PDA

View Full Version : 2009 VHSA Roll Call!

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:35 AM
Hey guys!
I know it's a little early but I was just wondering who was planning on attending the 2009 VHSA Associate Finals in Lexington, VA? What are you showing in? Pictures maybe? I just got my show packet in the mail the other day. I'm so excited!!

I'm going to be showing in the 2'6" Special Hunters with my horse Captain Butler aka Rhett :]

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:48 PM
This will be the first year in 8 years that I will not be at Finals. Have fun! I've always had a blast at that show :) Last year I did Open, Adult Hunters and Eq. I would come this year and groom for my barn but unfortunately college graduation means I have to work and can't make it up.

Good luck!!! :)

NeverEnd
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:38 PM
AW! I grew up on the VHSA associate circuit! I miss VA! Good luck OP!

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:25 PM
thanks! im sorry you couldnt make it this year! hopefully next year though :)

LockeMeadows
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:17 PM
We'll be there with Callihan Rose (Medium Pony), IBA Blue Diamond (Large/Pleasure/Eq), Silver Masterpiece (Hunter Pleasure Horse) and Three Tricks (Greens/Children's Hunter/Pleasure).

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:30 PM
Sounds good! hope i'll get a chance to see rosie and deno go this year :]

Cant wait to see stormer-man too :]

JumpWithPanache
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:33 AM
I'm still debating whether to go or not. If I do, we'll be in Open and Green.

QHmom
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
Taking my short stirrup kiddo and his little sister side-kick!

pinkpolkadot491
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:51 AM
I'll be there braiding all weekend. So, if any of you are still looking for a braider... :D

skrgirl
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:45 PM
Were taking a bunch from our farm.

Three doing green horse
One doing childrens hunter
One doing childrens eq
One doing Pony eq
One doing small green pony
One doing large green pony
One doing special 2'6" hunter
One doing special 2' hunter
One doing pleasure adult
One doing Working Hunter
One doing short stirrup

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:27 PM
JumpWithPanache: hope you can make it! :]

QHmom: sounds cute! good luck! :]

pinkpolkadot491: haha sorry. dont need a braider but if i did i might take you up on that :]

skrgirl: sounds good! :]

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 16, 2009, 07:52 AM
BUMMMPPPPP :D

scrbear11
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:34 AM
Have fun everyone! I loved that show soooo much!!!! I only went in 2006- my horse "Loverboy" was the Adult Pleasure Champion that year. I may try to come up this year to watch and help all my old friends. It's a long drive from Wilmington, NC though!

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
scrbear11- if you go, I will totally quit my job so I don't have to work on Saturday and meet you there :) we could stand a little reunion... PS.. did I ever get you the pics from the VHSA Banquet that year? My dad took some cute ones of us in from of the Adult Eq ribbons :)

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:39 PM
scrbear11: i love this show too! its so much fun! hope you can make it to watch!

HunterRider992
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:57 PM
I'm skipping out and doing Raleigh this year. I had a really bad experience last year, so I'm hoping Raleigh will be more fun.

SpringOakFarm
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:16 PM
We will be there! My daughter will be riding Point Taken in the 2'6" Special Hunter and Pleasure divisions.

We can't wait!

Good luck everyone - can't wait to see you there!

RhettsChildrensHunter<3
Oct. 17, 2009, 05:13 PM
HunterRider992: hope you have a great show in Raleigh this year!

SpringOakFarm: Ill be showing the same division! I'll keep an ear out for that name! Im so excited too! tell her I said good luck!

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:47 AM
How did everyone do?

alittlegray
Nov. 18, 2009, 07:56 AM
Let's just say pleasure pony was a j o k e. But the show itself was fun! DD had never competed in the coliseum before (or at 2' 9" before either!) and she really had a blast. I am glad we went, overall.

SidesaddleRider
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:38 AM
Who was the photographer?

JumpWithPanache
Nov. 18, 2009, 08:47 AM

Ditto that!

I ended up not going. Between remodeling the new house, getting married, then getting back from the honeymoon on the 8th, there's no way I was going to be ready. Next year though!

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:00 AM
Let's just say pleasure pony was a j o k e. But the show itself was fun! DD had never competed in the coliseum before (or at 2' 9" before either!) and she really had a blast. I am glad we went, overall.

