PDA

View Full Version : fun video: Wicklow Pony Club Hunter Trials

JER
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:06 PM
Just a reminder that:

-- you don't need a fancy horse
-- you don't need a wedding's worth of decorations around the fences
-- you don't need to be perfect

Wicklow Pony Club Hunter Trials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4r_Tyu08g8)

Enjoy. :)

3horsemom
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:20 PM
thank you.
i loved that(and those cute ponies).

eclipse06
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:20 PM
Looks like good fun! Thanks for the link :)

Oct. 14, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you for sharing, so cute

SevenDogs
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:37 PM
I wish we had more of the pairs type XC events. I only did one schooling event that had this format (me on my "been there done that" and my trainer on his greenie). It was great fun and one of my best memories of the "four of us" in the start box together!

wolfmare
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:36 AM
That one white pony in the lead of the pair...just skied over those fences...what great fun!

jumpsnake
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:22 AM
That was awesome!
I've done one 'pairs' hunter pace-- it was great fun and a real confidence builder!

lovemyoldguy
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:49 AM
That's one of my all-time favorite videos...I *love* Ireland and oh my gosh that looked like fun!! Thanks so much for posting.

wsmoak
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:55 AM
Oh I *want* one of those fat grey ponies! At 5'5" I think I could fit on a pony...

ZELLA
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
What a flashback! I stayed at the Bel Air, in that big manor house while vacationing in Ireland in the late 80's. They had excellent school horses, and I got to jump all those jumps with the family who ran the place. Great fun.

Lori T
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:16 PM
What a great video..I will have to pass it along to my pcers! Thanks for posting!

cllane1
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:52 PM
LOVE this! Eventing at its best!

That bank complex is awesome: so inviting!

LLDM
Oct. 15, 2009, 05:53 PM
I wanna go live there with them! What fun. It was like a flash back to my old Pony Club days of yore in Virginia. We even wore those same shirts! :lol: Thanks for that!

SCFarm

carolinagirl191
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:18 AM
Zella, me too!!! We were there in '97. Loved, loved, loved it. Great horses, great people, great fun. My favorite story from that trip involves a day of XC schooling. We had gone trekking for 2 days (no hunting - we weren't that brave) and after seeing the jumps, footing, horses, etc, elected to beef it up a bit. So we met in the yard as usual, there was a bit of shuffling horses (they observed us for 2 days and felt some combinations should be changed for jumping) and we were off. Unlike here where a cross country school involves everyone taking their turn and doing it again of it's not "perfect", we were literally off to school around the country. We rode and jumped for miles and hours. We walked and trotted some, but did quite a bit of cantering on. So this was all done in a single file line w/ space, we could easliy have competed in the video you just saw (there were 11 of us plus the leader and the sweep rider) We were our own calm drag hunt w/out hounds. It all started in front of the stable yard, then into an adjoining field and who knows where we went from there. In the woods, it was very dark and the horses jumped up and down and over creeks, roots. There were a lot of situations that created a natural bounce, like jump over the gnarlly root cluster down onto the ledge, across the stream and out over a hanging log. Tons of fun. You were merely a passanger on a really safe amusement ride. If you sat up and sat solid, the horse never changed rhythm and never missed a beat. Soooo, we were ALL still on and we are crossing a field and the leader turns around and says "it's a bit of a drop". I'm the 4th in line and he disappears. The next disappears as well, so I think sit up, sit back, but where did they go? Third horse disappears and I figure, this guy has taked care of me so far . . .
Well over a sizable drop we go, land, one stride into the road, drop a left shoulder, canter down the road hang a right, over a big stone wall and on we go . . . All on.
I drove back out w/ my husband as this "finale" was near our housing and we stood under the drop. It was 6+ feet - so I know I can stay on over the Lexington Bank (remember when it was a really big bank) . . . Great memories - go if you ever get the opportunity. Thanks for sharing.

Daisey-Bogie
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:01 PM
Boy, can those kids ride. I am sure there are some future advanced riders there. that is just awesome. I wish there were more fun events like that here.

Yip
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:16 PM
That WAS fun! Thank you for posting it!

Those ponies have a lot of heart, and the kids can really ride!

RiverBendPol
Oct. 16, 2009, 06:28 PM
O those Connemara ponies are to DIE for, aren't they? No wonder those kids grow up into such good riders.

Late
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:18 PM
thanks for sharing, that looked like such a blast!!!

FolsomBlues
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:28 PM
What an absolutely adorable video! Thanks so much for sharing, those kids were incredible!