PDA

View Full Version : WEG 2010 Hotels

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:01 PM
OK...as a B-Day gift to myself....I bought tickets for all the eventing phases for WEG 2010. Can't count on going as a groom...so I will go as spectator! Now...where to stay.

As most hotels seemed booked, this is going to cost me. That's fine....gift for myself and all. I can eat soup for a few months and pay this off.

SO I'm reaching out to all you wiser COTHer's who have been to KY before. Where should I stay?

Looks like there are still rooms at the Marriot Resort (Griffin Gate)....that is a golf resort (don't play that frustating sport)...but there is Spa. That is plus (of course makes it a bit too easy to spend even more of my $$;))...seems to be very close to the Horse Park.

Space at the Hyatt Regency Lexington and also The Crowne Plaza (the Cambell House).

So given your choice....where do you recommend I shell out my hard earned cash.

horselady82
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:16 PM
Sheraton four points. Its nice and not too expensive

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
Sheraton four points. Its nice and not too expensive

thanks. Going through the WEG web site it said that hotel was all booked but when I went directly to the hotel's web page, I was able to reserve a room. So it must have been just booked for their special rate.

now I have time to decide whether I'm driving or flying in....probably driving. Looks to be a bit less than a 10 hour drive....so not too bad.

Regal Grace
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:48 PM
If they are not booked up the Hilton Garden Inn (opened about 2yrs ago) or Marriott Fairfield Inn. Have stayed at both for Rolex and was very satisfied with both. There is also a Hampton Inn in the same area right off the exit (I think 126). Georgetown is right before the exit for Iron Works Pike to KHP.

khp vol
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:33 PM
There is a new (open 3 or 4 mo.) Fairfield Inn at Exit 115 (Newtown). It's 6 or 7 stories tall so it has a lot of rooms. It's right next to Sheraton 4 Points.

blaster
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:51 PM
Weird, the Marriott site is showing the nearest Marriott's 30+miles away? Egads, the Sheraton is up to $499/night!

Threedaydream
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:48 PM
Ditto what someone else said... check in georgetown. It's closer to the HP than most hotels in Lex.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:16 PM
Weird, the Marriott site is showing the nearest Marriott's 30+miles away? Egads, the Sheraton is up to $499/night!

scary truth is...most were getting up to that cost.....glad I'm not staying long! I found a few more affordable....but I need a room with double beds and those seem scarce.....I'm treating my mom to the trip as well...and while I love her dearly, no desire to share a bed and can't make her sleep on the floor!:D

Most of the hotels are also doing a no cancellation policy. Basically you pay the full amount NOW. Guess they know they have us over a barrel.....but it should be fun and worth it!

ETA: Fairfield looked booked for the dates I wanted. For those looking...a few rooms left at the Hilton Garden Inn (but I had already booked at the Sheraton).

Hilary
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:57 AM
What's the drive like from Louisville to Lex? Right after I bought our tickets (Dressage Freestyle, XC and Show jumping) I looked at rooms and got discouraged. It LOOKS like it's a strong hour's drive but might be cheaper to fly in there and stay in Louisville and drive to the WEG daily.

Or is that nuts?

CookiePony
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:08 AM
Don't think it's nuts, Hilary, because the WEG management thought it was worth booking blocks of rooms in Louisville and I bet a lot of people will wind up staying there.
I decided to stay at the Shaker Village in Harrodsburg-- under $200, about 40 minutes away, and a nice place (or so I hear). I usually stay at the La Quinta when at the KHP but it was already booked when I looked at the hotel listings very soon after they went on sale. I bet lots of teams/ volunteers, etc. are staying there.

SimplyIdle
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:27 AM
My mom and I got totally screwed. We were able to purchase our tickets early. We tried to make hotel reservations, but everyone said it was too early, call back on this date. When we called back on that specific date, they said they were all booked and had been that way for weeks. URGH!

