PDA

View Full Version : Where was Rumba???

Claudius
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
Looking for him at Harrisburg having seen his name in the "order of go" but he did not appear.

phoenix mom
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:53 PM
CBOYLAN posted that he was sold. I would love to know who that lucky person is.

MHM
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:14 PM
Somebody VERY lucky! Congrats to them!

3Dogs
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:16 PM
others on other boards have noted he was sold. Gossip flies fast, particularly when you can assume many $$$$$$ involved. Missed seeing his grey self at Harrisburg - always interested to watch outcome when John French no longer the ride, because to me, he is a genius with just about every horse he touches.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:11 PM
3Dogs, there are plenty of other very talented pros out there who can make that horse go brilliantly. The horse was successful with its kid in the juniors too, so obviously he's not too much of an idiosyncratic ride.

I'm not trying to discount John in any sense, but rather defend the next pro who has inherited Rumba. (Lucky.)

CBoylen
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:15 PM
From what I understand, although it may just be gossip and who knows how true ;), the horse was re-purchased by the previous owner.

ponymom64
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
3Dogs, there are plenty of other very talented pros out there who can make that horse go brilliantly. The horse was successful with its kid in the juniors too, so obviously he's not too much of an idiosyncratic ride.

I'm not trying to discount John in any sense, but rather defend the next pro who has inherited Rumba. (Lucky.)

Whomever gets the ride is a very lucky pro. John did an awesome job on him but I'm not totally sure I agree about the easy ride, I pulled up the junior record and it is just OK, for me, I would not consider it to be a particularly outstanding record for a horse of this quality, especially considering that the horse and John were undefeated in the 2nd years. Perhaps, the kid gets nervous or whatever but the horse was truly great for JF.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:00 PM
Whomever gets the ride is a very lucky pro. John did an awesome job on him but I'm not totally sure I agree about the easy ride, I pulled up the junior record and it is just OK, for me, I would not consider it to be a particularly outstanding record for a horse of this quality, especially considering that the horse and John were undefeated in the 2nd years. Perhaps, the kid gets nervous or whatever but the horse was truly great for JF.

I agree with that, but I still believe that the horse can be truly great another pro. As great, time will tell, but I don't think it's fair at this point to imply that another pro can't/won't ride the horse as well.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:02 PM
From what I understand, although it may just be gossip and who knows how true ;), the horse was re-purchased by the previous owner.

If that's true, that would be a client of Erin Duffy's, I believe.

MHM
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:19 PM

Huh. Interesting. Wonder if that person has been kicking him/herself for letting the horse get away in the first place? :lol:

3Dogs
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
eek - did not look up prior record. Had no idea of prior record. All I know is more than one trainer of talent has commented that buying from a John ride might always lead to a let down :lol:;) I wish all the best for whomever has bought this fine horse, and may they continue to win in whatever divisions they choose to enter!

BAB
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:23 PM
I, too, heard at Harrisburg that the previous owners bought him back. Nice for Erin Duffy, if all is true.

Alterrain
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:40 PM
wow I can't believe the siebels would let them buy him back, its not like they need the $$$, he wasn't going well or that taylor is aging out.

LovesHorses
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:33 PM
I was told her was for sale a few wks ago. Congrats to the new owners, lucky busters!

khobstetter
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:22 PM
The old owners did not buy him back....but none the less, don't be surprised if you see Erin in the irons again.....

As for Taylor...she really want to concentrate on the jumpers.

Sparky
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:24 PM
I heard it was Speilberg. True?

SweetTalk
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:19 AM
Oh my. Who is this horse everyone seems to be all abuzz about?

showmom858
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:27 AM
If Erin is riding that means he will be back her in SoCal for us to see!

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:41 AM
Oh my. Who is this horse everyone seems to be all abuzz about?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

Here you go- winning the $100,000 Hunter Derby Finals this year.

two sticks
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:44 AM
here is a photo I took of him in the Thermal Hunter Derby last year..

http://www.sararoxannephotography.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=8&p=2

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:46 AM
I heard it was Speilberg. True?

Does he have a kid who shows?

I do vaguely remember some (bad) plan he had a few years ago to build an underground barn in California, but I thought that was for his wife's horses?

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:50 AM
here is a photo I took of him in the Thermal Hunter Derby last year..

http://www.sararoxannephotography.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=8&p=2

Nice pic!

Though it seems like he's looking for the jump to be set a bit higher. :lol:

LovesHorses
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:52 AM
Yes, his daughter has some incredible ponies.

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:59 AM
Yes, his daughter has some incredible ponies.

