PDA

View Full Version : Jumper shows - where to find schedule

Eventingjunkie
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:36 AM
I have tried searching the forums, and know this info is out there, but couldn't find it.

We are putting our eventing horse up for sale this year and rather than "saying" he can do jumpers we want to campaign him and prove it. We have USEF and USHJA membership and registration but cannot find a schedule for sanctioned shows even at their websites (I'm sure it's there, but I'm just inept). We are located in Maryland and would be willing to travel to Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Delaware. We are hoping to compete in December and January before heading down south for warmer weather. Any suggestions on where to find a schedule? If you were looking for a jumper, would you care about competition results at local shows or discount them because they are not sanctioned shows?

Lkramer
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
Highly depends on the price range/quality of the horse..

Mediocre jumper prospects,are a dime a dozen right now. Anything with good breeding and serious upper level potential might sell for 30k without a show record. As for the level 2-4 horse, you are marketing towards a child or adult ammy, therefore buyers are looking for a horse that is experienced enough to safely pack them around AND be competitive, OR an experienced ch/AA rider is looking for something to bring up with potential to move up to the jr/AOs. This being said, the horse needs to go and do well at the A shows. It's pretty easy to get the word out among trainers you know, and they can easily try the horse at the shows.

If you are marketing them towards the "A" circuit buyer for a high price, they need to be doing the A shows, BUT beware of the amount of money you are sticking into them. If you take the horse to 10 shows over a year, you've easily got a minimum of 10k invested in the horse. Sometimes it is better to sell the horse for less money and get experience on the local show circuit than spend the extra money to sell as a show veteran. Like I said, it really depends on what you've got!

As far as finding shows, just go to USEF- click on the left side tab COMPETITIONS then click CALENDAR. You can refine the search by clicking the right side tab JUMPER and enter your region.

Eventingjunkie
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks, Lkramer, that is exactly the information I was looking for. Unfortunately we are eventers so don't have the contacts in the jumper world. Our event trainer says he is perfect for the Childrens/Ammy. What level is 3'9"? Does he need to jump higher for Childrens?

I had checked the link for shows that you said, but couldn't find any in Maryland or Virginia. Am I missing something, or is it that next year's schedule hasn't been posted yet?

Lkramer
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:18 PM
Nope! The lows are 3'3", highs 3'6", then the classics are usually 3'9". That is the max height for that division. If you've got a good clean jumper that can do that, I would call a jumper trainer/agent in your area and offer to bring your guy over to see. They might have a client looking or at least know someone who is. Most charge 10% commission for selling your horse, and some add several thousand to the cost of your horse, so it is an incentive for them to sell your guy and make money.

As for USEF, make sure you expand the dates you want to search for. Most people will be heading down to my neck of the coutry in the next few months, but I would think there should be some indoor shows around you. I will ask around!

Lucassb
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:52 PM
You can search the competition calendar by state, division, etc on the USEF site here: http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/competitions/calendar/calendar.aspx

If your horse easily jumps 3'9" for an average rider, he will certainly suit the childrens/adult riders. As the poster above mentioned, that is the max height for that division - but to be competitive, he will also need to be pretty fast. At that height ... a lot of people run more or less flat out (not endorsing this, just recognizing reality.)

Another thought though, is to point him toward the equitation divisions. The regular divisions are 3'6" and the horses need to be very adjustable and brave, as the courses tend to feature demanding tracks. Trainers with big eq kids tend to LOVE horses that will jump the natural jumps because they are a big plus in the USET classes (3'9") and the event horses with good dressage backgrounds tend to be very well broke on the flat, which is a must for those classes.

Good luck!