PDA

View Full Version : Just Wow - Horse Show Moms

LockeMeadows
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:04 PM
Yesterday I took a few kids from the barn to a smaller show. Since it is the end of the year, everyone is out trying to pick up those last few points. One of my students put in a fabulous Eq trip (high 80's). Another kid who is leading our Zone with the USEF also had a really great trip. My kid ended up getting the blue; but it could have gone either way. The other kid was 4th or 5th, which I didn't agree with, but the judging was a "little off". The mother came up to me and said "my kid had a much better trip than yours and she should have won". :eek: My kid was riding two ponies (open card) and I don't think the woman saw her Eq trip because there is no way it was that cut and dry. Both kids were lovely OF and my kid put in a very strong flat phase.

What do you say when someone is that rude? I pointed out my kid put in a fantastic trip and she must not have been watching or she would not have felt the way she did. I was honestly shocked the other kid didn't pin as well, but I was not surprised my kid won. Never in a million years would I have said something like that if the tables were turned.

Moral of the story; money doesn't buy class. :)

kellyb
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:10 PM
What do you say when someone is that rude?

"Well bless your heart."

And that's all.

RumoursFollow
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:13 PM
I just ignore them. They are everywhere. The only time I put them in their place is when they are my own customer. That I absolutely do not tolerate. Not within the barn or directed at other showers/parents. I've seen my share of local drama (a shocking amount of which comes from other local trainers.. to which I generally want to respond with a "get a life, man!") and its just not worth it to waste your breath. They will always "know better than you."

suze
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:14 PM
"Well bless your heart."

Yup.

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:15 PM
I would have said, " Dully noted. Have a great day." and carried on. You are so right, money does not buy class.

gasrgoose
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:17 PM

What does money have to do with it? The mom sounds crazy, but how is her economic status relavent?

Trixie
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
"Bless your heart" or "I'm sorry that you feel that way."

amylmac
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:37 PM
There is one in every crowd. I have experienced the same type of nonsense in almost every activity/sport that my now adult children have done. Years ago, my daughter was returning back to riding after a serious car accident and a group of parents, riders and trainer were complaining loudly that she won( in a hunter class) because her equitation was sloppy. They were actually mocking the way she had to carry her head(due to her injury). What a lesson that trainer taught her riders that day!

BelladonnaLily
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:16 PM
I HAVE to ask this. Why is it you think the judging was "a little off" when it came to your kid that got 4th or 5th, but not for the 1st or 2nd place ribbons? Maybe the other mother saw something you didn't and thought the judging was "a little off" too?

Either way, the mother was a jerk for approaching you and saying something like that.

I just always notice when people think the judging isn't good only when it doesn't benefit them ;)

M. O'Connor
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:28 PM
My coach has a way of looking at you and saying "I beg your pardon?" when he hears something extraordinary...

I always wish I could remember to say that at times like you describe. I usually forget, and just answer the person...

But really the only reply that makes sense sometimes is to look at them like:eek:

meupatdoes
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
I HAVE to ask this. Why is it you think the judging was "a little off" when it came to your kid that got 4th or 5th, but not for the 1st or 2nd place ribbons? Maybe the other mother saw something you didn't and thought the judging was "a little off" too?

Either way, the mother was a jerk for approaching you and saying something like that.

I just always notice when people think the judging isn't good only when it doesn't benefit them ;)

She never said that.

She said the judging was a "little off".
She felt between her kid and the other kid first could have gone to either.
Hers happened to be placed first. (This does not indicate to me that she was "fine with 1st and 2nd" since she seems to be indicating that 1st and 2nd was a toss up between those two and one of the two was first and the other placed too low.)
She would have placed the other kid higher than 4th or 5th.
HER kid won.
THE OTHER kid got 4th or 5th.

Just because you happen to win does not eliminate you from feeling the class could have been placed differently.

Meanwhile you are saying I just always notice when people think the judging isn't good only when it doesn't benefit them; and here is someone WHO WON saying/recognizing/admitting/whatever you want to call it, that they feel the judging was off.

Carolinadreamin'
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:55 PM

I think the OP's kid placed 1st while the kid of the classless mom was 4th or 5th.

How about a kid approaching the judge during the middle of the show (followed by and encouraged by the mother) and whine to him, "why don't you like my horse, you're not placing us?" ?!!

Where's the trainer of this kid? If any of us, as parents, did something like that, my trainer would read us the riot act.