Ah. Thanks. Does she have the same last name?

ponymom64
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:57 AM
Ah. Thanks. Does she have the same last name?

Her name is Destry but they ride out of a barn in Long Island.....

dags
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:09 AM

Think it was a bit better than "just okay". I expected to see a giant hole of DNPs, or wins in classes of 6, but that's not the case. Very few horses go out and win every class, every time, though it certainly helps to have JF on their back. He came home with blues from the majority of shows, and spent quite a bit of time showing in just the Green divisions. "Kid" really didn't have that many shows in the juniors, took a break, and then reappeared in the AOs. Unfortunate as it is for sale horses, many of those lackluster ribbons are the fault of their pilots. Seen many nice horses reign in their divisions for a year, get sold, then have a hard time placing the next year. Kid/ammie hasn't figured them out yet, loves to eat the groundline. Typically if they stick with it long enough the horse starts winning again . . . if they don't you're suddenly looking at a great horse with a crappy recent record to try and sell.

That last bit was more of a digression, never saw Rumba before JF made him famous so I have no idea how he went. But considering he began showing in 2007 it's possible he grew up and matured as a show horse just in time for John to hop in and plug in his "magic" key.

Will note, he did seem to bomb at Cap Challenge in '08, anybody see that and think to remember it at the time??

CBoylen
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:14 PM
That last bit was more of a digression, never saw Rumba before JF made him famous so I have no idea how he went. But considering he began showing in 2007 it's possible he grew up and matured as a show horse just in time for John to hop in and plug in his "magic" key.

Will note, he did seem to bomb at Cap Challenge in '08, anybody see that and think to remember it at the time??

What do you mean? That horse was champion first year and grand green champion at cc 2008 with Erin Duffy.

Tha Ridge
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:32 PM
Her name is Destry but they ride out of a barn in Long Island.....

Really? I don't think that's true. She showed this summer in CA with Erin Duffy, Lori DeRosa, and Cece Bloum out of Newmarket. That's why I believe Erin will still have the ride.

dags
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:16 PM
What do you mean? That horse was champion first year and grand green champion at cc 2008 with Erin Duffy.

ah, see that now. The preceding record entry on USEF is a full slate of DNP at Cap Challenge Eq Week . . . interesting way they entered that.

So again, he seems to have had a fair amount of success before John got him. Best of luck to new owners, I'm sure Erin is thrilled to have him back.

BAC
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
Really? I don't think that's true. She showed this summer in CA with Erin Duffy, Lori DeRosa, and Cece Bloum out of Newmarket. That's why I believe Erin will still have the ride.

Spielberg spends summers in the Hamptons, on Long Island, she probably has a "summer trainer" - I'm pretty sure I have seen her name mentioned on the LI circuit too.

Release First
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:42 PM
I saw that Destry had a pretty new gray at home but it was covered in a cooler so I didn't pay that much attention to it. Next time I will :-)

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:03 PM
I saw that Destry had a pretty new gray at home but it was covered in a cooler so I didn't pay that much attention to it. Next time I will :-)

Yes, please do! You could confirm/deny the rumor for us. :lol:

Lucky girl if it's true. :)

naters
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:13 PM
Either way, sounds like a lucky girl!! :)

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Either way, sounds like a lucky girl!! :)

You're right! :lol:

It does seem funny to me that they summer in the Hamptons- from California??

I can see it from the New York area, or even from the Northeast in general, but California? That seems like a long way to travel just to relax. Don't they have summer resort areas on the West Coast? :lol:

dags
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:36 PM

I can see it from the New York area, or even from the Northeast in general, but California? That seems like a long way to travel just to relax. Don't they have summer resort areas on the West Coast? :lol:

Everyday's summer in California so not so much :) Plus, there are few areas with enough exclusitivity to keep out the hordes of tourists; there is really no "Hamptons" equivalent out there. And finally, sometimes you just need a break from the left coast :D

two sticks
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:45 PM
Nice pic!

Though it seems like he's looking for the jump to be set a bit higher. :lol:

Thanks! Yes, it does seem like he thinks that oxer should be a 4' option :lol:

BAC
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:46 PM

No matter how much nicer the weather may be in CA, the Hamptons is "the" place to be for celebrities to have a summer home. Every celebrity has a home in the Hamptons now it seems and the Speilbergs are no exception.

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:48 PM
No matter how much nicer the weather may be in CA, the Hamptons is "the" place to be for celebrities to have a summer home. Every celebrity has a home in the Hamptons now it seems and the Speilbergs are no exception.

