PDA

View Full Version : what type of mane

Daisey-Bogie
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:45 PM
Ok I have a haflinger, I like to do eventing and other pleasure events. I have a beautiful full long mane. However, every time I ride I end up with a fist full of mane. I grab mane accidentally when I shorten, lengthen, or jump. I am seriously thinking of pulling. any IDEAS of how short I should pull. I would like, if possible to keep the look of the beautifull full/ wild mane. It is braided for dressage, but thats it.

Late
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:47 PM
As an alternative to pulling, you could always learn to do a running braid... which if I'm not mistaken is perfectly appropriate for Haflingers : )

I imagine if you did one before each ride you'd get very good at it!

SkipChange
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:19 PM
My friend had a halflinger, they just left his mane long and did a quick running braid most every time they rode. You don't need a show quality braid, usually takes 5 minutes, maybe 10 at most.

hldyrhrses
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:38 PM
We have 2 halflingers at our barn. we always wondered what they would look like without the long mane... so we decided to give the gelding a more "manly" look.. here is a link to a picture of Aspen... he's down at the bottom with the other school ponies. I think he looks better. The mare had a really nice long mane, but the gelding's was kind of rough and not as flowing.

http://appletreefarm.homestead.com/Staffpage.html

yellowbritches
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:27 PM
Well, I for one, am a huge fan of people getting rid of the long manes! Unfortunately, I don't think you'll be able to pull it and keep the wild mane (since that's the whole purpose of pulling!). Pull it to a length that is comfortable for you to braid it neatly...I generally go with no longer than the width of my hand, more or less. Some prefer it a little longer, some a little shorter (too short makes my hands hurt when I braid). He may not have that wild, flowing mane, but he will look absolutely cute as a button and will make a GREAT picture.

Having had to deal with 4 arabs who's owners would NOT let me pull their manes (despite the fact that none showed in breed shows), I have zero tolerance for long manes anymore. I don't have the paitence for the grooming they take to keep them burr and tangle free, and I can't stand the way they look if you DON'T do the grooming. My poor little arabs were hot and sweaty all summer because of their long, thick heavy manes (while my little appy, with his roached mane, was cool as a cucumber). And what's the point of a long mane if you are constantly braiding it to keep it out of the way? And, having dealt with the inadvertent grabbing of chunks of mane while riding, their really is nothing as annoying. Besides, how nice does a long mane look when chunks are missing from you always accidently ripping it out? ;)

Chop it off (or, really, pull it out). He'll look fantastic and SO cute!

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
OMG, yb, I love you!!

I LITERALLY could not agree more :sigh:

(And am kind of a Nazi about it actually...I have ONE student who likes that "long flowing mane" look on her TB mare--AUGH!! I have limited influence over her, unfortunately--other than saying "IF you event this horse again, I will NOT be seen with you in warmup with a long. messy mane--and a thin necked TB does NOT look good with a running braid!" :eek:)

Either pull it to an appropriate length, or roach the thing...

evans36
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:04 PM
Roach it! That's a breed appropriate look for a Halflinger just like the long, flowing mane. Actually when they're fit I think it's cuter because it shows off their archy neck better (at least it did with the pair I had at summer camp a few years back).

RiverBendPol
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:08 AM
Long, wild, flowing manes make me gag. Pull it short so it stands up. He'll look so cool.:cool:

eventamy
Oct. 14, 2009, 11:30 AM
I also have no tolerance for long manes. The first thing I did with my new draft cross mare was to pull her very long black mane (she'd been sitting in a field for a few years) and my husband thought it was just "wrong" and didn't see why I felt the need.
I think she looks beautiful and SO much better without it.
My Daughter's Pony Club DC has a new Canadian horse she just bought that I met last night. He has a very long, very pretty black mane. I mentioned that if she wants to event him she'll want to get rid of the mane, all the other ladies gasped when I said it. GIVE ME A BREAK!

Unprovoked92
Oct. 15, 2009, 09:54 PM
Oh, he's a haflinger, don't pull his mane. It is part of the breed standard. If you must get rid of it, roach it, you'll never be happy with it just pulled, it will be a constant battle to keep in thin enough.
I have one haflinger and two thoroughbreds. My tbs have short ready to braid manes, but my haffie is "all natural". I compete in novice level eventing with him, and I just clean and condition it very well and then put a sleazy on him for the night so it will stay flat. At home I brush it regularly and throw it in a running braid or big chucky braids if its really hot out.
I grew up helping my dad out at a haflinger breeding farm in Ma, so I'm a bit of a haflinger purist.

quietann
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:54 PM
If you want to grow out the mane, most Haffies have really, really thick manes. One idea is to part it down the middle and do a tight French braid on each side. I've seen this and it's very nice looking.

