and it was pretty much love at first sight. She has a doggy Igloo in the paddock for shelter and he sleeps next to it with his nose in the door waiting for her to come back out.