I know. That's why the line is so long at the Golden Pear every morning. :lol:

BAC
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:53 PM
I know. That's why the line is so long at the Golden Pear every morning. :lol:

That's why the weekend traffic on the LIE is so horrendous too. :lol: Maybe having a "summer trainer" will become the next celebrity essential. ;)

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:08 PM
That's why the weekend traffic on the LIE is so horrendous too. :lol:

Honestly, I've thought for years that the only way to really enjoy the whole Hamptons thing would be to have a helicopter so you could skip the LIE part of the experience. That traffic is a nightmare! Not to mention the endless line of cars on Route 27 once you get out there- way too stressful.

I will say it's a beautiful area, and I've had fun out there- once the summer "season" was over!

BAC
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:13 PM
Honestly, I've thought for years that the only way to really enjoy the whole Hamptons thing would be to have a helicopter so you could skip the LIE part of the experience. That traffic is a nightmare! Not to mention the endless line of cars on Route 27 once you get out there- way too stressful.

I will say it's a beautiful area, and I've had fun out there- once the summer "season" was over!

The CEO of a company I used to work for bought his own helicopter just to avoid the LIE traffic to his summer home in Quogue. He wasn't the only one, either. And I stopped vacationing in Montauk about 20 years ago, its just too crowded in the summer. But you are right about going there after the season is over and the crowds are gone, very beautiful and some fabulous barns out there too. :yes:

Equinoxfox
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:39 PM
Would love to see Pictures of those barns. ;)
Anyone got any to share .

Parker_Rider
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:53 PM
In class, and it's embarrassing to be seen drooling this much...
What's this horse's breeding? Whoever bought him is insanely lucky!!

Release First
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:12 PM
Confirmed that he is the new gray of Destry's that I saw the other day. Lucky girl!

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 01:48 PM
Confirmed that he is the new gray of Destry's that I saw the other day. Lucky girl!

Thanks for the info, and congrats to her! :)

farmgirl88
Oct. 15, 2009, 02:42 PM
that is one lucky girl.

Claudius
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:55 PM
She is a lucky girl, no doubt about that. But I can only imagine the PRESSURE she may feel showing such an unprecedently successful horse!!!

mikali
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:10 PM
In class, and it's embarrassing to be seen drooling this much...
What's this horse's breeding? Whoever bought him is insanely lucky!!

Rumba is a Danish Warmblood gelding.
Bloodlines: Carano x Limebrand x Irak

Carano competed as a showjumper. A Holsteiner by birth, he was the Danish Stallion of the year in 2004, but passed away this year at the age of 18. He's had a number of successful offspring in both jumping and dressage.

Limebrand competed in dressage.

gasrgoose
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:11 PM
She is a lucky girl, no doubt about that. But I can only imagine the PRESSURE she may feel showing such an unprecedently successful horse!!!

Or the fun she will have riding such an amazing horse. It's not like it was the family's last $million.

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 06:03 PM
It's not like it was the family's last $million.

Nor like she's the first or last kid to get a famous horse. Maybe the seller also threw in a case of Saddle-tite? ;)

Hope she has fun with him. :)

Moli
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:54 PM
And can you possibly imagine buying FOURTEEN of those fabulous "ranked" horses and not qualifying on ANY of them for two years?!!!! Amazing to me that parents think that they are "doing right by their kids"......oh, I forgot: The quote that came from the dad was "they might outride my kid, but I will always outbuy them..." sad but true:confused:

Claudius
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:07 PM
And can you possibly imagine buying FOURTEEN of those fabulous "ranked" horses and not qualifying on ANY of them for two years?!!!! Amazing to me that parents think that they are "doing right by their kids"......oh, I forgot: The quote that came from the dad was "they might outride my kid, but I will always outbuy them..." sad but true:confused:

WOW Moli...did THIS Dad actually say that?? Who were the other fourteen???

Beezer
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:22 PM
Destry SpIElberg is 12 years old. IIRC, she has pretty much been riding ponies, and has been doing quite nicely for herself.

Please cite the source of the quote you attribute to her father. :)

Equinoxfox
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
OH yes....You must complete this one . We all want to know the source this came from.;)
DO TELL....

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:31 PM
And can you possibly imagine buying FOURTEEN of those fabulous "ranked" horses and not qualifying on ANY of them for two years?!!!!

Why exactly should that concern anybody else?

If a kid is riding and showing and having fun- who cares?

Note: I don't know this particular kid or anything about her ability. I just don't see why it would be anyone else's business.

