PDA

View Full Version : Best Bang for your buck: Half Chaps!

DeucesWild11
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:24 PM
I am in the market for new halfchaps, HOWEVER, I am also at a budget of <80$. (I know, I should just step up and get the better quality, but I just can't swing it now and I NEED new ones) Any recommendations to get the most out of my money? Thanks!

billiebob
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:37 PM
Dublin suede half chaps are very durable! They cost about $40. It took me three years to wear out my first pair. Sizing runs a little big, though.

Dressage.For.Life.
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:29 PM
Ariat Terrian Half Chaps. They're right about $80 and while they may not look the best they're very durable (have one pair that's over 3 1/2 years old- just replaced them this fall), lightweight, and they'll dry in 10 or 15 minutes in the summer and such.

myvanya
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:28 AM
A bunch of the ariat models are on sale now. I have the ariat all around II half chaps and love them! Very comfortable and durable and a very good fit. Since Ariat just re-did most of their models you can find many on sale. I believe the around IIs can be found from $40-$60.

Here is a link:

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,1848.html

shoponee70
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
you need the Grand Prix Elites!! right in your budget and they come in reg and tall black and brown adn are full grain. they also have seude but i love my full grains.. ive had them fo 2 years and the zippers / leather are still in great shape!!! i got mine over @ farm house. www.farmhousetack.com
864-457-3557 i love them.. grand prix quality at a resonable price!

starrysky
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:43 AM
I agree with the Ariat All-Around II's - I've had mine forever and want to buy a pair at the clearance price as a backup for when these finally die! I've been riding in them consistently for 3 or 4 years now!

Sulta
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:27 PM
Used .... just bought some decent suede ones for my daughter at the consignment place - $40. They were in good shape and fine for schooling. Last time I got her almost brand new Ariat black leather ones...they looked like they had never been worn.

caradino
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
Dublin suede half chaps are very durable! They cost about $40. It took me three years to wear out my first pair. Sizing runs a little big, though.

yes!! i have been very pleasantly surprised by my cheap-o Dublins! love 'em.

mine are probably about 3-4 years old at this point and the stitching is just starting to come apart in places with high wear. i have NEVER had a problem with the zipper or snaps, they wear like iron, are comfortable, and fit great. when i first got them my trainer was shocked at how well they fit and how nice they looked. thankfully, now that they are dying, i was just gifted a pair of new smooth leather treadsteps, but now i need black boots to match! :p

alteringwego
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have a pair of grand prix and a pair of journeyman's. Love them both and they've lasted a long time!

Nickelodian
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:12 AM
I second the recommendation of Grand Prix Elite Half Chaps. Mine look really good on, and are often mistaken for Tredsteps. Snaps at top and bottom and the stretch panel to give a tight fit.

equitationlane
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
I am SO glad you posted this! I had put my Ovation half chaps in the wash just before I went out of town. Your post reminded me of that. These are CHEAP, fit well, look good (well maybe not the baby blue ones) and you can just throw them in the wash.

LoriW
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
Ditto on the Dublins - mine last about 2-3 years and are so comfortable!

RolyPolyPony
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Dublins! And you can toss them in the washer!

CBinVT
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:27 PM
I bought a pair of Mountain Horse excelsiors, they were a good price $44.00. They are a back zip with stretch (faux?) leather and an extra panel of leather on the inside. They have been great, I like the look of a tall boot style half chap which is why I opted to try them. Holding up much better than my Ariats did, and they clean easily!

Sparkling_Sunset
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:08 PM
I third the Grand Prix Elite! I paid $75 for mine and always got compliments.

Note: The sizes run small, so if you're taller or heavier, they may not be the best choice.

Also, I'm giving a pair of Ovations (cheapo $20 Amara suede ones) a go, and wouldn't mind trying the new synthetic ones Tredstep has out.

Let us know what you and what you like!

chawley
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:12 PM
If you like the feel of a tall boot from your half chaps, try the Ariat oiled leather close contacts, I love mine. They run around $129.

DeucesWild11
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:34 PM
TADAA!!!! So whilst surfing ebay- I found a pair of tredstep Thoroughbreds for 70 bucks!! they look REALLY nice and run about 139 usually, so *hopefully* they turn out ok! cross your fingers!