PDA

View Full Version : Riding early in the morning.

tidy rabbit
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
It just makes the whole day better.

Any other early AM riders out there?

I don't have lights for my outdoor yet so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature at the moment. The later sunrise is making it hard to get much done in the mornings. :(

ladipus
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:46 AM
It just makes the whole day better.

Any other early AM riders out there?

I don't have lights for my outdoor yet so I'm at the mercy of Mother Nature at the moment. The later sunrise is making it hard to get much done in the mornings. :(

I've bcome an early am rider since having a baby! i ride when she's napping

Hunter/JumperMom
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:47 AM
My daughter loves to ride early, granted her early is 8:00 (which I think is pretty good for a 17 year old!!), many days she is the only "kid" riding that early, plus she gets most of the rides which turns into free lessons, she can end up riding 5-6 horses by noon by getting there that early, plus no kaos in the rings!

hellerkm
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:51 AM
WE rode EARLY all summer long, I loved it, as much as I enjoy being in the barn I also like getting other things done during the day! We could ride and be out before 11 am and have the whole rest of the day , now my older Dd is in school ( my younger Dd is home schooled) so we can't ride until 3:30 in the afternoon. It drags my whole evening out much later than I would like LOL!!

JinxyFish313
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
In the summer I usually do 4-6 horses by about 9am. Now I ride from 9-12 and teach 4-9pm two days , and ride/teach 12-5 on the other days. I do prefer for them to work before breakfast, but now that its cold and dark its hard to drag myself out there at 5 or 6am like I do in the summer.

Green Acres
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
From spring through fall I ride before work as soon as it's light. But yes, staying dark later in the morning is messing up my day! I love during the sumemr being on my beastie at 6:20am as I can have a more productive ride. Now it's not light until 7:20 and I have to do a quick ride so I can shower and get to work.

Hopefully soon my horse will be back to afternoon rides but he does better in the mornings due to pollen allergies.

SkipChange
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:19 AM
Early morning rides are so satisfying. This summer I was usually up at 430-5am so I could get on and ride before the heat. Last year I remember going cubbing in the dead heat of summer. We were up at 3am and on long before the sun rose, it's on my list of best rides ever.

But of course now that classes (college) have begun again, I can't be asked to get up before 8am!

kellyb
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:25 AM
I am an on and off morning rider. I'm not a morning person by default so it takes a lot to get me back into the swing of things :)

I will probably start going to mornings soon, seeing as it will be getting dark so early.

FlewtheCoop
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Early morning rides are the BEST, especially in the summer before the heat of the day. But, now that the weather is cooling off, there is nothing more satisfying than the warm breath of your horse on your cheek and the invigorating feeling of galloping through the fields in the crisp air!!! Does both horse and human good!

Plus riding in the morning leaves the rest of the day to do whatever you want... AKA spending some quality time with your "husband".

ksully913
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
I LOVE riding early. I'm in college so my early is 7:30 or 8, with my classes starting at 10:30 and 12:15 depending on the day. I love walking back to my apartment in my riding stuff at 9:30 or 10:30 and seeing everyone else just rolling out of bed who already wasted most of their day. I love getting a good start on my day, and I've found that I actually have an easier time paying attention in class when I've already ridden.

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:05 AM
Early morning is one of my fav times to ride! It always starts my day out nicely:)

Keep1Belle
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:09 AM
Riding is the only thing that will get me out of bed in the morning. i used to always do early am rides. getting to the barn by 6:45 to be tacked and on by the time the sun comes up.

Now that my horse is farther from home and work I have to do pm rides...and Im late to work every day because I cannot get out of bed. somehow going to sit in a cubicle isnt that appealing when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am :)

joiedevie99
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:28 AM
I ride before work every morning- usually from 7:30-9:00 or so. It's hard in the winter, but by the time I get to leave work the barn is closed so I don't have a choice.

fancyfooted
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:44 AM
I am so much better in the morning than the afternoon, just in general. I much prefer riding and getting it all done before noon whenever possible :yes:

NeverEnd
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:58 PM
Riding is the only thing that will get me out of bed in the morning. i used to always do early am rides. getting to the barn by 6:45 to be tacked and on by the time the sun comes up.

Now that my horse is farther from home and work I have to do pm rides...and Im late to work every day because I cannot get out of bed. somehow going to sit in a cubicle isnt that appealing when my alarm goes off at 6:00 am :)

Keep1Belle, you have absolutely described my life! I somehow don't "require" coffee when I'm getting up early to go to the barn; but I'm worthless without it when I have to get up for work!! :lol:

Mimi La Rue
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:10 PM
I don't think I have ever rode before 10am. I am more of an evening rider because I am not a morning person at all. Waking up for work is hard enough and on weekends I love to sleep in. However this morning on the way to work I went down to the barn to grab my saddle to ship off for repairs and it looked so nice and calm. I saw a girl riding in the big covered all alone. It rained here so all the outside arenas are closed, so that big covered arena will be stuffed full of 25+ horses later today. :(

Trevelyan96
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:31 PM
Ugh! I wish I could motivate myself to roll out of bed early enough to ride before work, but years of working the 3-11 shift has not only permanently set my bio clock to being a night person, its also caused chronic insomnia. I sleep in 3 hour shifts... from 11 - 2 and from 4 - 7.

