PDA

View Full Version : JustWorld International: explain?

Beau Cheval
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:02 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been wondering for a while exactly how JustWorld International works. I have read the website and I really love the idea, and I am really interested in that kind of work. I would love to participate, but I don't really understand how the organization operates. I have a few friends and acquaintances who are JustWorld ambassadors, but the feeling I got from them was that they wrote cheques and bought the regalia. I don't have the means to just give them money, but if there is something active I could do, I would love to take part. Is that possible? And as far as riding goes, do you have to be showing at all the big shows and riding in big classes to participate?

Thanks!

klmck63
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:32 AM
I second your question. Do you need to be really accomplished or showing often on the AA circuit? Or showing in the States? I'm Canadian, hahah :)

virtus02
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:31 PM
As a JWI ambassador I can definitely answer a few questions. First of all it is an international organization and there are members and ambassadors from all over the world that have found ways to be involved. Ideally ambassadors show rather competitively but that is because when they are out there competing and wearing the JWI gear, they get noticed and therefore are more effective at recruiting people. However, there is a place for EVERYONE at JWI and it is an amazing thing to be a part of, they have memberships for those who do not want to commit to becoming an ambassador and there are ambassadors of all ages and levels that take part in it.
Check out www.justworldinternational.com to read about plenty of volunteer positions, internships, how to become a member, or how to become an ambassador.
JWI accepts memberships and donations that go towards many different projects in impoverished countries to help educate poor and needy children. The amazing thing about JWI is that you can have the opportunity to travel around the world and actually volunteer at these locations and see where your money is going. Feel free to PM me for more details

Beau Cheval
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:01 PM
So the idea with being an ambassador is that you ride and show often and wear the coats etc. at these shows?
-can I still join now, even though I'm not currently showing as much as most of the other ambassadors?
-Is being a member the same as being an ambassador?

I noticed on the volunteering page, it says that you have to be a college student or graduate to go to the sites. What can you do as a highschooler?
thanks!

Philosopher
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:43 PM
I just listened to a presentation on this, so I think I can answer a few questions.

You do not have to be actively showing to be a member or an ambassador.

The people you know are ambassadors. To become an ambassador, you have to fill out an application and be accepted. You make a "commitment" to help JustWorld, but this does NOT mean that you must make a minimum monetary pledge.

Anyone can become a member by going to the JustWorld website and giving money. A certain donation gives you access to discounts from certain retailers and companies.

Some ambassadors do commit to giving a certain percentage of earnings or an annual amount to JustWorld, but there are many other ways ambassadors can help. One of the big ways is to network to other horse people to raise awareness and funds. One obvious place to do this is at big horse shows, but it can also be done at your home barn, pony club rallies, etc. You can just ask for donations, or you can organize events such as horseless horseshows, bake sales, or clinics.

JustWorld really seems to welcome anyone who has a passion for helping their cause. If you feel that passion and are willing to devote your time and creative energy, there is certainly plenty that you can do as a nonshowing, highschool-age ambassador.

theblondejumper
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm really intrigued by this organization. I would love to look into an internship opportunity with them. Didn't see much about that on their website--anyone know?

Parker_Rider
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:52 PM
JWI is a GREAT organization to be a part of! I can't give a lot financially (poor grad student), but I've been super involved in planning things for JWI and trying to fundraise through other means. I'm currently working with Jessica Newman (the founder) and Charlotte Skinner to partner the Rocky Mountain Classic here in CO with JWI and coming up with fun events (a gambler's choice class.. a party! and other things that other shows have done) to raise money to support one of JWI's projects.
The job of an ambassador is to spread the word about what JWI is all about and hopefully get more ambassadors and members to join.
(BTW: Ambassador = representative; member = financial contributor)

There are a lot of opportunities and Jessica is awesome to work with and open for ideas from ambitious ambassadors :) So no, you don't have to be a monetary contributor to help the organization!!!

Beau Cheval
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:18 AM
Awesome! Thanks so much everyone, I will definitely apply to be an ambassador because I'd really love to help, and I think I'm pretty good at organizing and getting people involved.
Thanks again!

virtus02
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:11 PM
INTERNSHIPS
are available with JustWorld
in Wellington Florida!
Call the office 561- 333-9391
or e-mail nspillane@justworldinternational.org for more information.

Beau Cheval
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:21 PM
One more question:
There are no applications to become an ambassador on the website, just an e-mail address. How much information should I give in my initial e-mail? A full on application style thing (age, name, city, riding experience, why I want to help, community service experience, etc?)

theblondejumper
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:25 PM
INTERNSHIPS
are available with JustWorld
in Wellington Florida!
Call the office 561- 333-9391
or e-mail nspillane@justworldinternational.org for more information.