RockinHorse
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:02 PM

My favorite is a look of surprise while asking "Oh my gosh, did you really mean to say that out loud?";)

Carolinadreamin'
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
LockeMeadows, if you are like me, I would have been tongue-tied due to disbelief that someone could be that assinine. However, a great answer to her would have been telling her to take it up with the judge and show management if she feels things were so out of whack. She wouldn't do it, but it would be a great comeback.

Coppers mom
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
Just start picking your nose. They'll walk away.

Come Shine
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
My favorite is a look of surprise while asking "Oh my gosh, did you really mean to say that out loud?";)

lol!

the lady of shalott
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:16 PM
rude rude rude.

It brings to mind a story Jimmy Wofford told me at a clinic I was at. Of course I can't remember all the details. But basically he was sitting at a big time show with Bert de Nemethy. And a kid from Australia came up (who had horrid eq, but had just won or placed very well in show jumping) and said "well g'day Bert. Guess I showed you didn't I?" and Bert turned to him and said in a perfect Australian accent "G'day mate. Just imagine how great it is going to be when you finally learn how to ride!"

I would never have the audacity to say that (nor am I recommending it) but apparently it really put the kid in his place!

Starda01
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well, if you can't say something nice, don't say it at all. That mother was out of place.

supershorty628
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:27 PM
Something very similar to this happened to me at an IHSA show... except it wasn't a mom who approached me, it was a coach, and it wasn't a student of mine who had won, it was me. Some people just have no manners.

Clever Pony
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:30 PM
Sigh. Its those parents that make me hate showing.

I barely ever show both for money reasons, the fact that I am an adult (although, I don't look like it!) riding a large pony, and I only enjoy to show when I do it once in a blue moon.

Last year I took my mare in the pony division at a fall fair. It was one of the only times the pony class was open to all ages and where the other divisions did not allow a pony in them. There was a judged warm-up and we trotted in, my mare saw the rides, and stopped dead. That round went terribly and so did the next round. However, for some reason, my last round went beautifully and to my surprise we ended up getting first, which was a first for me and my mare!

While I am standing proud, with my friends/family taking pictures of me with my lovely ribbon, a father comes up to me, who is entirely oblivious, asking about her height. I figure he's a father who knows nothing and is admiring my horse, so I quickly say she's 14.2hh and go back to my pictures. He comes back many times, talking about how she looks too tall to be a pony and demands that she be measured to prove that she's actually a large pony and not a horse. Now, this is only a fall fair and I won only one class and didn't even place in a single other one, including all of the flat classes. I'm entirely speechless and rather emotional about him talking about me getting disqualified, so my friend gets tired of him harassing me about her height and goes on to tell of her being passported a large pony. He then wants to see her passport (cause you know... I bring it to all the fall fairs...).

Nothing ever actually happened and he never went to complain, but its made me never want to go to that show again.

I'm not sure what happened to being a good sport.

breyerblu
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:12 PM

In a confidential whisper to the offender..........

"Don't look now but your poor sportsmanship is showing"

mvp
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:16 PM
Say "I'm so sorry you feel that way." And look sympathetic or stoney, depending on your mood.

Or, "Really?" With huge, wide eyes. As in Do you really think a) the judge is too be doubted? b) that another competitor is the right person to complain to; c) (with a certain amount of sarcasm) that you give a rat's a$$, or d) that she really said something so rude out loud.

magnolia73
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:35 PM
Wow. It's just a horse show.
The witch in me would say "next time, slip the judge a $50, works every time" ;)

dghunter
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:20 PM
Going off of magnolia's post... "try sleeping with the judge, works every time" :lol:

I really like the :eek: "Did you really just say that out loud?"

ElizabethVT
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:00 PM
Hi there,
This is my first post. I couldn't resist the topic. My day job is PR Director at The Emily Post Institute, and I can tell you that speaking up in this kind of a situation is A.O.K.

Was this mom's behavior rude and inappropriate? You bet.

More and more, we are asked about how to respond to rudeness. It's all too prevalent. In a perfect world, we'd be ready with a snappy comeback, but any of these lines would be appropriate:

"I disagree. It was a competitive class and there were several strong trips. This time my rider came out on top."

I also like the suggestion of recommending that she take the matter up with the judge and show management. Oh, and good luck with that!

or

"Wow, the stress of the show season must really be getting to you." Yes, that is Emily Post-approved and should stop her in her tracks.

and

The picking your nose idea is perfect and fabulous.

