PDA

View Full Version : XC Saddle Hellp!!!

WildOne
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:53 PM
I recently came across a used Devoucoux Ioldy saddle for sale (my dream saddle). It appears to fit me and my horse but the saddle fitter who helped me to see if it fit is also the seller. So, a bit of a conflict of interest there :-).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fit this saddle, or other jumping, preferably monoflap to myself? I understand the mechanics and can feel what fits but saddle size varies so much.

I am short which is another kicker. 5'0 about 113lbs. Relatively longer hip to knee length for my height. Plus, I ride with quite short stirrups for jumping so most saddle's have flaps that swallow me. My ankle will sometimes be at the edge of the flap!

For my size should I have the AA, extra forward style in the Devoucoux (that is what this saddle is). I quickly rode in it and jumped some small fences and it was wonderful. Didn't get any pics of myself in it though to be able to see where my leg is falling. The seat size is a 17.5. Would I need a smaller seat?

Sorry to ramble, any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!

KateWooten
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:12 PM
Sorry, I'm no use at all with the actual question you asked but .... I would suggest that you check out the reputation of the saddle fitter first. If you do that and then decide that do not trust their judgement then you have a another problem on your hands, which is to find a saddle fitter who you trust!

I would do that first before putting a lot of money into a saddle because even if it fits right now, you will still want to have it checked every year or so, I would have thought, so a good relationship with a trusted saddle-fitter is invaluable. (Availability of saddle-fitters is the one thing I miss most about the UK. Well, that and bridleways. Oh, and town centers. And sausages.)

If you would like a recommendation for a saddle-fitter in your immediate vicinity who you can trust whole-heartedly - just ask around, I'm sure you'll find at least one name emerging - then perhaps you could get hold of that person and get a second opinion.

(And Cheese).

WildOne
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:44 PM
I actually have a saddle fitter who I love. She is my massage therapist for my horses and evaluates all my saddles. In theory, I could try to get the saddle that is for sale sent to my place and arrange for my saddle fitter to look at it. Don't know if the saddle fitter selling the saddle would go for that but she is about 2 1/2 hours away from me and my saddle fitter already drives 1 1/2 hours to get to my, further south. So, getting everything together may be difficult, but not impossible.

I am interested in trying to learn any facts about fitting forward cut jumping saddles to shorter riders. Don't have anyone to ask and if you google the question you don't get specific answers. Would love to hear from the shorter riders out there what you are riding in and where your saddle flap hits you on your leg!