PDA

View Full Version : Saddles to consider for me????

vineyridge
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm 5'5", have a huge butt, long femur, short lower leg, long torso and longish arms. My current saddle, which I hate, is a Crosby Equilibrium DSL 18 1/2 seat. If my stirrups are the right length for jumping, my knee is past the flap. If my knee is in the right position in the saddle, my stirrups are too long.

I had a Roxane S with the regular forward flap, and my leg was right. Unfortunately it was too narrow for my current horses, so I sold it, and it really is made more for WBs. I have 3 TBs, all with withers and all with fairly wide backs--not slab sided at all. I'd like a saddle that would fit all of them reasonably well, and think that a Regular or Medium ought to work.

One of the sales Amerigos looks like a real possibility if the long thigh bone will work well in that saddle.

Thoughts, please, on saddles to fit my situation. :yes: Need a XC saddle, the more forward the better.

purplnurpl
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:44 PM
everyone I know (that has this saddle) is very pleased with it.
Apparently it fit a long leg.

http://www.legacytack.com/pc/10196/SADDLE/Courbette+Vision+Close+Contact+Saddle.html

LovinRocky
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:50 PM
Wow Purplnurp, I was thinking the exact same thing lol! And I know someone that has a nice one for sale!!!
By the way, by new Jaguar fits the Machine perfect!

SEPowell
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
The Jeffries Flyover is great for a long femur and very comfortable. It didn't hurt my high withered tbs but slipped a bit during hunting; however, my mares do not have wide backs. A friend has a wide backed mare and she seems to have no problems. I have both a wool flocked and the foam version and the foam version seemed to accomodate their withers better.

If you try one make sure to follow their recommendation to get a size larger than your usual size.

scubed
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:54 PM
A couple long legged folks I have know really liked the Courbette Vision. The others I have heard are Prestige, Dominus, and Black Country. This is all heresay, as I am short :lol:

Carolinadreamin'
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:40 PM
Black Country, hands down.

scribbles
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:57 PM
i have the long femur thing going on too, and i have a albion saddle that I love.
it fits very well, and the people that sell them have you do a shaping of your horses back to give you the right size for your horse

subk
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:36 PM
I just bought a Black Country Quantum from Trumbill Mtn. to fit my 5'10" self/daughter. It is semi-custom at an off the rack price. The saddle is an 18 with 1" forward flap adjustment and is an excellent fit for us. They sent us a demo (17.5 w/normal flap adjustments) then by looking at pictures of us sitting/riding in it they were able to determine appropriate sizing and adjustments. I think they nailed it even taking into consideration that the DD has a year or two of growing left.

We were also able to add back gussets, front gussets, and a butterfly panel underneath to augment fitting our broad backed qtr horse.

IFG
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:20 AM
I am short (5'3"), but I have a long femur. I really like the older Ainsley Chester. There are great deals to be had on these. I found mine in great used condition on Ebay for $350.

SparklePlenty
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:46 AM
Cant say enough good things about my Albion Ultima Kontact.. LOVE that saddle! 2 people at my barn have even purchased it after riding in it. :)

scubed
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:51 AM
Long Femur aside (mine isn't), I really loved my Albion Kontrol, but it was too narrow for horse I got and the Devoucoux I have has the advantage of having fit everything I've put it on.