Best wishes,
Elizabeth
www.SheRidesIpay.com

Lucassb
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:31 PM
"Perhaps they will invite you to judge, next time."

Said with a smile.

chunky munky
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
As a person that judges many shows I reccomend " Here's to ya".

superpony123
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:22 PM
I think these occasions are excellent for throwing in something extremely unusual that makes no sense (really, just slap a few random big words together, the mom will be so dumbfounded that she'll just walk away with a confused face)

or you could pick your nose or something :)

or say something in a foreign language (but make it obscure! i mean, tons of people speak spanish and french. i doubt many horse show moms know much russian or italian or something ;))

OR a good old "bless your heart!"

:lol:

Coreene
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:38 PM
Reminds me of one of my favorite bumper stickers: Jesus loves you. But the rest of think you're an asshole.

bookwormdude
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:32 AM
"I never did mind the little things." Should stop them cold in their tracks...

ChocoMare
Oct. 13, 2009, 06:41 AM
Combine the two best, in your best Southern "Scarlett O'Hara" impersonation:

"Wellll, bless your heart. Did you really mean to say that out loud?"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Or go New Yorker: Did your mutha teach you to be that rude? ;)

ProzacPuppy
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:42 AM
I love that all purpose Southern phrase - "Well, bless your heart". As someone once pointed out, you can say just about anything if you add that phrase (such as "Well bless her heart, she's gotten so fat").

You could try something like "Well bless your heart, you are just sooo rude and obnoxious."

Luckily I can't remember any parents (at least the ones I knew) ever saying anything like that, at least to someones face. There will be time to tell your best friend or your child what you actually thought once you get back to the hotel that night.

BelladonnaLily
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry...I thought it was the 2nd place girls mother that complained and that your other student was 4th or 5th...when you mentioned the judging was a little off, I thought you were speaking about the 4th or 5th place girl, and that she was your student. I didn't realize it was the "4th or 5th" place girl's mother that was complaining. Obviously I was reading this before having my coffee or something...rereading it makes it much clearer ;)

Either way, I agree it was rude to speak up to you.

Again, apologies.

M. O'Connor
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:25 AM
Just be glad it wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

Then you'd have to put up with FOX complaining that you'd won.

Honestly though, isn't it the show manager/judge/committee that needs speaking to? In both instances, making a fuss about it to the winner is fairly fruitless and completely misses the point!

2bayboys
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
When people behave like that, I generally just laugh out loud then walk away shaking my head. They're not going to listen to anything you say anyway.

Come Shine
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:57 AM
Just be glad it wasn't the Nobel Peace Prize.

Then you'd have to put up with FOX complaining that you'd won.

SNORT!!!! I just scared my co-worker.

However, on a bit of a serious note, is this perhaps why there seems to be more rudeness? With all the media we have spewing forth on anything and everything, are we perhaps getting used to saying whatever we happen to be thinking at the time, without regard for any common sense?

Phaxxton
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:57 AM

Apparently this:

Rude people come in every shape, size, and tax bracket. Her socioeconomic status doesn't have anything to do with this, so why even mention it? Sounds petty.

Rude people are everywhere. Best to just smile, nod, and walk away. I'd have little time for anything else if I was constantly worried about the rude people I encounter in the horse world. ;)

MistyPony
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:04 AM

Oh goodness! I actually WANT someone to say something rude to me now so I can use this one!!!

S A McKee
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:10 AM
Yesterday I took a few kids from the barn to a smaller show. Since it is the end of the year, everyone is out trying to pick up those last few points. One of my students put in a fabulous Eq trip (high 80's). Another kid who is leading our Zone with the USEF also had a really great trip. My kid ended up getting the blue; but it could have gone either way. The other kid was 4th or 5th, which I didn't agree with, but the judging was a "little off". The mother came up to me and said "my kid had a much better trip than yours and she should have won". :eek: My kid was riding two ponies (open card) and I don't think the woman saw her Eq trip because there is no way it was that cut and dry. Both kids were lovely OF and my kid put in a very strong flat phase.

What do you say when someone is that rude? I pointed out my kid put in a fantastic trip and she must not have been watching or she would not have felt the way she did. I was honestly shocked the other kid didn't pin as well, but I was not surprised my kid won. Never in a million years would I have said something like that if the tables were turned.

I suspect there is more to the story.