There did appear to be some interesting judging :yes:

Parrothead
Nov. 18, 2009, 01:48 PM

Photos: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=5644670

SidesaddleRider
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:44 PM
Photos: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/thumbpage.aspx?e=5644670

Thank you! :)

horseladi78
Nov. 18, 2009, 03:45 PM
The judging was totally insane. For one, why do we have a local judge judging when on the prize list it listed two judges and neither were from VA? Jason Berry ended up judging most of Friday and Sat and Sunday...uhm on the prize list he was only listed to judge the pleasure. So on that note, I saw soooo much politics it was sicking. Flame me away I don't care. I'm not being a poor sport, as there were so many awful trips, I can understand the judging would be crazy but uhm when only certain trainers and horses are placing makes you wonder. Now onto another note....there so needs to be some sort of qualification to the Associate shows. This is not the first time I have gone and seen sooo many horses that compete reguarly on the Regular VHSA circuit, hence the A's, coming and cleaning up at Finals. How fair is that?? If I had a 50,000 + horse, that was able to compete on the Regulars and hold his own then thats where I would be. But what is the challenge in only showing your minimum five shows to qualify then come and clean up against horses that obviously are not in the same class? I hate that! Its just not right! Some of us compete all year doing the local shows, are excited about Finals, and then show up and have to compete against horses that have won several times on the A's. I just can not understand why trainers do that. Does it make you feel good to take milk from a baby??? :no: Rant over....And i'm not sure if I will go back....

Show_hunters
Nov. 18, 2009, 06:10 PM
Horselandi78- what did you show in or see that you didn't agree with? I can tell you that I saw many trips etc and agreed with the judging. As for A rated horses showing- who cares? That really shouldn't matter and everyone is judged and held to the same standards. A price of a horse has nothing to do with what level or section it shows in. Ie A rated vs assoc etc. Also not everyone pays 50K ++ for an A rated hunter.

Overall finals was a good show and ran well.

LockeMeadows
Nov. 18, 2009, 07:25 PM
Show_Hunters, your gelding looked great. Chad sure knows how to turn them out. Congrats!!

We had a great year. My LPH got a call-back in 2 O/F classes and was 7th in the hack. Our MPH got 3 call-backs and was fantastic. The Children's Hunter also got a call-back in the Stakes. It was that horse's 4th time showing at 3' and he's been OTT for only a year and a half! Needless to say, I could not have been happier.

The judging in Pleasure was easy to figure out. Little kids on ponies pinned. I felt like putting my 16yo Pleasure rider in big braided bows and garders. Both of our ponies put in fantastic flats, but were not used. Very odd.

LockeMeadows
Nov. 18, 2009, 09:36 PM
Now onto another note....there so needs to be some sort of qualification to the Associate shows. This is not the first time I have gone and seen sooo many horses that compete reguarly on the Regular VHSA circuit, hence the A's, coming and cleaning up at Finals. How fair is that?? If I had a 50,000 + horse, that was able to compete on the Regulars and hold his own then thats where I would be. But what is the challenge in only showing your minimum five shows to qualify then come and clean up against horses that obviously are not in the same class? I hate that! Its just not right! Some of us compete all year doing the local shows, are excited about Finals, and then show up and have to compete against horses that have won several times on the A's. I just can not understand why trainers do that. Does it make you feel good to take milk from a baby??? :no: Rant over....And i'm not sure if I will go back....

We have an excellent Association that does a lot for the Virginia equestrian community. This is their major fundraiser each year. I love that that "A" show horses come and play. It tells me where my program is stacking up against what else is out there. When we are getting call-backs and ribbons in almost every class, I know I'm on the right track without spending the money to show on the circuit.

This was a tough year as there were many exceptional horses down there. I thought over-all the judging was spot on. The horses that won O/F were the ones that have the jump and scope for the bigger shows. The judges were a little easier on the brilliant horses that may have not had a perfect trip. That is the way it should be. The best horse should win. Typically, big beats little, pretty beats ugly, and crappy horses with 8 good spots still won't beat a horse with quality.

Fairview Horse Center
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
My 5 year old Wesley that was purchased by a junior rider as a 3 1/2 year old placed 7th in the Special Hunter 2'6" Hunter Stake class! I am thrilled his young rider did so well in that kind of competition!

He has come a long way from that little guy! :sadsmile:

Picturesque
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:10 PM
Just have to give a huge congratulations to my student April Sautter for being awarded the Best Child Rider on a pony at VHSA finals. She has worked very hard for this and I am so proud of her and Animation (aka Rambo) who was also reserve champion green pony
We had a fantastic time as usual and I am so happy with how all the kids and ponies were this year.
It was wonderful to see everyone from all the VA barns and I was really impressed with some of the competitors and their professionalism and sposrtsmanship. Congratulations to all!!

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:14 PM
The judging in Pleasure was easy to figure out. Little kids on ponies pinned. I felt like putting my 16yo Pleasure rider in big braided bows and garders. Both of our ponies put in fantastic flats, but were not used. Very odd.

I saw your pony go and couldn't figure out why they didn't keep him. He got outmoved by a few, but he was definitely nice enough to pin. And a couple that outmoved him got kicked out too!

alittlegray
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:34 PM
Pffft..a little appy pony spun, kicked and bucked right in front of dd's pony. Almost nailed our pony in the face. THAT pony stayed. HUH?

