PDA

View Full Version : Saddle dye

LovinRocky
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:28 PM
Has anyone ever had their saddle dyed? I just dropped mine off at a leather shop and the guy there said it was no problem to change it to black. He acted like everything would be just perfect, but I am nervous. (Which is not unusual for me lol)
I guess I should have asked you guys before I decided to have its color changed, unless of course anyone else that has had it done has positive things to say.
Thanks!

scubed
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:46 PM
Oh, this is bad. If it is true, it is going to open up a whole bunch of tack that I have managed to resist buying because I ride in all black tack and those things come only in various shades of brown

Hilary
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:01 AM
Well, all black tack is dyed at some point. I don't know at what point they do it and how well another attempt will take - like if they usually do it before the finish is applied a new layer might not seep in as deeply to the fibres.

Most black tack bleeds a little bit anyway, so you will likely have that, but
I might try something smaller than a saddle first, and if it works, go for it.

toeknee
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:48 AM
ditto!
Oh, this is bad. If it is true, it is going to open up a whole bunch of tack that I have managed to resist buying because I ride in all black tack and those things come only in various shades of brown

Let us know how it works out!

LovinRocky
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:48 PM
I am still waiting on the finished product, he said it might be Friday.
He seemed to think it was no problem and he did say he was going to remove the finish and re-dye the leather, then re-apply a new finish. So that follows what Hilary said.
Maybe this will work out good, I am taking a gamble, but will let you know as soon as I do. If it is good, I will try to post pics!

chism
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:59 AM
I have an older Kieffer dressage saddle I would love to have dyed. The biggest thing that worries me is that I'll have a black behind thereafter. ;)

EventingChase
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
I did it! Well, not with a saddle but.....

I bought a new black jumping saddle but all my other gear was brown. So, I dyed my Vespucci Bridle and my leather jump boots black!

It worked out great. The leather guy only dyed the top side of the bridle (he was worried about getting dye on the horses skin) and just dyed the leather parts of the jump boots leaving the thin line lining clean. The bridle was very dark anyway so the diffference between the two sides is not much. At first when I would touch the bridle some extra dye would come off on my hand.... but now it has stopped. I have ridden with the bridle in boots and rein and mud and the dye has not run at all...

LovinRocky
Oct. 16, 2009, 01:18 PM
I just picked it up.........It is perfect.......Looks like a brand new saddle. (I had bought it used on EBAY)
I cant tell it was ever not black. It is all sealed so the dye wont rub off on anything.
I can't believe it, cost me $100.
I highly recommend it if anyone else finds themselves in the situation where your saddle doesnt match the rest of your gear. Assuming you know a quality leather person!!!

leeannev
Oct. 17, 2013, 11:27 AM
I know this post is a bit old. Are you still happy with the dye job on your saddle? Do you mind if I ask who did the work? I just bought a used dressage saddle with the same issue.