PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new show shirt (eq and hunters) white or color?? Update: purchased yellow!

flyracing
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:51 AM
So I have never had a colored shirt and would really like to branch out for once! BUT, I in no way want to risk loosing points for untraditional attire. Could I safely branch out to a light pink or yellow shirt? I have a navy coat and tan breeches. I will be competing in the IHSA (college, equitation) shows and at A/AA shows hopefully in the working hunters. I have been out of the game for a couple of years (torn suspensory... sigh..) and did mostly jumpers before, so I need all of your guy's help in my shopping endevours :D

hj0519
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:01 AM
For IHSA your coach might have a preference. I know mine requires us to wear white shirts, so you might want to check and make sure there aren't any color requirements for your team before you get a shirt.

flyracing
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:34 AM
Coach already said I can get colored shirt if I want as long as it is conservative... but does that make it ok? My coach isn't up to date on fashions either, but by the rule book it is allowed.
Thanks for your advice!

Pirateer
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:10 AM
I would go for the classic white shirt. Also consider shopping on ebay, and getting both for the price of one new one :)

In IHSA and equitation-land, white is good.

Lkramer
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:03 AM
If you are showing in Eq, you REALLY should be conservative with a white monogrammed shirt and navy jacket.

LearnToFly
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:06 AM
So I have never had a colored shirt and would really like to branch out for once! BUT, I in no way want to risk loosing points for untraditional attire. Could I safely branch out to a light pink or yellow shirt? I have a navy coat and tan breeches. I will be competing in the IHSA (college, equitation) shows and at A/AA shows hopefully in the working hunters. I have been out of the game for a couple of years (torn suspensory... sigh..) and did mostly jumpers before, so I need all of your guy's help in my shopping endevours :D

I show IHSA in pastel peach and light blue. Nobody seems to mind.

bizbachfan
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
not really advice because I have been away from serious showing but personally I get a little tired of the navy coat, white shirt, tan breeches......don't mean I want to see wild stuff, but a grey coat here and there, etc.

sptraining
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
I think a white shirt is very formal and usually reserve it for medal finals or big shows (and I'm a really conservative dresser). If you want to have some more fun with your outfit, pick a very subtle color or stripe (stay away from fuschia - that was a terrible moment in horse show history...).

Beau Cheval
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:22 AM
I have two shirts that I wear: Light blue (with a navy w/pinstripes coat) and a white shirt with stripes of silvery stuff, orange, and purple (sounds gross, looks nice haha) . You can only see it from close up, and from far away (like in pictures) it looks white. I would go with something like that.

superpony123
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:27 AM
I am a bit tired of seeing white/navy white/navy, personally. Stand out a little bit! (now, nothing wild of course)

- If you would really prefer a white shirt with a little bit of something, there are lots that have designs or colorful linings in the collar and cuffs, some that have patterns in them (hard to describe but im sure youve seen them, like the white checkerboard ones) but save it for medal finals/IHSA zones/regionals/nationals or classic days at the AA's

- I have a really pretty white shirt that TS made, it's got really little blush pink pinstripes. It's one of my favourite shirts :) When it's super sunny, you can't even tell it's not solid white when you're on the horse and looking from farther away. I can wear it with my shadbelly, too. (yes, people. the stripes are that small and that faint. want pictures? try and tell me you can see the stripes haha)

- stick relatively conservative: i don't suggest getting one of those 'hot' colored ones, like bright melon or pink or aqua. bleh. they're pretty colors, but not with horse show attire!

- go for pastels with a bit of a pattern for some fun. i have a few essex shirts that i looooove. i have this shirt in mint green;
http://www.essexclassics.com/Product.aspx?Category=9&ProductId=85
it's a lot prettier, IMO, than a plain mint green shirt. it's very subtle, too. though i'm not really sure how this would look with a navy coat--i guess that depends on how blue your coat is? i wear mine with a charcoal grey coat, and it looks awesome. there are other colors for this shirt though, and i think the checkerboard type of pattern really makes it a little bit nicer :yes:
http://www.essexclassics.com/Product.aspx?Category=8&ProductId=728
also a nice choice! go for something fun with a few stripes and pastel color. it's always going to look classy and clean while still having a bit of "pizzazz" i guess you could say :)

joiedevie99
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:30 AM
IHSA eq isn't as conservative as Big Eq. Even at Nationals you will see plenty of subtle colors, plaids, and stripes.

HARROLDhasmyheart
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:38 PM
I love the Essex shirts where the collar has a bit of flair. I have a plain white one with a salmon pink 'inside' of the collar, and they make ones with flowers, stripes, etc. as well.

flyracing
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ok, So I just bought a essex shirt in light yellow (textured pinstripe) from ebay for $22! I'm hoping it looks good with my dark navy coat.