Equinoxfox
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
BOY TALK ABOUT A VERY GOOD POINT ..... Makes Sense ;)

Moli
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
I did NOT attribute that quote to SS (her father). It was said by an equally eloquent/rich father of a junior who rides out of Wellington and the middlewest. I believe that it is a thought-process that is imagined by quite a few juniors now-a-days!

She didn't do anything at Harrisburg in hunters or jumpers....clock is ticking.......:cool:

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 08:58 PM
She didn't do anything at Harrisburg in hunters or jumpers....clock is ticking.......:cool:

And this involves you because...?

alteringwego
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:00 PM
lucky kid for sure but I can't imagine the pressure of being 12 and riding THAT horse. I'd crumble! No Brianne nerves of steel here.

Beezer
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:08 PM
I did NOT attribute that quote to SS (her father). It was said by an equally eloquent/rich father of a junior who rides out of Wellington and the middlewest. I believe that it is a thought-process that is imagined by quite a few juniors now-a-days!

Nice back-pedaling. :lol: If you re-read your quote, particularly in the context of this thread, it suuuuuuuure looks like you did. And if you are not talking about the sale of the wonderful Rumba to the Spielberg family, then what is the point of what you are imagining you are saying and how is it germane to this thread?

Again, Destry Spielberg is 12 years old. She has been showing ponies. She has been doing well at it -- including ribbons at Harrisburg. I'm not sure why that has your knickers in such a twist, but I, for one, consider her a very lucky girl to have parents who support her this strongly (i.e. with a lot of money) in pursuit of her passion.

And if you're not talking about the sale of Rumba to the Spielbergs, why again are you bringing your own personal baggage onto the thread? :confused:

SkipChange
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:19 PM
Oh dear, let's all play nice. Rumba is a lovely horse. Let's not get into a cat fight.

MHM
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:22 PM
Agreed, SkipChange. Let's not get sidetracked.

bascher
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:40 PM
Nice back-pedaling. :lol: If you re-read your quote, particularly in the context of this thread, it suuuuuuuure looks like you did. And if you are not talking about the sale of the wonderful Rumba to the Spielberg family, then what is the point of what you are imagining you are saying and how is it germane to this thread?

Again, Destry Spielberg is 12 years old. She has been showing ponies. She has been doing well at it -- including ribbons at Harrisburg. I'm not sure why that has your knickers in such a twist, but I, for one, consider her a very lucky girl to have parents who support her this strongly (i.e. with a lot of money) in pursuit of her passion.

And if you're not talking about the sale of Rumba to the Spielbergs, why again are you bringing your own personal baggage onto the thread? :confused:

Who did she ride at Harrisburg? I'm honestly just curious I swear haha!

phoenix mom
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:49 PM
She showed Love and Laughter in the large ponies. Nice for Rumba to have a little girl to give him hugs.

BLBGP
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:32 PM

Why would you post this here if it's not about this family?

clearound
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:26 PM
From what I have heard (repeat heard) Chanda is correct and Rumba was sold back to its previous owners. The horse that the Speilbergs purchased was a different gray horse whose name I will not release just in case it is not true. Can anyone here confirm if this child or her parents purchased Rumba. If not, why is anyone talking about it.

LovesHorses
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:55 PM
I was told from someone that was at Harrisburg and "in the know" that he went to the Spielbergs.

MHM
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:20 AM
Hopefully somebody will put a big ad in the The Chronicle soon to verify it! :lol:

lauriep
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:55 AM
Moli = jealousy.

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:09 AM
Wow can you imagine your pony to horse transition taking place on Rumba? I had a hard enough time on my saintly QH!

hj0519
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:53 AM
From what I have heard (repeat heard) Chanda is correct and Rumba was sold back to its previous owners. The horse that the Speilbergs purchased was a different gray horse whose name I will not release just in case it is not true. Can anyone here confirm if this child or her parents purchased Rumba. If not, why is anyone talking about it.

I'm pretty sure people have confirmed earlier on this thread that he wasn't sold back to his previous owners and that the new gray of Destry's was Rumba.

2bayboys
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:21 AM
This thread is just one more reason I would hate to be even remotely famous, at anything, because it makes people feel they have the right to talk about, analyze, criticize, and condemn absolutely everything you do. There are tons of kids who did and did not get ribbons at Harrisburg. There are tons of horses that got bought and sold.