We have been avid guests at the Marriott for over 20 years and can't believe this happened (much less the PRICES! One night hotel stay is more than both of our tickets for the entire eventing session!) Needless to say, we won't be staying at the Marriott in the near future.

Good luck everyone!

asterix
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:31 AM
I think what happened was that the WEG housing people (who I have NOT been impressed with) got commitments from all the local hotels to block out rooms beforehand. If you went through the WEG folks in the pre-sale period (this summer) you could get decent close in rooms, although STILL for 2x+ what they go for during Rolex. We got a room at the place we usually stay at for around 200 bucks a night -- which is ok since we will cram 4 people into it...

When I spoke to hotels directly they told me I had to go through WEG to get rooms. WEG is also claiming that you will not be able to drive and park at the site, but will have to take shuttle buses that will go 'round to all the hotels on their list.

kind of steamed but we ponied up anyway as we really want to go!

DLee
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:51 AM
Wow. What a way to screw everyone. It's embarassing and disappointing. :(

Hilary
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:00 AM
OK, if you are not allowed to drive to the site, how do they expect people to get there if they are not staying at a local hotel??

I can see, though, the shuttle bus system alleviating the ned to park cars of all the people at the close by hotels.

I'm sure it will be a giant cluster$%#. But we're going anyway! I'm bringing my mom, who is not all that old, but being small and grey-haired has been pulling off the 'little old lady" schtick for a long time. Between that and my "dumb blonde card" we might do OK. :)

asterix
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:05 AM
I don't know, I worried about that before I caved and decided to go for The System.
I guess you can drive TO one of the hotels on the route and park there...

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:39 AM
WEG is also claiming that you will not be able to drive and park at the site, but will have to take shuttle buses that will go 'round to all the hotels on their list.

You can buy parking passes....they may be limited however. Lookes like Preferred Parking was $100 a day and Premium was $60 a day...or something like that. I think from the parking it still looks like a decent walk to get places...damn on the map this park looks huge!

If you don't buy those parking passes....there is a some central location (well away from the Horse Park) that you can park and then take a shuttle....there will also be some shuttle services to the hotels directly or lastly....you hire a sedan to drive you.

This is a pretty expensive event....both to put on and attend.

asterix
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:16 AM
Well, I'm struggling to imagine why it is so much more expensive than Rolex -- I mean, obviously, it's on a bigger scale, but for the customer, going for the EXACT same days, staying in the EXACT same hotel, it's something like 2 1/2 times as expensive, and instead of parking included with your ticket, you either have to shuttle in or pay a ridiculous fee to park.

gully's pilot
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:50 AM
I imagine they'll do something similiar to what we experienced at the US Open golf tournament--have everyone park somewhere offsite, some big field, then shuttle people from there to the event. It wasn't a bad system.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:02 PM
Here is the link for information on parking

http://www.alltechfeigames.com/content.aspx?id=3106

The above link has the information on purchasing parking passes. Here is what it says for the free parking:

Our primary park and ride location is the Coldstream Research Campus, approximately five miles south of the Kentucky Horse Park. This service is being provided by the World Games 2010 Foundation FREE OF CHARGE. You can gain access to the Coldstream Research Campus park and ride location by turning onto McGrathiana Parkway from Citation Blvd. The park and ride buses will run from September 25, 2010 until October 10, 2010 starting at approximately 6:30 am and running until 2 hours after the completion of the day’s final competition.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:13 PM
Good luck getting into the Cracker Barrel there on Stanton Way :D (That is the closest to the Horse Park by only a few miles.) I was there this past Friday for opening day with Keeneland - and mind you in was poor weather - and it was already hard to get in. During Rolex it is just as bad. I cannot imagine how those places will cope with the volumes of people with WEG.

You might want to check - although at this point likely booked too - the Fairfield Inn on Hackney Place (which is next to the Four Points, LA Quinta, Knights Inn, and Wyndham). The reason I cite it is because they just did a huge expansion with most rooms only being completed and occupied in the last few months. There is always a chance that cancellations or rooms were heldback until construction was complete.