Fortunately, dd's pony is a saint and he just kept right on moving. Considering he doesn't care to be indoors and crowds make them both nervous, we were pretty proud of them both. Pony got lots of cookies for ignoring the crazies.

Of course the large pony schooling that morning was wild as well...saw one collision that looked really painful.

Show_hunters
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks- Rachel! I know that fatzo and didn't show much this year but it is great to see what a few months can do with the right program. At least we're on right track. ;). At the rail I think you made chad blush. Ha ha. He was very pleased and thought that Simba looked like swan in comparison to last year.

It was great to see you and I'm glad to hear that your riders did well. You all always give a good turn out and showing! I'm sure that I'll see you out and about at show's for the new season soon! Provided it's not freezing! Ha ha once again, thanks. Your words meant a lot.

starkissed
Nov. 18, 2009, 10:57 PM
Oh I really wanted to do this show! My trainer wanted me to do Special Hunter 2'6" and Pleasure(for warmup) with my gelding.
But we had sick horses at our barn and ended up not going. But I couldnt really go anyway because I didn't have the $$ and due to barn issues, I wasnt able to meet the 5 show requirement.

I hope everyone had fun. Showing like that seems like so much fun! I'd love to do it someday!

horseladi78
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:39 AM
I saw a horse in the green pin that did simple changes...seriously. I still stand by my opinion of A show horses that only show up at Finals. I think some are missing my point. I'm saying that several of those horses that pinned have not competed reguarly on the Associate circuit. They do their five shows then show up at Finals and clean up. Thats what I am saying is not right. Without naming specific names of barns and trainers who do this year after year, I just think there needs to be some other qualification process besides five shows. As I stated most people on the Associate circuit don't have the money or funds to have a fancy hunter horse, and when you go to your Finals show it just seems so pointless when you have trainers that show up with known A show horses that have won several A shows competeing with you. And no I don't think its an even playing field.

horseladi78
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:44 AM
And as for the pony pleasure, I didn't think little kids on pony's were the ones pinning, sorry. I had a 15 yr onld on her fancy moving pony make the cut and pin. The girl who won one section was not a little kid as Lockemeadows points out. The pony who won several classes was cute, but moved horrid. Jason put several in the line up section after section that did not move well and were not pleasurable at all. I personally saw all the pony pleasure classes and thought his placings were odd to say the least. But hey thats just judging...

LockeMeadows
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:15 PM
And as for the pony pleasure, I didn't think little kids on pony's were the ones pinning, sorry. I had a 15 yr onld on her fancy moving pony make the cut and pin. The girl who won one section was not a little kid as Lockemeadows points out. The pony who won several classes was cute, but moved horrid. Jason put several in the line up section after section that did not move well and were not pleasurable at all. I personally saw all the pony pleasure classes and thought his placings were odd to say the least. But hey thats just judging...

There were four sections and eight ribbons in each section. One or two big kids from each section pinned. The rest were little kids. I stayed and watched all four sections. If you were a cute little kid on a pony, there was a MUCH better chance of getting a ribbon. Some of the ponies that were pinned were fast, on tight reins the entire class, and poor movers; but they had cute little kids in the tack. JMHO

LockeMeadows
Nov. 19, 2009, 12:24 PM
I saw your pony go and couldn't figure out why they didn't keep him. He got outmoved by a few, but he was definitely nice enough to pin. And a couple that outmoved him got kicked out too!

That is all part of showing. We had a great time and don't need ribbons to know our ponies went well. Our baby (IBA Blue Diamond) is still young, yet was quiet as could be the whole show. He jumped around, did his changes, and got a hack prize. I was thrilled to say the least. He got shoes for the first time about 3 weeks ago and isn't moving a "10" anymore, so anything on the flat is a gift. We're going to pull the shoes once the bruise heals and keep on keepin on.

I think this is the best Finals I've ever attended as far as size, quality of horses, and management. It was great and we're already looking forward to next year!

Show_hunters
Nov. 19, 2009, 05:57 PM
Horselandi78- I was one of those entries who only did 5 assoc shows this year (for my own reasons).

Also with the economy it would not surprise me to hear that there were more rated horses showing in assoc shows in general. The vhsa assoc program should not be labeled as jv squad but more so as a more cost effective showing program. Not everyone can afford to show at the large rated shows. The quality of horse should have no bearing on hunter standards. Everyone should be chasing after the same standard/ideal hunter at all shows. No judge will pin or score differently for rated vs assoc show. A score is a score. IMO.

LaBonnieBon
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:35 PM
Just have to give a huge congratulations to my student April Sautter for being awarded the Best Child Rider on a pony at VHSA finals. She has worked very hard for this and I am so proud of her and Animation (aka Rambo) who was also reserve champion green pony.