'money doesn't buy class' and 'leading our zone with USEF' really have nothing to do with the situation as described. Sounds almost like a little jealousy going on or sour grapes.
If the other rider is leading your zone it isn't in an Eq division. Performance in Hunters doesn't always equal performance in Equitation.
Maybe the other kid has been kicking your kids butt all year in hunters and you feel like you got even by beating in a probably meaningless ( or meaningful for a local association only) eq class?

hiddenlake
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:28 AM
I love the "did you really say that out loud?" approach but if you're feeling a little more adventurous, try "Kanye West called. He wants his attitude back." Of course that one won't work forever but it fits the situation pretty well right now.

LockeMeadows
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:28 AM
I suspect there is more to the story.

'money doesn't buy class' and 'leading our zone with USEF' really have nothing to do with the situation as described. Sounds almost like a little jealousy going on or sour grapes.
If the other rider is leading your zone it isn't in an Eq division. Performance in Hunters doesn't always equal performance in Equitation.
Maybe the other kid has been kicking your kids butt all year in hunters and you feel like you got even by beating in a probably meaningless ( or meaningful for a local association only) eq class?

No, there really isn't more to the story. Their kid is on a small and my kid is on a large, so they never show against each-other in the Hunters. I don't think they've show against each other in Eq all year either. I was pointing out this kid and her mother were used to winning and were rude when someone that is not a regular at the "A" shows took the blue. That is the only reason I added their pony's show record. I feel they believe because they are on the best pony in the Zone, that there is no way someone could beat them at a local show - even in Eq.

QHmom
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
Typical jerky mom. Had one walk up to us at a recent local show and ask us why even bother to show, as we screw up regulars point chasing! Had to stop myself from being rude. We show for famly fun at local shows! Guess we were a threat! HAHA! BT my kid did beat hers!
Sadly,parents living vicariously through thier kids lose sight of what we are really supposed to be doing for our shildren. Why cnat people just let thier kids be kids and have fun!!!!!

cannondale
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:28 AM
If it is [xyz's] mom you are complaining about, I think you are the one over reacting or trying to pat yourself on the back for whatever reason.

That kid rides a lot of ponies from A circuit to local and greenies. And rides them well. Maybe she deserved to win, maybe she made a mistake. Her mom may have seen it differently than the judge and commented. People make those kind of comments about judging all the time.

Who knows what the judge saw except the judge. And who really cares. Most professional trainers would shrug it off and get on with things, rather than bring it on here worrying about what some other kids mom said ringside.

Pony moms are lethal. Not any news there.

Move on.

Trixie
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:30 AM
Regardless of whose parent she is complaining about or how the either child rode, THIS:

The mother came up to me and said "my kid had a much better trip than yours and she should have won".

is bad manners.

cannondale
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah Trixie, he said, she said and all of that.

Trevelyan96
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:01 PM
I have a neighbor like that. Everything is a competition about wo has the best kid, horse, most expensive dog, who's the biggest fish in the smallest pond. We used to be a close knit group, holiday parties together, everyone getting along great, looking out for each other and each other's kids. Now its like a war zone, she has annoyed, insulted or declared war on just about everyone at some point. Her next door neighbors are saints, probably the only people who could live with them peacefully. No one says anything, they just avoid the meetings and parties now.

She finally crossed the line with me. DH is a really good natured guy, probably one of the few people in the world who can spend more than 10 minutes around this lady without wanting break a bottle over her head. She got rude and nasty with him and I basically told her if she ever did it again my family sized can of woop ass would come out. So now, of course, it's ON, but since I'm in my own little horse world, am no social butterfly, and usually well behaved in public, I think I can afford to burn a little credit. :D

Unfortunately, most of these type of people get to this point because the rest of us are too shocked and polite to put them in their place.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:28 PM
I've had that happen to me as a coach and as I rider and I say the same thing each time, "mmmmkay" and then just go about my business.

EXCEPT for when kids do it. Thats worse than the angry parents or trainers to me. When I over hear snotty brat #1 say to snotty brat #2 "That round was garbage, she shouldn't have gotten that score! eww!" I do turn around and ask how many shows they have been hired to judge and how long they have been coaching. If I ever catch one of my students say anything disrespectful about another rider, their show day is over.

Madison
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:42 PM
Regardless of whose parent she is complaining about or how the either child rode, THIS:

is bad manners.

Totally agree, Trixie. That is really uncalled for regardless of the circumstances.