Marriott's Griffin Gate is certainly nice as resort but in my view vs. other Marriott's it is overpriced on any given Tuesday, if you will, without anything special going on in town. It is a popular business hotel, they know it, and you'll never see deals with it.

DLee
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:23 PM
Turning this little place into a B&B is sounding better all the time. :lol:

Glimmerglass
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:50 PM
Keep in mind you aren't the only one looking for a place: so too is this unnamed Int'l Equestrian Team (http://www.justicerealestate.net/LeaseFarm.html) :)

slp
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:04 PM
Don't forget all of the smaller hotels in the area that are NOT part of the Short's hotel robbery. Many Super 8's and the like, at the same exits as many of the ones that Shorts is charging a fortune for (over $200 a night for a Holiday Inn Express? I don't think so!) have availablity and have just opened up their 12 month out reservation window; confirmed, no prepayment, you can cancel if you want, etc. You just need to do a little legwork on your own. I just booked at a NEW budget motel in a great location and since I am staying for 7 nights (damn show jumping, why does it have to run so long?) I won't get maid service daily, but that is worth the trade off for $36 per night! It's only a couple of miles to the park and ride site, and now I can afford to eat while I am there. :lol: :winkgrin:

roki143
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:06 PM
Don't forget all of the smaller hotels in the area that are NOT part of the Short's hotel robbery. Many Super 8's and the like, at the same exits as many of the ones that Shorts is charging a fortune for (over $200 a night for a Holiday Inn Express? I don't think so!) have availablity and have just opened up their 12 month out reservation window; confirmed, no prepayment, you can cancel if you want, etc. You just need to do a little legwork on your own. I just booked at a NEW budget motel in a great location and since I am staying for 7 nights (damn show jumping, why does it have to run so long?) I won't get maid service daily, but that is worth the trade off for $36 per night! It's only a couple of miles to the park and ride site, and now I can afford to eat while I am there. :lol: :winkgrin:

Good thinking! We have to be there the whole time, so the housing situation was a huge concern. I was just able to book ours at $30-$60 night for the whole 18 days.

ozjb
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:14 AM
So, for someone coming from overseas, how in the heck does one find these cheaper hotels??

It's fairly daunting to try and book this from the other side of the world!

khp vol
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:42 AM
So, for someone coming from overseas, how in the heck does one find these cheaper hotels??

Here's some help; this is a list of hotels compiled by Equestrian Events (the folks who run the Rolex (RK3DE)

Outside Lexington: http://www.rk3de.org/visitor_guide.html

Inside Lexington: www.visitlex.com

FWIW, the Winner's Circle in Georgetown has something of a cult following as a clean, inexpensive place to stay.

Good Luck!

slp
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:49 PM

Or try AAA, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc. The regular booking period for hotels is normally 50-52 weeks out depending on the property.

Bacchus
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:42 AM
$499/night for a hotel room! We are charging about the same (for the entire stay) for our house! That is just unbelievable.

There is a new efficiency place off of Richmond Rd. that is $179/week, including cleaning service. Not sure what they are charging during WEG. I'll try to find the name.

slp
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
I spoke with the manager of the budget motel where we are staying, and she told me that the general consensus among the hotels that are NOT participating in the "official" accommodations deal is that it is absolutely price gouging (and this budget motel is on the same street with several of the "official" places, so it isn't like it's out in the middle of nowhere).

carolinagirl191
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:12 AM
O.K. I tried to do this last year and became fed up w/ the process, so much $$$, no adjusting, no changes. With one email and one call I have booked 5 days for $362.95. It's not fancy, but it's close and I can cancel by the first of Sept 2010 w/ no penaitly - no problem!
THANK YOU COTHers!!!
Now it's done! Time for planning, planning, planning, and building excitement.

