PDA

View Full Version : Staying in shape while in college

Elevation15
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:14 PM
I am in college and can't ride regularly. I was just home for a few days and rode, but the next time I will be able to ride is around Thanksgiving.

When I rode yesterday and the day before, I felt really loose and all over the place. I don't want that to happen every time I ride after taking a few weeks off!

I want to start a fitness program that will really keep me in shape for riding. I bought The Rider's Fitness Program and brought it back with me to school. Has anyone followed this program and had good results? I was thinking about alternating the workouts in the book with a day of cardio.. any suggestions on good forms of cardio to do?

I have access to a pretty full gym and am willing to work out every day. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

superpony123
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:55 PM
don't devote an entire day to cardio and one to non cardio. inefficient ! you should be doing small bits of cardio evenly dispersed when you work out--every time. doing ten minutes of cardio and then lifting weights, and then going back to doing abit more cardio, then trying something else, then cardio again (all in the same day's workout) is a LOT more productive than running several miles one day and then just lifting weights the next day.

Kikki
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:41 AM
Good circuit training will offer a lot of strength and cardio training in one workout, so that's a good way to go. I have a friend who is VERY fit who just bought Gillian Michaels' workout book (it has a whole bunch of things in it, including menus, workouts, etc) and its kicking her butt! She gets lots of cardio while doing it because you continually go in to the next exercise. I think the book has you do something like 4 days of circuit, 1 day of straight cardio (I like the eliptical because I can't run because of my ankles. Power walking on a nice day is also a favorite) and 2 days off.

theblondejumper
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:40 AM
And remember too that you should do what works for you! I found yoga to be a great exercise for us riders. :)