The worst I ever saw was a (clueless) mom march right into the judge's booth after the results were announced but before the next class started to demand an explanation why her daughter (who had a bad trip on a horse that was ill-suited to be a hunter) didn't pin. I was grazing my horse nearby and could hear the mom, but alas was unable to hear the judge's response -- I'm sure a million options came to mind but I would love to have heard what he actually said :lol: It was a local show, but one of the largest we had in the area at the time (SAB Benefit, for you GA people) and plainly their trainer had missed the boat on educating them - it was quite a sight!

Mara
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:06 PM
Typical jerky mom. Had one walk up to us at a recent local show and ask us why even bother to show, as we screw up regulars point chasing! Had to stop myself from being rude. We show for famly fun at local shows! Guess we were a threat! HAHA! BT my kid did beat hers!
Sadly,parents living vicariously through thier kids lose sight of what we are really supposed to be doing for our shildren. Why cnat people just let thier kids be kids and have fun!!!!!

So true. I've seen the horse show moms ruin the day for their kids.
This was years ago, at the big year-end show. It was a 5-day A show, but the local eq medal finals were also held at this show.
Sweet girl. Flashy pony - won everything locally every year, did better than decently on the A circuit, and his rider was quite talented as well. Her pony was by no means push-button and could really throw an attitude if he happened to decide he didn't agree with how she was asking him to do something.
The local Pony Medal just wasn't her day. She either pinned very low or not at all (I can't remember).
Mom threw a public tantrum. Literally. Ever seen an entire show grounds full of people completely silent and motionless with shock? Poor girl was mortally embarrassed, just sat there stroking her pony's neck and trying not to cry. She continued to ride for a couple more years, but that was it.
The mom already had a bit of a reputation, but she'd never acted like that before.

heartinrye
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:49 PM
And yet another reason why I do jumpers...

I guess you could say "If you don't like the judging, do jumpers, no one there to judge you".

vxf111
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:13 PM
Totally agree, Trixie. That is really uncalled for regardless of the circumstances.

The worst I ever saw was a (clueless) mom march right into the judge's booth after the results were announced but before the next class started to demand an explanation why her daughter (who had a bad trip on a horse that was ill-suited to be a hunter) didn't pin. I was grazing my horse nearby and could hear the mom, but alas was unable to hear the judge's response -- I'm sure a million options came to mind but I would love to have heard what he actually said :lol: It was a local show, but one of the largest we had in the area at the time (SAB Benefit, for you GA people) and plainly their trainer had missed the boat on educating them - it was quite a sight!

A few years back as was riding my little quarter horse in a show that is part of a NJ English/Western series. It's mostly regulars there, and this was the first time I had shown at one of these shows. My quarter horse is a cutie pie but HARDLY a hack winner. And 14.2 with a tiny sewing machine trot and pony stride at the canter. The judge happened to be someone from PA and I knew her by reputation to be very experienced/qualified.

It was a pleasure flat class and she called for the hand gallop. So I did. As I was passing other horses and looking out of the corner of my eye, it became clear that I was the ONLY one hand galloping. My little tiny-strided quarterhorse pony shouldn't be passing ANYONE unless they're going too slow! LOL.

She lined us up and pinned us and I won. She came out to hand out ribbons and pay a compliment to each rider.

When she got to the young rider who placed second, the rider blurted (almost screamed) out "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM??? I ***ALWAYS*** WIN THE PLEASURE."

The judge just paused for a minute and then cracked a HUGE grin and said "Not today!"

LOL.

LockeMeadows
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah Trixie, he said, she said and all of that.

Yeah, except everyone within ear-shot heard the comment; including my rider, her mother, and everyone else at the gate. The mother in question said it rather loud. There was no he said, she said.

If you read my first post, I said the judging was off and that the kid in question should have been at the top of the class. No where on this thread have I said my kid should have won hands down. The other kid had a great trip, I’ve said that since the first post. I was simply agasted (great COTH word) at how rude the mother was. It was a small, local show. There was no reason ANYTHING should have been said.

TalkIsCheap
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:23 PM
seen it, experienced it, have the tee shirt to prove it. that type of comment hits you so fast you don't realize you've been insulted and can't come up with a sharp retort.

however, the particular pony mom in our area that was notorious for such comments (replete with finger poking in the other child's chest) now has a daughter that no longer speaks to her & daughter has dropped out of the equestrian scene altogether.

those precious ribbons are gathering dust and the impressive zone points are a distant memory on a website somewhere.

bascher
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:30 PM
seen it, experienced it, have the tee shirt to prove it. that type of comment hits you so fast you don't realize you've been insulted and can't come up with a sharp retort.

however, the particular pony mom in our area that was notorious for such comments (replete with finger poking in the other child's chest) now has a daughter that no longer speaks to her & daughter has dropped out of the equestrian scene altogether.

those precious ribbons are gathering dust and the impressive zone points are a distant memory on a website somewhere.