Watermark Farm
Oct. 16, 2009, 11:27 AM
I was able to book two rooms at the Red Roof Inn, South Lexington (only 8 miles from horse park), a double for $199/night. It's a motel, but it's something.

I called the WEG office and they said that major hotels/motels in Lexington/Georgetown will have hotel shuttle service to a WEG shuttle stop.

I have my $1500 in tickets locked in a vault! This WEG thing is gonna be essspensive, Lucy!

Badger
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
Thank you, thank you COTHers! I just booked three rooms at a budget motel and am paying less for 9 days than some of the other hotels are costing for a single night. Here's a tip: one of our rooms is only needed for five days, but it turns out it is cheaper to reserve it for seven nights at the "weekly rate" and pay for the unused nights, than it is to pay for just 5 nights at the "nightly" rate. And I can cancel up until day of arrival.

Robby Johnson
Oct. 18, 2009, 12:24 AM
This is exactly why I'm NOT going to the WEG. These prices are ridiculous and the only sense I get from the management is exactly what someone else said, "Stick it to me." For as much money as this will cost the average eventing spectator, I'd rather go to Hawaii or Cabo. MHO of course, but it doesn't leave me with any warm fuzzies for the organizational effort.

EventFan
Oct. 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
WOW! :eek: Talk about taking advantage of the consumer!

RedMare01
Oct. 19, 2009, 12:02 AM
What's the drive like from Louisville to Lex? Right after I bought our tickets (Dressage Freestyle, XC and Show jumping) I looked at rooms and got discouraged. It LOOKS like it's a strong hour's drive but might be cheaper to fly in there and stay in Louisville and drive to the WEG daily.

Or is that nuts?

It's not nuts. It's a beautiful drive down I-64, about an hour. Book soon though. And I recommend finding a place off 64, around Blankenbaker Parkway or Hurstbourne Road would be perfect.

Caitlin

DLee
Oct. 19, 2009, 09:03 AM
The Baymont, where we used to stay for Rolex before moving here, wants over $300/night. :eek: Crazy.

jumpsnake
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:02 AM
The extended stay bluegrass place told me they weren't gong to take reservations until the 1st of the year, and that is what Winner's Circle as well as many of the off-brand places in Lex. told me as well. I was able to find a smoking room at a budget place.
I'm going to try the extended stay and see if I can get a non-smoking room...
Also-- try hotels in Winchester and Mt. Sterling- Winchester is only about 30 miles, Mt. Sterling about 45 miles. They don't have a ton of hotels but may be reasonable.

Does seem like price gouging-- Econolodge told me that they didn't have the rates set yet.... seems fishy.

Marney
Oct. 19, 2009, 10:34 AM
I just booked rooms in Frankfort...It is a ways away but we are flying into Louisville so it is kind of right in the middle. It was tough to find reasonable rooms. I am going to be spending enough money on the event I didn't want to spend a ton on a hotel room.

dirtgirl
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all the great information on hotels - holy cow - guess I'll be doing my homework to get a hotel for the eventing competition portion of WEG!

But here's a sidenote - when a group of friends went to Hawaii over the holidays for the millenium - we too, ended up having a pay a premium at the place we booked on Kauai, BUT, when we got there, the interest hadn't lived up to the hype. We found out we had paid a significant chunk of change more than others who booked later. The alpha female among us sat down with the manager, and we got the difference back.

I saw this with a trade show in Atlanta - book through the event - major payola - just call up a hotel for their regular corporate rate? Half the price.