Thank you! I would love to look into something like that. I sent an email. :)

ksully913
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:38 PM
Parker Rider - I second the previous question about the applications. I'm just a poor college kid, but I am extremely interested in how to become an ambassador. I spent my winter term in Honduras last year, and worked with 6-17 years old street kids coming off of drug addictions. I have lots of service experience to offer, and Honduras es en mi corazon. Is there a way to link up with other ambassadors in the area to plan events? I think it would be a really interesting concept also to bridge JWI with IHSA and IDA. I know my zone for IHSA has 18 schools in it. If thats not a way to reach passionate young horse people who may be interested in how to make an impact I don't know what is. Anyone else have thoughts on JWI and the college riding scene?

supershorty628
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:48 AM
I am a JWI ambassador and just started doing IHSA this year. One of my jackets is currently being embroidered with the JustWorld logo so that I have an equitation-friendly JustWorld coat. At the moment, I just show with a pin on my lapel - it's subtle, but a lot of people still seem to notice it - I know I was asked a lot of questions about it at my last show.

The JWI foray into the IHSA world is a newly starting one, but for sure it's an opportunity to spread the word and awareness. PM me if you want. :)
Emily

Parker Rider - I second the previous question about the applications. I'm just a poor college kid, but I am extremely interested in how to become an ambassador. I spent my winter term in Honduras last year, and worked with 6-17 years old street kids coming off of drug addictions. I have lots of service experience to offer, and Honduras es en mi corazon. Is there a way to link up with other ambassadors in the area to plan events? I think it would be a really interesting concept also to bridge JWI with IHSA and IDA. I know my zone for IHSA has 18 schools in it. If thats not a way to reach passionate young horse people who may be interested in how to make an impact I don't know what is. Anyone else have thoughts on JWI and the college riding scene?

dochiode
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:03 AM
I'm very interested! I would love to find out more inforamtion related to this topic. Thanks in advance.
me too, I need more detailed info

ksully913
Oct. 14, 2009, 09:14 AM
supershorty - you have a pm!

Oct. 14, 2009, 09:50 AM
So what exactly does JWI do? They have people riding in their colors to publicize the organization, and top riders donate percentages of their winnings, but what happens on the non-horse-show end of the organization? Do they donate money to charity, or do they do their own charitable works?

ksully913
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:01 AM
I'm not involved, although I'd like to be, but from the literature on their website, it seems like many of the riders involved participate in volunteer trips to the countries that JWI works in. It seems like JWI has chosen several organizations in each country to focus on. Their 990 is available on their website too if you are interested in checking that out.

Lkramer
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:44 AM
So what exactly does JWI do? They have people riding in their colors to publicize the organization, and top riders donate percentages of their winnings, but what happens on the non-horse-show end of the organization? Do they donate money to charity, or do they do their own charitable works?

They do several things, from putting in wells so villages can have fresh water, to sending kids to school, clothing and feeding children... it's just a great humanitarian organization. I love that Jessica has brought awareness to the equestrian community. It's been eye opening for me. Most of the kids they help live on $1.50/day. I've spend $4.50 on coffee already :rolleyes:

virtus02
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:26 PM
To get an application send an email to the address given on the website with a brief bio about yourself and why you are interested/how you heard about it. They will reply with an application attached. On the application is where you will share your show accomplishments, explain why you want to be a member, what you will contribute in more detail, and make a donation.

virtus02
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:29 PM
Also if you want to volunteer but can not or do not want to make a financial commitment, you can also email them about projects. The email for volunteer applications is jwinfo@justworldinternational.org . The email for ambassador applications is equestrian@justworldinternational.org

MHM
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:35 PM
I just feel the need to say- it's so nice to see young people taking an interest in such a worthy cause. It seems like that's all too rare these days. :)

Parker_Rider
Oct. 14, 2009, 06:01 PM
I'll make a post about this when I have ideas and action plans finalized, but if any of you - amateurs or juniors - want to become an ambassador or volunteer in the West and plan on coming to the High Prairie summer shows (or not, either way!!) PM me and let me know because I need a ton of help putting this partnership into place. It'd be a GREAT way to get involved with JWI without fronting any/big $$.

Like Lkramer said, they actually do things on the ground to help, and they have partner organizations that they work with in order to make sure that the communities are getting what they need. Orgs like this definitely need help publicizing and fundraising and that's what ambassadors do.
Next month they're going to Guatemala to work at a horse show there and work at one of the project sites. Wish I could go, but finals are that week :P so lots of exciting opportunities with this group!

ksully913
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:43 AM
Submitting my application by the weekend!

LulaBell
Oct. 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
.Next month they're going to Guatemala to work at a horse show there and work at one of the project sites. Wish I could go, but finals are that week :P so lots of exciting opportunities with this group!

Horse show? Guatemala? Do you have details?! I'm starved for horse action down here!

Parker_Rider
Oct. 15, 2009, 12:15 PM
Horse show? Guatemala? Do you have details?! I'm starved for horse action down here!

Details from the FB message they sent:
We will both be at the El Cortijo horse show, which runs for 2 weeks (November 11-15 and November 18-22) and not only visiting our project partner, Los Patojos, but also getting involved in a week of volunteer activities from November 16-20th 2009. While at the horse show, we will be staying in Guatemala City, and while working with the project and its community, we will be staying in the colonial town of Antigua.

Look into it! :)