PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation critique please- how much does a toe out bother you (or your horse )?

reallyredflowers
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:55 PM
I am evaluating a jumper prospect- he is a 7 y/o off the track TB, surprisingly quiet stallion. He has done some jumping training and has been working in dressage over the last 6 months. She bought him as a grand prix prospect, then got super busy with work and other horses.

He has wonderful movement, uphill gates and lots of balance an impulsion- but he has a pretty severe toe out problem on the right front. He does not paddle- his front right just sticks off to the side. I had a vet look at it and although he saw that his legs don't interfere, his opinion was that the horse would not resell as a jumper and could have problems down the line. I immediately passed on this horse-

I don't have a budget for "perfect", while my instinct tells me to keep on looking, I thought I'd see if there were any opinions/experiences out there that would help. The owner is a lovely person who's experience with one's like this did not prevent her from buying him, but I have never seen one this bad and thought I'd check what other people's experiences may be- (he's got bell boots on, but you can def see it)

Do you have one? Does it affect them down the line? Has it hampered resale?

Thanks for your help/opinion!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43521839@N05/?saved=1

ShadyLady_DQ
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:10 PM
Very pretty OTTB, I have one also (no toe out) who looks very similar. He looks very up hill, and alert with a good attitude. He is kinda ribby, although that is very fixable. God knows its a constant stuggle with a tb ( I swear by Omega Horseshine which is an omega 3 and 6 supplement and localorie feed). As for the toe in, I have no experience with that. Also hard to tell to much from the side (although it is obvious). I think you should go with your gut. Dont know your budget, but xrays may tell you more about the future (or maybe not idk).

Anyway, beautiful horse, I love OTTBs. Hope you find the "perfect" (for you) horse!
Good Luck, ShadyLady_DQ

EquineLVR
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:12 PM
Well I guess it just depends... I have an OTTB that toes out in both front feet - fairly dramatically.. however since he has had better shoeing, good, correct training (lots of trotting and walking), regular chirprator and good supplements - its actually gotten better.

He jumps wonderfully - he is not going to win the hack. However I never bought him to win the hack.

To me if you can work around it and the horse has every thing else you want I would buy him.

For a vet to say he COULD have problems down the line - I take that with a grain of salt as ANY horse can have problems down the line and most do. Just depends on what you feel ok with personally.

Good luck!!

RugBug
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:12 PM
He has wonderful movement, uphill gates and lots of balance an impulsion- but he has a pretty severe toe out problem on the right front. He does not paddle- his front right just sticks off to the side. I had a vet look at it and although he saw that his legs don't interfere, his opinion was that the horse would not resell as a jumper and could have problems down the line.

I've got one that toes out significantly on the right front from the fetlock (knee/canon are straight). I've had him for almost 7 years. He does not paddle, but does interfere quite a bit...always wears hard shell front boots unless he's showing). He injured his suspensory on that leg last year. He's back sound and in work, doing fine. I can't say for sure that his conformation lead to the injury, but it probably contributed to it. IMO, buying any horse is a risk, so why buy one that could have a predisposition to injury? There are enough other horses out there with better conformation. If this horse had already proven he could stay sound doing what you want, that's one thing. But one that is just starting the training to get to where you want to go? I'd pass.

my instinct tells me to keep on looking

I think that is your answer. Go with your gut.

PNWjumper
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:51 PM
I would go with your gut on this one if that's really what your gut is telling you.

With that said, my old trainer/farrier (who is a GENIUS at picking out "diamonds in the rough") always told me that he didn't mind a horse that toed in or out. He wanted the leg to be straight from knee to fetlock, but a rotational crookedness (does that make sense?) was okay. My old AO Jumper toed out fairly significantly on both of his fronts and never had a soundness issue in the 10 years I had him and showed him through the level 8 jumpers. From what I've heard he's still going strong and sound 5 years later with his new owner.

When picking out horses for myself now, I would probably pass on a conformational issue as described. But that's just because I'm not confident enough in my ability to judge the conformation AROUND an issue like that to determine whether it will pose a problem or not.

dani0303
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:59 PM
Personally, it depends on what I plan on doing with the horse. We have a FANCY pony hunter who toes out, but at 3' it doesn't give her any problems and I'm not concerned with long term soundness. For a big jumper prospect, I'd be concerned about how it may effect him over time.