PDA

View Full Version : Havent Bridle Shopped In a while....

eqrider1234
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:40 PM
I am looking to buy a new schooling bridle since my $45 bridle that I bought five years ago is finally getting ready to kick the bucket :no: haha, I have an Aramas show bridle that I absolutly love, and I would like to have something similar but for schooling. I want to stay around the $100 range for bridle and reins since it is only going to be for schooling, and I was wondering your opinions on both the:

SmartPak Harwich bridle and the Ovation Hunter bridle?

Also I ride mostly Warmbloods so what size do you find fits them, like I said I havent bought a bridle in a while :cool: would it be full? or O/S?

If you guys know of any other bridles with good quality leather, does not have to be fancy stitched, and I would prefer padding please let me know :D:D

SkipChange
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:48 PM
There's a lot of SmartPak fans on here. Bridle sizes seem to run big IMO these days, but hopefully someone who owns one might know better. I'm a fan of Collegiate bridles for cheap yet durable, I've got one that's probably 4-5 years old and still in grat condition (around $100)

mojo7777
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:07 PM
I have the Ovation Plain Raised Padded, and I like it very much. Since I already had some nice Bobby's reins and only wanted the headstall and cavesson, I ordered from justbridles.com to get the pieces I wanted. It was 100.00 without reins. I'm very happy with the look and the quality, especially since it's been oiled and cleaned a few times. The browband and noseband were a little stiff at first but they're perfect now.

Ty2003
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
I just bought TWO Smartpak bridles. What is wrong with me? LOL

I bought the Harwich for my appendix gelding but it looked funny on his head. The padded one is pretty big and he has a small, fine, TB-looking face. So the Harwich got reassigned to the Oldenburg mare. It looks amazing on her. It's a F/S and it fits her really well. But she also has a delicate face - not the really heavy, big heads that some warmbloods have. I then bought the raised fancy stitch Plymouth bridle for my gelding (F/S) and it's adorable on him. A really good deal for $50 and it looks great.

MsRidiculous
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:16 AM
I have an Ovation as my every day bridle and am really happy with it. The size compares pretty closely with Edgewood IMO.. a bit big. My 2 1/2 yo warmblood (who does not have a dainty head ;) ) is towards the top holes on everything on the full.

Rhody Ram
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:03 AM
Just bought the wellfleet after admiring it all summer. It is very nice but about a month in it began leaking glue severly. They told me that can happen if it is soaked in oil. I only oiled it lightly on separate occasions- I never dip my tack. It is going back and they are replacing it for free. I really hope it does not happen with the second bridle.