This is AWESOME! Huge congrats to April (as well as the trainer who got her there :winkgrin:)!!

scrbear11
Nov. 19, 2009, 06:44 PM
I just want to say, I won Adult Pleasure on my FREE gelding in 2006. I went on to sell him to Patty Miller- who sold him to a girl in her barn. He was a free, grade, appendix gelding- not a $50k imported Warmblood. Then on my Andalusian mare

The problem with Finals is that the kids/adults that walk in the ring and have only shows at the schooling shows are not USED to the competition, crowded ring, and glam of the Finals show. It's run like a rated show, it's judged like a rated show. There's a way to show that so-so mover so that it sticks out to the judge. It's up to the trainers to teach that to their kids.

The points awarded at Finals don't make much difference in your point standings for year end awards- if you have your 250then you are good to go. Unless the second standing places at Finals you don't have much to worry about.

If you don't like the judging, the people who show up to show, and the cost of it- don't go. It's that easy.

But if you decide to go, and your kid goes in there, marches around the ring on her pony and does what she knows how to do- be proud of that- don't complain. Take what goes wrong home and work on it next season.

What Virginia needs is the "C" show program like NC. Our "C" shows are run similarly to "A" shows- you have much of the same turnout for both- and it's great experience for the kids/ammys to learn how to show their horses.

SpringOakFarm
Nov. 19, 2009, 07:48 PM
We had an amazing time! We were there with my daughter's trainer, Vicki Phillips of the James River Equestrian Center...

My 12 year old daughter got Reserve Champion in Junior Pleasure Horse and a 3rd on one her trips in the 2'6" Special Hunter division. (She was riding Point Taken, and this was her last show on him since we have bought her a new horse...it was a great ending to a fantastic year!)

Our barn also had many other great results:
Grand Champion in Pony Pleasure
Champion in Large Pony
Champion in Junior Pleasure Horse
Champion in Short Stirrup
Reserve Champion in 2'6" Special Hunter
and many other great ribbons...

We had an amazing show with 9 out of 11 riders/horses came home with ribbons. It was so much fun! Everyone worked really hard this year and it was a great way to end our season.

We can't wait to go again next year! :D

LockeMeadows
Nov. 19, 2009, 08:42 PM
We had an amazing time! We were there with my daughter's trainer, Vicki Phillips of the James River Equestrian Center...

We had an amazing show with 9 out of 11 riders/horses came home with ribbons. It was so much fun! Everyone worked really hard this year and it was a great way to end our season.

I did a clinic two years ago at James Rider and was blown away by the kids. They were real horsemen instead of just riders. Huge congrats to your barn. Those ribbons were well earned!

Bob Branam
Nov. 20, 2009, 06:42 AM
That would be www.branamsphotography.photoreflect.com

scotchie
Nov. 20, 2009, 07:14 AM
If you're trying to look at photos and don't know the rider's number it can be a bit daunting. I had some friends show but I have no idea what their numbers are and am not going to call around to each and everyone of them ;-) Branums list them by number. Here's the work around: Go to www.horsehowsonline.com (http://www.horsehowsonline.com) and jot down all the numbers you want to find the photos for and THEN go to the photo website. They took a lot of great pictures!

horseladi78
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:20 AM
I saw the James River group and thought they did fabo! Congrats.

BelladonnaLily
Nov. 20, 2009, 11:53 AM

My 12 year old daughter got Reserve Champion in Junior Pleasure Horse and a 3rd on one her trips in the 2'6" Special Hunter division. (She was riding Point Taken, and this was her last show on him since we have bought her a new horse...it was a great ending to a fantastic year!)

Our barn also had many other great results:
Grand Champion in Pony Pleasure
Champion in Large Pony
Champion in Junior Pleasure Horse
Champion in Short Stirrup
Reserve Champion in 2'6" Special Hunter
and many other great ribbons...

We left before the 4th go of pleasure, did Stop The Press win Grand Champion Pony Pleasure? I think that pony was in the lead when we left. Cute cute pony...congrats on all of your wins! What a great year you had!

horseladi78
Nov. 20, 2009, 01:37 PM
Yes and Wild card was reserve....I loved that pony!

SpringOakFarm
Nov. 20, 2009, 10:21 PM
Thanks so much. We had such a wonderful time.

Yes "Stop the Press", aka Beanie, did win Grand Champion in Pony Pleasure and while we were very happy for our rider and trainer, we also LOVE the family that owns Wild Card. They ride at a different barn, with a different trainer, but we hang out with them at shows. They are such great people and we were equally as happy for them!

WhiteOakByInvitationOnly
Dec. 14, 2009, 04:56 PM
I had an amazing time at finals! I won the large green pony champion and the high score vpba award