I wish there was an applause icon!

zahena
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:36 PM
There's a show mom on our circuit who is notorious for making a huge stink at her kid at EVERY show. I mean EVERY show. Screams at her, tells her that "they aren't doing it for fun" and that she needs to pull her head of out of her *beep* or they are quitting. Every time, the kid cries. Every time I'm mortified for that child and find it hard to not say something.

The pony is adorable. The kid is a brilliant rider. But let's be real. She's a kid and sometimes their brains fall out their butts and they forget. And i'm sure the added pressure of "the mom scene" doesn't make it any better. And her trainer stands just feet away and never says a WORD.

I had a particularly bad day with my girls once. They were yelling at their moms, their moms yelling at them and so in between rounds we went back to the trailer and had a "talk". I told them they were not only embarassing themselves but the barn and me and we would be packing up and heading home. There's no place for bad attitudes no matter who its directed at!

QHmom
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:13 PM
WOW Cannondale- I must be losing my mind, but OP DID NOT mention names....you did... and for the record, riding a ton of ponies in one show make sit hard to lose...especially when you have a majority of the class exhibitors. Leave the kid out..this was about a crappy sore loser mom who sounded sadly like she needed her tush knocked down a notch even if was at the expense of the kid!
Good Luck a finals Lockemeadows!

amylmac
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:21 PM
Humiliating a child in front of a crowd???? Telling her to get her head out of her a**????? This is abuse and should be reported . I would and HAVE done so.

vacation1
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:34 PM
I tend to say "Okay" in these sort of situations, which appears to make everyone happy. The loudmouth believes I've agreed with them, electrified bystanders are relieved there's not going to be a big fight, and I can get on with my day. Sometimes you have to just give people the time they deserve - none.

Just start picking your nose. They'll walk away.

:lol:

There's a show mom on our circuit who is notorious for making a huge stink at her kid at EVERY show. I mean EVERY show. Screams at her, tells her that "they aren't doing it for fun"

What are they doing it for, world peace? Crazy people...

loshad
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:46 PM
WOW Cannondale- I must be losing my mind, but OP DID NOT mention names....you did... and for the record, riding a ton of ponies in one show make sit hard to lose...especially when you have a majority of the class exhibitors. Leave the kid out..this was about a crappy sore loser mom who sounded sadly like she needed her tush knocked down a notch even if was at the expense of the kid!
Good Luck a finals Lockemeadows!

Have to agree with QHmom here, Cannondale -- totally bad form to mention the name of the kid. It's an unusual name and anyone who shows in the area will know exactly who you're talking about. It'd be a smart move to remove her name from your post.

zahena
Oct. 13, 2009, 05:47 PM
OMG, Vacation1 I am so saying that next time she has a tyraid which SHOULD be this weekend.

And I wish I could report her but her trainer is also on the board of the show committee. So obviously if trainer isn't keeping her at bay I doubt that her friends would back up a complaint. I just feel bad for the kid because she'll eventually quit and she really has nice potential to go far in her riding career. Well. Further than just our little circuit.

MHM
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:05 PM
If you can restrain yourself, "Well, bless your heart!" is always a good option.

Miss Manners also advocates, "I beg your pardon?" repeated with increasing degrees of outrage, as needed.

One of my personal favorites: "You're entitled to your opinion. Obviously, the judge had a different opinion."

I understand the concept of not fanning the flames, but I also think people should be able to express their disapproval for displays of bad manners or poor sportsmanship.

3Dogs
Oct. 13, 2009, 07:44 PM
good post about how your kids did. Maybe the point? Why worry what mom said. As others have pointed out, if shoe on the other foot, what would you have said?

Rather a lot of blather about disappointed placers, but congrats that YOUR kids did so well.

Chylli
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:51 PM
You should of said...
"You are right! You should go right up to that judge and tell him he was wrong and your daughter should of won!"

lcw579
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:04 PM

I would have been tempted to say: "Why yes, that is EXACTLY why we are showing today. To screw up the standings for all the point chasers. Thanks for noticing!" :lol:

loshad
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:10 PM
Screwing things up for point chasers is really just an added bonus. :)

Long Spot
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:13 PM
Screwing things up for point chasers is really just an added bonus. :)

It's the whipped topping on the pumpkin pie.