PDA

View Full Version : Comfort crowns and wide nosebands

Mali
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:34 PM
I'm in the beginning stages of shopping for a new show bridle for next year (lower to mid level hunters) and am trying to determine if I should stick with a "plain" fancy stitched snaffle or go for something with either the new comfort crown systems OR the wide noseband. I have a Tb with a fine, but long head, so I thought the wide noseband might look good on him. I need some die-hard hunter rider opinions, because I expect whichever bridle I purchase to last me 10+ years! I don't want to be stuck with something that falls by the wayside in 2 years. I currently have an older plain raised Courbette that is due to be retired to schooling status.

spmoonie
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:17 PM
Depending on you budget, Edgewood, Jimmy's, Aramas, Pessoa, Smartpak, Hadfield's, and Herve Godignon all offer bridles with a beautiful wide noseband. Personally, I have an Edgewood wide noseband bridle and it is beautiful! I cant speak for quality though because I have only had it a few months. I also have a Hadfield's and it is just about as nice as it comes. The quality is unbeatable and the leather is like butter. It is by far my favorite bridle (all though, the one I have is a regular caveson). If money is not an issue, I would choose the Hadfield's, Jimmy's or Herve Godignon. On a smaller budget, the Pessoa, Smartpak, Edgewood, and Aramas are also of good quality. If you decide to go with the comfort crown bridle, I believe Antares and Dyon both make Gorgeous models with this feature. I have heard excellent reviews of both, however I do not own either one. Also, try CWD...they may offer the comfort crown.

Lkramer
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:50 AM
I don't do the comfort crown. I don't like bulk or even alot of padding. I LOVE the traditional wide nosebands. It is very flattering on several of my hunters, and I love the look for the derby classes. There are several on Ebay right now that have some pretty good deals.

naters
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:15 PM
I don't do the comfort crown. I don't like bulk or even alot of padding. I LOVE the traditional wide nosebands. It is very flattering on several of my hunters, and I love the look for the derby classes. There are several on Ebay right now that have some pretty good deals.

I have a Vespucci with a padded crown (all one piece) and a wide noseband.

I like it, I think they are a little overpriced for the quality, but I do like the bridle, and have been happy with it.

pattnic
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:19 PM
If you're looking for something that will stand the test of time, I would look for a bridle with a wider but not "wide" noseband, if that makes sense (noseband about an inch wide compared to a 3/4" brow).

The wide nosebands are very traditional and nice, but I don't think they will look as timeless as some other options. I think that within a few years they will again be regarded as "dated."

Geeka
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:11 PM
I agree with pattnic. I've got this bridle: http://www.doversaddlery.com/stubben-raised-snaffle-bridle/p/X1-12158/cn/1612/

I love that the noseband is wider than the browband, but still not terribly obvious. It looks nice on my mare's huge head. :D But of course, it doesn't match my new saddle.

Mali
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:46 PM
So I decided to go with the Pessoa Fancy Stitched Padded Wide Noseband bridle. Since I'm adding a new canine to the family in a few weeks, I opted to give myself a budget. I think this bridle will look smashing on my little TB with the longish face.

http://www.equestriancollections.com/product.asp?groupcode=ER02043

thanks for all the previous responses!