Holly Jeanne
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:04 PM
Don't think anyone has yet mentioned Harrodsburg or Danville as possible places to stay. Danvile is one hour from the horse park but it's an easy drive. Personally, I'm kind of hoping someone will provide a shuttle from Danville. Hmmm, maybe I should do that. :lol:

LauraKY
Oct. 29, 2009, 02:11 PM
There's also Richmond, exits 90 and 87 off I75. Also Berea, just a little further down. Berea's worth a side trip anyway. It's called the arts and crafts capitol of Kentucky. The Boone Tavern Inn is a lovely place, just renovated. I hear they even have bikes available for their guests. Richmond is about 45 minutes to an hour to the horse park in decent traffic. Just avoid the LaQuinta. The only problem that I can see with the hotels outside of the greater Lexington area is going to be transportation and parking. If you're not at a hotel with a shuttle, I can imagine the traffic and the parking will be a nightmare. I would thoroughly check out any hotel you book to verify that they will have a shuttle if you need one.

Remember, those of you from out of the country, the US is not great at public transportation. We all seem to love our cars.

Kentucky also has some pretty archaic liquor laws. Fayette County (Lexington) is a wet county, Madison County (Richmond & Berea) is moist, meaning you can only buy liquor within the Richmond City Limits.

khp vol
Oct. 29, 2009, 04:25 PM
If you're on a budget, Richmond is a good place to look for a (relatively) cheap place to stay since the major employer is a college (Eastern Ky Univ.).

tecumsea
Oct. 30, 2009, 01:29 PM
FYI, One will not be able to drive themselves to the KHP and Park for the games. They are going to have parking areas through out the Lexington, Georgetown area and shuttle everybody in and out.

So get a Hotel that will be easy to get to and near other thigs to do. Look at the 110 exit area.

ozjb
Oct. 31, 2009, 02:39 AM
I'm getting more depressed by the minute! LOL Trying to get tickets, find a decent hotel near a parking lot with a shuttle to the event . . . . how the heck do I work all this out from Australia?? I did try Expedia, Travelocity and those type pages, but it seems to be too soon to put the dates into their system.

I am wondering if there are any travel agents that might help?

Ordering the tickets seems a bit of a nightmare as well. For each session I want a ticket for, I have to pay handling and shipping? How much does that add to the price of the ticket? I haven't gotten that far in the ordering process as we have satellite internet that always seems to have a meltdown at the most inappropriate times.

Now I know there are going to be visitors from overseas, but they must be either a whole lot smarter or richer that I am! :-)

I sort of operating on the theory that dirtgirl experienced in Hawaii . . .if I dither about long enough I might fall into a better deal.

lucretia
Nov. 1, 2009, 07:17 PM
we are all horrified in europe at how much it is going to cost us. And i used to live in lexington so i know the area and have made many of the suggestions on other posts. if i come i am staying with a friend in Richmond but the parking thing concerns me as i will have cameras and laptop (being a press person) and some of that stuff is heavy to carry!

Absolut Equestrian
Nov. 1, 2009, 07:31 PM
Many Lexington residents are predicting mass chaos during the WEG, and are planning to get the heck out of town during the games. You might want to look into renting a house for the games for considerably less than one of the official hotels.

There is an "official" site for home rentals: http://www.eventhomeleasing.com/

Listings have started popping up on Craigslist as well.

skgerbino
Nov. 13, 2009, 12:12 PM
Louisville is a good hour from the Horse Park, but you could check hotels in Shelbyville (just off I64 about 45 min. to KHP) or Frankfort only 30 min. Another option may be staying at a "horseperson's" home. I'm in Oldham County,about an hour from the KHP and would be willing to put folks up. I know of others who would do the same. My husband and I will be working the 3-Day, so would have something in common with Y'all. If you would be interested, please e-mail skgerbino@bellsouth.net.

CookiePony
May. 19, 2010, 12:12 PM
Bump and shameless plug for my reservation in Harrodsburg, which is now for sale. See my sig line for the link to my ad in the classifieds forum.

ETA: I feel like a slouch for not finding the $36/night rooms five minutes away, like some other resourceful COTHers, but my room was the nicest one at the best price I was able to find late last fall.

ezmissg
May. 19, 2010, 11:39 PM
Interesting timing on this, as a good friend has really started pushing me to go. Does anyone have any recent experience in finding room deals?