Troispony
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:04 PM
During the summer my friends and I would get up at 5:45 to ride. Sometimes we would just go out to the fields and catch the ponies with their bridles and hop on.

theblondejumper
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:37 PM
I LOVE riding early. I'm in college so my early is 7:30 or 8, with my classes starting at 10:30 and 12:15 depending on the day. I love walking back to my apartment in my riding stuff at 9:30 or 10:30 and seeing everyone else just rolling out of bed who already wasted most of their day. I love getting a good start on my day, and I've found that I actually have an easier time paying attention in class when I've already ridden.

Agreed!

Last year I got into a good habit of going to bed around 9 or 10 pm and waking up as early as 5 am to do homework. Plus this past spring I took a class at 7:30 am so I'd see my friends dragging at 10 am while I was all chipper from coffee and the fact that I might have been up for the last 5 hours already! Now that I have roommates this semester (off campus study program) it is a lot harder to get motivated!

When I leased a horse back in the summer of '06 (would love to lease again!) it was so great to be out at the barn around 6:30 or 7 am to ride him before it got super hot. Plus I could be home by 9 am and go on with my day!

PNWjumper
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:46 PM
I'm envious of those of you who are worth ANYTHING in the wee hours of the morning! :yes:

Though I do, on occasion, ride at the crack of dawn, it is only by brute force (as in, the horses won't get ridden at all if I don't get up that morning, and some show or clinic is coming up requiring SOME sort of riding activity prior). And sadly I don't feel any better about having the riding done than I would after riding at 10am or 6pm :lol:

spmoonie
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:19 PM
I rode early over the summer (around 6:00 am), but cant do it now that school has started. I dont get to ride till' about 5:00 pm.

Wizard of Oz's
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:45 PM
I know it's weird, but I love getting up early to ride! Getting up at 3 to go to a horse show doesn't bother me at all but getting up at 7:30 to make my 8am calculus class is hell:lol: During the summer and weekends I usually am at the barn at 6 to be on by 6:30 so I can ride before the gross Texas heat. Plus then I have so much time left in the day instead of riding in the evening. If I'm not off by 8, I pretty much have to wait until 8 at night :P

Timex
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:33 PM
Since I gallop tbs for a living, early morning rides are a fact of life. Its not uncommon during the saratoga track season for my alarm to go off @ 3am, and have my butt in the saddle before 5. And riding 12 or so before 9am. So the idea of being up @ 6 or 7 to go ride my own sounds like a vacation! Thank god I love my job, otherwise... But I truly do love riding early, watching the sun come up, the peace and quiet, I find its a really good start to my day.

meupatdoes
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:31 AM
I would much prefer to fry than freeze, but some of the early morning rides I did on my then 3yo last winter almost made me love winter, even though it was 19 godforsaken degrees when these pictures were taken:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0204090731.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0205090708.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0204090705.jpg

There is something about saddling up, just you and the horse, and padding out silently to watch the world wake up with just your breath clouds to mark the time that puts everything in perspective.

I am an atheist through and through and it is as close as I get to religion.

tidy rabbit
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
meupatdoes

LOVE those photos. SO pretty.

Keep1Belle
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:41 AM
I would much prefer to fry than freeze, but some of the early morning rides I did on my then 3yo last winter almost made me love winter, even though it was 19 godforsaken degrees when these pictures were taken:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0204090731.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0205090708.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/meupatdoes/Trail/0204090705.jpg

There is something about saddling up, just you and the horse, and padding out silently to watch the world wake up with just your breath clouds to mark the time that puts everything in perspective.

I am an atheist through and through and it is as close as I get to religion.

these pics look similar to the bridle paths I ride in the am at the old farm. i would always say people dont know what they are missing, the views you get in the morning with the sun just peaking out through the clouds.

And I am religous but, I agree with you riding is pretty close to religion/heaven on earth for me as well.

caly40
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:59 PM
I switched my hours at work so that I could ride before work. It's a great way to start the day!

Gwendolyn
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:13 PM
I tried a new schedule this summer and I LOVE it! I have quite a few more to ride this year than I did last year, so I'm at the barn by 6 am and usually on Dora (she ALWAYS goes first ;) ) before sunrise. I actually had 6 to do this past Sunday and I had 3 done by 9 am. It felt great! When I start at 6:00, I can be done by 1:00, which is prime beach time! :D

I know though that when it FINALLY cools off here in hot humid southern FL, I will definately enjoy my weekends sleeping in a little bit!!

RugBug
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:49 PM
No way. Can't do it. I'm a night owl living in a early bird world. I stay in bed for as long as possible which means morning riding isn't going to work. I also seriously consider any early morning weekend events, including shows, that will take away a precious day of sleeping in.

Plus, Mr. Horse is spooky enough the riding while feeding/cleaning is going on is NO fun. It's all 'who's that in the hay pile? Must run away. "What was that sound? Oh, manure being thrown into wheelbarrow...still must run away."

Nope, not fun at all.

jumpingpercheron
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:51 PM
ME! I get my riding in early since I work in the afternoons :) And yes Tidy, you're right, makes the whole day better!

EquineRacers
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
Considering I am an exercise rider. I start at 6am and work until 10am. Much prefered, nice and cool out and exercise in the AM is great!