While I consider the new owner of this lovely horse to be extremely fortunate, I do not envy the intense spotlight that must exist every time they walk in the ring. Anonymity is blissful.

skyy
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:13 AM
Has anyone ever lucked into a really nice, talented horse who you personally couldn't ride well but other people could? I have. It was demoralizing and the self induced pressure was terrible. Just because a horse costs a ton of money and others do well with it doesn't mean that the next owner will. I wish Destry the best and hope to see her and Rumba out and about and having a good time.

showmom858
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:19 AM
Well since Destry shows here in SoCal sometimes, I am looking forward to seeing Rumba at the shows. I hope Destry does well and has lots of fun with this wonderful horse!

Tex Mex
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
The funny thing is, that kid probably has no idea that there is a messege board out there talking about him, that people obsess over him, and she probably doesn't think John French is anything better than her own trainer (Duffy is a badass in my opinion :)). It's likely that she just thinks she's ready for a horse, this one was a great match, so let's move forward and buy him. I wouldn't be surprised if a kid like that doesn't feel any pressure at all. I hope she has a great time with him.

dani0303
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:35 AM
If Destry indeed got Rumba, congrats to her! I wish her all the luck in the future with that fabulous horse

dags
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:47 AM
The funny thing is, that kid probably has no idea that there is a messege board out there talking about him, that people obsess over him, and she probably doesn't think John French is anything better than her own trainer (Duffy is a badass in my opinion :)). It's likely that she just thinks she's ready for a horse, this one was a great match, so let's move forward and buy him. I wouldn't be surprised if a kid like that doesn't feel any pressure at all. I hope she has a great time with him.

Yeah, until someone sends her a link to this thread :(

BAC
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, until someone sends her a link to this thread :(

That would be mean, let's hope no one is nasty enough to do that.

dags
Oct. 16, 2009, 12:28 PM
That would be mean, let's hope no one is nasty enough to do that.

I don't think sending a link to someone is the nasty part of this equation, nor do I think it is required to clue this poor 12 y.o. into the fact she's the subject du jour. Not exactly an obscure BB.

ponypro123
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:04 PM
Congratulations to Destry!! I hope she has tons of fun on this wonderful horse! She is a 12 y/o girl and should not be trashed on an internet forum or have pressure put on her just because she is riding a famous horse. Let the girl enjoy her new horse and move up at a pace she is comfortable with. I wish her the best of luck with her transition to horses!

chunky munky
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:41 PM
A number of years before people made the same comments about Jessie Springsteen. I hope that Ms. Spielberg will rise above the same way that Jessica did. She performed as a great rider. My hope is that Destry will follow the same suit. Work hard, win hard. Best to you Destry.

findlymine
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
Alli have to say about this is let the kid have fun and learn as much as possible.

Parker_Rider
Oct. 17, 2009, 01:54 PM
She showed Love and Laughter in the large ponies. Nice for Rumba to have a little girl to give him hugs.

Seriously... He still gets to be a big show horse with an ego, but every horse I"ve known has LOVED being spoiled by their little ones ;) Congrats to Ms. Destry, she gets to learn on a fab horse!! I'll put $ on the fact that this could be the beginning of a great partnership, esp if she has the work ethic.

Dapple Dawn Farm
Oct. 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
What do you know...he's on the cover of this month's PH :)

CDNJumperGirl
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
I wish her nothing but the best with this lovely and talented horse- but holy what a "first horse" to have! Hang on kiddo!

Mara
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:51 PM
Somehow I don't think they'll just be turning her loose on him in the show ring, at least not right at first! I expect he'll get pro rides for another year or so.

Bethe Mounce
Oct. 26, 2009, 05:21 PM
What a marvelous opportunity! I don't suppose she would let me "borrow" him now and then??????? :)

khobstetter
Oct. 27, 2009, 02:46 AM
What do you know...he's on the cover of this month's PH :)

He's also on the cover of ShowBiz....3 times.

FastBreak
Oct. 27, 2009, 03:51 PM
The horse is amazing he is going to be purchased by someone with money, I'm not sure why this is an issue? I'm new but I would hope with so much out there that this isn't the main sample of what people talk about on here. Sure she is a famous "kid" in regards to her family name, and that means people will be interested, but if they are not asking for your money to buy the horse then it is their business not any of ours, right? I have had my share of crazy people to deal with at shows who simply have to invent the bad in people and can't accept other people's success, being on the recieving end of hateful gossip out of jelaousy it made me take a closer look at how I might perceive things and even treat people without realizing it. It's the horse world, spoiled, mean, nasty,jealous are going to go hand in hand with kind, compassionate, friendly, nice, caring it is a mixed bad, I look for the good and enjoy my horses and am grateful for our success.:)