View Full Version : herd management software

Oct. 13, 2009, 06:53 PM
I'm looking for herd management software that can be used for horses & alpacas. I've looked at several of the alpaca specific programs that are available, and they're all either extremely difficult to use or have poor or no customer support if you run into problems.

We have a breeding herd of 20+ alpacas, so I need something that I can easily use to keep track of breedings, dewormings, any special care & feeding, and training.

And if I have something for the alpacas, I'd also like to be able to use it for my 2 ponies.

My parrots don't really need anything special, so I don't need something I can use for them, but I'm also getting 15 ducks & 2 geese next year, so I might need something I can use for them.

Oct. 20, 2009, 09:03 PM
Any suggestions?

Forgot to add that it needs to be Mac compatible.

Oct. 21, 2009, 06:10 PM
The program my bosses/owners of the thoroughbred stud farm use is called "Stable Eyes" i believe. Haven't been able to find it online but i may try and ask them where they got it from. Also they are in australia and working on a PC.

Would love it if it came for Macs as well.

Perhaps stud farms in north america use something similar or the same??

Oct. 21, 2009, 07:08 PM
Just found this which may or may not be useful for you. I haven't used it personally but do know one of the vets who helped designe it.

Oct. 22, 2009, 03:23 AM
That looks interesting, but probably very expensive. And it doesn't appear to be Mac compatible.

Oct. 22, 2009, 04:14 PM
I hadn't looked at it closely but i can check into it since my friend works with the vet who designed it.

Will get back to you about it.

Oct. 22, 2009, 04:22 PM

Oct. 23, 2009, 01:45 PM
Yup talked to friend. Cost close to 2000 :S but would work for ya needs but also not mac friendly. Why can't software companies make mac friendly things in this day and age??

Let us know if you find anything please.

Oct. 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
Why can't software companies make mac friendly things in this day and age??

Let us know if you find anything please.

Because then everyone and their sisters, uncles, cousins brother couldn't call themselves a "designer" or "engineer" :winkgrin:

I started on a Mac 25 years ago, drank the Microsoft koolaid for a few years to make clients happy and now I am happily back to Mac. I am puddling with developing a purty nice application for just this sort of thing but it is many moons off.

I like rendaviu right now. I don't like that I will have to install it on my old windows laptop if I want to use it for lessons this spring though. The online version is sufficient for me for now.