PDA

View Full Version : Possum Killers did it again

vineyridge
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:14 PM
Last night my barn dog got an adolescent possum who was stealing the cat food in the feed room. This time there was no question of it really being dead, as I heard her crunching it as she worked it over. I think she would have brought it home in her mouth, but it was too large for her to carry and run at the same time. She'd take a few running steps, then have to drop the corpse, reposition it in her mouth and start off again.

This is the third year that Pearl has gotten a tack room possum, and I'm very proud of her. :yes: Just a huge brag for my terrier mix killer mutt.

Carrera
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
What a good dog!

trubandloki
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:41 PM
What a great dog! I hope she got extra cookies in exchange for her carcass.

SOTB
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
Yay! Good dog!

OkLurchers
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:58 PM
FYI--sometimes the crunching sound is not an indicator of death/imminent death...that's why they call it "playing possum." Ask me how I know this...

SGray
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:29 PM
umm - how do you know that?

dawglover
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:13 PM
oh I hate that crunching sound. :dead:
Two of my little terrors and one of the catahoulas mauled a possum to death in our front yard last week.
DH took it away from them before they could rip it to shreds as well.

cindylouwho
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:49 AM
Would you like to sell that dog???:)

sisu27
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:10 AM
Would you like to sell that dog???:)

Three words....German Hunt Terrier....get one! Mine is 25 lbs of fearless, murderous hell on stuby little legs! Yet cute and snuggly in the house and doesn't even look at the cats. My Lola makes very short work of just about anything short of a cougar.

OkLurchers
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
My lurcher has caught over a dozen possums in that last few years...The crunching sound is pretty deceptive sometimes because possums are really hard to kill; even when my dog has really worked over one of those suckers, I now never assume it's really dead. A number of times (incl. last week) DH has thought the possum was dead (after much crunching) & thrown said "dead" possum into back of pickup only to find pickup bed empty a little later. They've also gotten out of sacks in the pickup bed after seeming to be dead. In fact, it's a running joke in our house now. Once he was driving down the road with a sacked "dead" possum in the pickup bed only to see it disappear over the side.

dawglover
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:49 PM
yep, DH put our mauled possum in a dog crate just in case it was playing possum...nope next morning it was still :dead:. He buried it then.

The catahoula involved in the murder of the possum weighs nearly 90 lbs and has jaws of steel. Pretty much any vermin she crunches on dies.

Tiki
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure which of my 4 killed the possum in my yard, but I double durn guarantee you that it was dead. They ALL got cookies as they may have helped each other anyway.

crosscreeksh
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:50 PM
Call me gullible...my Great Pyr. has gotten several this year, munches, crunches, "we" - the dog and I- pronounce them dead only to have them "rise again" and leave town. It's amazing how fast a dead possum can run!!! The night before last my barn cats killed a young possum stealing their food!! I didn't know a cat was that tuff!!

TKR
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hubby reported a youngish possum dead from our Border Collie and GSD at one of the stallion barns/run-in. This is the 3rd one for them this year.
PennyG

Uncle Fester
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:00 PM
When a possum plays possum perhaps a pickle may pucker the possum's nose?

Probably

rmh_rider
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:40 PM
Yeah Pearl the dawg! woo hoo

There ain't no good possum, than a DEAD possum. Just think it may have carried epm, so toss away the body. No possum can be too flat.

My mom used to have a license plate thingy on the front of her car here in Alabama, she was from KY, and it said: Eat More Possum!!

All my horse friends cheer when we see one dead on the road. Sad it died, but one less possum in the food chain and gene pool is ok with me. I hate seeing on animal planet people saving baby possums or momma with babies. Sorry, EPM is a horrible thing. Rather see a dead possum than a horse ever suffer with EPM.

Good dawg Pearl!

jilltx
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:31 AM
Not that this will sway any of you one bit...but possums hunt and consume snakes (poisonous and otherwise) rats, AND mice.

;) Not my favorite either, but they are beneficial. Don't forget birds also help spread EPM, not just possums.

Flaming liberal flame suit ON!!! :p

vineyridge
Oct. 20, 2009, 12:38 AM
This is just the circle of life. Dogs were meant to be vermin killers, and possums are meant to be killed. That's why they have the playing possum instinct. I have nothing against possums per se as long as they stay outside of my feed room and my barn. If they come in from the wild, they deserve whatever they get.

Since this one was an adolescent, I figure it's got siblings out there somewhere. If they stay away from my barn, Pearl won't get um. :)