PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of the LA National

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:44 PM
Here is my question: I am from up north, but go to school in LA. I came across an amazing opportunity to lease a cute little mare that belongs to a prominent junior (also from up north), who didn't need her for a few months. We have come a long way in the short time that I've had her, and I really want the opportunity to show her before I have to give her back.

My barn down here is going to the LA National in November, and basically what I am asking of everyone is:
1. How competitive are the AA hunters? Does anyone have pictures of their AA hunters that have shown at LA before? I am aware that this sounds like a bit of an uneducated question, but I have only ever shown up north and am cognizant of the fact that there can be a difference in quality of horse in some of the divisions.
2. What are the costs like? I was looking at the prize blank and they seemed pretty average (show costs comparable to Woodside and Pebble Beach). Have you found this to be correct?

And just for fun...is anyone else going to the LA National?

Here's a picture of the mare (not jumping, just for fun as well) :)http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30700437&l=c9ca5726ff&id=1044030002

Roulett
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:49 PM
Here is my question: I am from up north, but go to school in LA. I came across an amazing opportunity to lease a cute little mare that belongs to a prominent junior (also from up north), who didn't need her for a few months. We have come a long way in the short time that I've had her, and I really want the opportunity to show her before I have to give her back.

My barn down here is going to the LA National in November, and basically what I am asking of everyone is:
1. How competitive are the AA hunters? Does anyone have pictures of their AA hunters that have shown at LA before? I am aware that this sounds like a bit of an uneducated question, but I have only ever shown up north and am cognizant of the fact that there can be a difference in quality of horse in some of the divisions.
2. What are the costs like? I was looking at the prize blank and they seemed pretty average (show costs comparable to Woodside and Pebble Beach). Have you found this to be correct?

And just for fun...is anyone else going to the LA National?

Here's a picture of the mare (not jumping, just for fun as well) :)http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30700437&l=c9ca5726ff&id=1044030002

This is a 2-part show -- are you coming down for the National Preview or the LA National?

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
This is a 2-part show -- are you coming down for the National Preview or the LA National?

I would be going to the National. My barn is going to both weeks, but due to $$ constraints I will only be able to do one (the 11-15).

WillRideForFood
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:13 PM
I'd say the competition is comparable to that of a week at Thermal. It's a fairly large show for LA (with a couple finals spread over the 2 weeks and the pre-green championships), and tends to bring barns from northern and southern CA. However, I do not show in the AAs so I'm not speaking from direct experience.

I'd say check out last years results at www.horseshowtime.com and see if you can scope out some of the competition...

mypaintwattie
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:37 PM
A friend of mine shows the AA's every year there and at other shows- mostly the Oaks. It is competitive, and priced about what the other major A shows around here are.

Sebastian
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
It's a typical A-circuit crowd. I always enjoyed it. Weather can be a little tricky. Had to bail one year due to rain, but generally it's lovely So Cal fall-type weather.

If you come down, let us know! I'm likely to be spectating!
Seb :)

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:54 PM
It's a typical A-circuit crowd. I always enjoyed it. Weather can be a little tricky. Had to bail one year due to rain, but generally it's lovely So Cal fall-type weather.

If you come down, let us know! I'm likely to be spectating!
Seb :)

I'll be there for sure, I think! I've never gotten the opportunity to show in Southern California (because I rode in NorCal in high school), but now that I'm at school down here I'm going with my LA barn. I'm super excited, and trying to get as many hours at work as humanly possible to help fund the show, haha :)

Thank you everyone for the input, and COTH get together for the GP, possibly?

LovesHorses
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
What is the name of the horse? She looks familiar. I am from NorCal. It is pretty similar to Pebble and Woodside. A fun show....good luck!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:42 PM
What is the name of the horse? She looks familiar. I am from NorCal. It is pretty similar to Pebble and Woodside. A fun show....good luck!

Her name is Belladonna, she's from Patty Ball's barn Hunterville. The junior who owns her is named Haley Webster, and was extremely generous in loaning me her old children's hunter :)

LovesHorses
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:48 PM
I knew that was Belle! That is a LOVELY hunter. You put in a good round and will get a top ribbon. I thought she was still at Patty's. Congrats!

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:53 PM
I knew that was Belle! That is a LOVELY hunter. You put in a good round and will get a top ribbon. I thought she was still at Patty's. Congrats!

I am having such a blast with her, and owe everything to Patty and Haley, and then my trainer down here Lucy Stewart, for working out an arrangement so that I could have Belle for a few months. She is such a different ride from the jumper I used to lease, but in a good way--she's taught me to find that hunter pace and hunt down the lines..that's for sure :)

I'm super excited to take her to the show, and I know no matter what we're going to have a blast.