PDA

View Full Version : Half chap heights? Need TALL halfchaps! HELP!

JustABay
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:53 PM
After scrimping and saving all year, I have decided to treat myself to a new pair of half chaps this year at the Royal. My dilemma, is that they all seem to be short! I hate the look of too short half chaps, and I want to buy a good quality pair that will last me a long time. I have wasted enough money on cheapie half chaps that only last a year. I have a $300 budget, and want the best. Any recommendations??

SkipChange
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:57 PM
Have you looked at Tredstep size charts? they offer a wide selection.

Also check out http://www.beval.com/Products/Beval-Puissance-Half-Chaps/1080900.aspx
their tall boots are exceptional, half chaps should be nice.

KateKat
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
I just got a pair of prochaps, I really like them and I know they come in taller sizes (I think up to 19?). They're not the most expensive but they're also not the $40 ones either. Good luck, I have the opposite problem...most half chaps are too dang long!

Roxyllsk
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:12 PM
The Ariats come in tall sizes as well - I have not tried the Tredstep, but the new Ariats I bought fit me really well. (my dress boots are also Ariat talls):)

Trixie
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:18 PM
If you have a $300 budget and want the best, I'd look for someone to make you a pair of customs. Maybe not with every option, but you can probably find a pair of decent ones in that range.

Go Fish
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:36 PM
Definately Treadsteps. I have legs longer than anyone I know (38" inseam). The Treadsteps fit beautifully and didn't cost anywhere near $300.

purplnurpl
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:43 PM
If you have a $300 budget and want the best, I'd look for someone to make you a pair of customs. Maybe not with every option, but you can probably find a pair of decent ones in that range.

ditto.

there are no 1/2 chaps that come tall enough for me.
I just deal with the loss of a few inches.

Pally
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
I just got a pair of prochaps, I really like them and I know they come in taller sizes (I think up to 19?). They're not the most expensive but they're also not the $40 ones either. Good luck, I have the opposite problem...most half chaps are too dang long!

I know a very tall girl with prochaps.

The other thing is, I feel like I recall good sales on them at the Royal before....maybe there's a chance that it will be one of those things they put on sale every year. :winkgrin:

JustABay
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:12 AM
I wish I was able to try the Beval ones on! They look awesome!

Does anyone know anything about the M. Decima chaps?? I looked on the Running Fox site, they seem noce, and also is there a size chart for Pro Chaps? I have never heard of them before:)

And lastly, anyone know where to get nice custom half chaps (keep in mind I am in Canada, so that limits me a bit:( )

jn4jenny
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:08 PM

I adore my Prochaps half chaps for their comfort, but they would not be my pick for longevity. They're not cheap and they will last the average "one or two horse 5x weekly" rider a long time, but they would not stand up a working student gig or riding 3+ horses 5x+ weekly.

For longevity, nothing's going to beat the Ariat All Around II's or the Grand Prix half chaps.

But I agree w/ others--for $300 I'd be going custom!

Lazy-Pony
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:49 PM
I got a pair of Dy'on half chaps this summer and they are nothing short of amazing.
They fit like customs, (soft leather, really flattering cut) but are significantly less. I got them at PTO for a steal...$190 and they're usually about $300.
You should really consider them if you have a long leg- mine fit like a glove.

crackerjack
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:09 PM
And lastly, anyone know where to get nice custom half chaps (keep in mind I am in Canada, so that limits me a bit:( )

Try Richvale Saddlery in Schomberg for custom ones.

I got a pair of Tredsteps from an online store in Florida (for the life of me I can't remember the name). My lower legs are really tall (and skinny) and the store had to get them specially ordered from the supplier in Ireland. They took just two weeks to arrive to Ottawa. They were about $135 US plus shipping. They have worn really well and not sunk or got baggy. I'll definitley order another pair when the time comes.

Found the site..... http://www.123tack.com/tredstep-deluxe-half-chap.html

hype
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:35 PM
Ditto on the Treadsteps, they last and fit really well. They have almost unlimited size combinations (width and height).

Stay away from anything Ariat. Haven't had good luck with them lasting very long.