PDA

View Full Version : A brag on my boy(with before and after pics)

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:28 PM
A while ago I posted about how frusterated I was with my horse and his super high head. I could not get him to bring it down at all. Well, I had a god friend who used to do uper level dressage come over and ride him and boy could she get him to move!! I was so excited. She helped me figure out what I needed to do and presto! It is like having a different horse!!
I got some wonderful ideas and advice here, so I wanted to post and show a few before and after pics, it amazes me!! We still have a ways to go, but thats ok.

Before:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/myloveelli/100_33181.jpg

Today:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/myloveelli/100_42621.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a202/myloveelli/100_42791.jpg

hellerkm
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:12 PM
YEAH!!! he looks awesome!! your doing a great job, I am impressed!!!

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:46 PM
YEAH!!! he looks awesome!! your doing a great job, I am impressed!!!

Thank you!!!!

pinkme
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:58 PM
I like the way he is going in the 1st pic over the third pic! He is soo behind in the third pic. "low" isnt a fix all.

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:04 PM
I like the way he is going in the 1st pic over the third pic! He is soo behind in the third pic. "low" isnt a fix all.

I agree with "low" not being a fix. I am going for getting him to stretch down and out. Just him knowing this is ok, and that he can do it. I am not doing anything crazy to get him to do this. I have been working and working at the walk and trot over hills and poles. 2 months ago, him bringing his head down, even just "low" was not even possible for him. He just could not and would not do it.
He is behind, I realize this. Like I said, we have a long long way to go still. But he is no longer strung out, heis under control now, and he is MUCH MUCH happier. He really is a different horse now.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:37 PM
He certainly looks like a different horse in the before and after pictures! I'm sure that you know this, but you need a lot more leg than hand to get the head down correctly, often times. On most horses, the rider CAN crank their head down (but with no leg they get behind the vertical), so remember that the majority of pressure should not be coming from your hands.

2hsmommy
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:07 PM
Good for you :) and him :)

It looks like you changed bits?

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:43 PM
He certainly looks like a different horse in the before and after pictures! I'm sure that you know this, but you need a lot more leg than hand to get the head down correctly, often times. On most horses, the rider CAN crank their head down (but with no leg they get behind the vertical), so remember that the majority of pressure should not be coming from your hands.

Thank you. Right now he can't stand any leg.Like if I add leg, he sucks back and tries to bite my leg. I just read a chiro can help this, so I am going to try to find one. I read that this could mean a rib is out(or something along those lines) I am working with someone, and she suggests working on one thing at a time with my boy. And since she has stated helping, there has been a huge change, for the better. I am wroking on ading leg, and moving him out. And I hvae good people helping me out/riding him, who know what they are doing. (as well as myself).
It is a long work in progress. But we were at such a standstill, and even though it is not there yet, this is progress for us and I am very excited.

Mamy
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:44 PM
Good for you :) and him :)

It looks like you changed bits?

I did. We went from a full cheek to a eggbutt w/ a french link. He does like the new bit better.