I will say, on a horse that grows a nice long mane, it really is a beautiful thing. And a french braid or running braid is very quick to put in -- much easier than the traditional braids. But not every horse will look good with a full mane, or is capable of growing one.

Daisey-Bogie
Oct. 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
WOW, that is some interesting differences. i hear you all and i have agreeed with each of you at some point in time with this mane. I have worked at a professional eventers barn and had to do the buttom type braids. I fingers ach just thinking of those. I tried the running braid the other day and it worked well for every day training. So i may keep it. don't know yet. However, to those other riders, I will never show up to a dressage ring with long mane. It will be beatuifully done. I know I am not at a breed show. I can't roach it, beaqcuse I live near the amish and every time i see a draft they have roached manes, and not well done, so now I am prejudice against them.

HappyHoppingHaffy
Oct. 16, 2009, 03:07 PM
I attempted to pull my haffie's mane...once. He has the double mane with the (very) thick wavy hair (hair I would kill for, mind you) and it was like I was torturing him while I tried to pull it. It was just too thick to pull.

I decided to roach it (you can see it in my profile pic) and it helps him stay cool in summer and it's so much easier to deal with (poo apparently makes a very comfy pillow). I don't shave it all the way down as I learned the hard way that can be quite abrasive to the face should you jump something funny. Leaving it a little longer also gives you something to grab onto should you need it.

I sometimes think I'll let his mane grow long again, but I really think the mohawk fits his haffie personality better. :)

starrysky
Oct. 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
I leased a haflinger for a year, who had a long mane. I was riding him in H/J classes, and trainer and I were going back and forth between pulling his mane, and doing the running braid. We opted to pull it, and it is amazing how much cuter he is with it short!!! Pull the mane!

If you hate it pulled, you can always roach it - my friend did that with her haffie, but the downfall was, since that haffie is a bit chunky, her neck fat kinda rolled up and looked really funny/cute.

JWB
Oct. 16, 2009, 05:00 PM
I am a HUGE fan of properly pulled manes - that said, when I owned an Arabian, I kept it long and did a running braid for eventing because she also went to Arabian shows and it was part of the breed standard.

A running braid only takes about 3-4 minutes once you've got the hang of it. I literally put one in my Arabian for EVERY ride.

It can look quite nice if done well....
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=294931&l=e28c7c0421&id=665238181

InVA
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:13 PM
I agree with the peeps above who say PULL IT! ;-) Yes, he's a haflinger, etc. but if you want to EVENT .. there are sport "standards" as well!

Are you not going to clip him if you event him in the winter? You do what you can to keep your horse comfortable and looking appropriate for their sport.

pull his mane!

Unprovoked92
Oct. 16, 2009, 09:59 PM
I event my haflinger very successfully. But he is a HAFLINGER FIRST and an event pony SECOND. I have never had any prejudice because of his long mane. Dressage judges all love him (with scores to prove it).

Are you not going to clip him if you event him in the winter? You do what you can to keep your horse comfortable and looking appropriate for their sport.

And yes I clip my haflinger for the winter, but that doesn't mean I have to hack his mane off. In very hot weather I braid it to school. He has never seemed uncomfortable because of his hair. And as someone who also competes TB braided, I have to say the haffie seems much more comfortable on show days than the braided horses. Appropriate for breed is just as important in my opinion.

And I think my pony's long mane looks splendid on him :)

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30190886&id=123300675

eventingismylife
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:47 PM
I would roach it. I hate long manes, it bugs me half to death.

maudie
Oct. 24, 2009, 09:14 PM
could you do a lattice braid? I think it's pretty and it's be easy to work with.

Noctis
Oct. 24, 2009, 10:09 PM
Roach it! HATE long manes...have a barn full of them (boarders) but HATE them. Think they look BAD riding, and get tangled up in your hands if loose. And I showed arabians most of my life....pulled and hunter braided. Roach! Or Pull!

katG
Oct. 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
I also vote for roaching his mane. I personally love the way it looks on Haflingers!

ThirdCharm
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:32 AM
It's not "I _can't_ roach it b/c I don't like it" it's "I _won't_ roach it b/c I don't like it"--a distinction that is sadly and frequently overlooked in today's society. :-)

If you don't like roaching b/c you see so many badly done jobs on amish horses, it seems that doing it WELL would be a simple solution. You wouldn't not drive a car because Yugos exist, would you?

Jennifer

Daisey-Bogie
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:44 AM
OK, CAN I SEE SOME PIC'S OF YOUR ROACH MANES? SOME PIC'S OF YOUR BRAIDS. HELP DECIDE WITH THE BEAUTY OF THE MANE!!!!

Ajierene
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:44 AM
It's not "I _can't_ roach it b/c I don't like it" it's "I _won't_ roach it b/c I don't like it"--a distinction that is sadly and frequently overlooked in today's society. :-)

If you don't like roaching b/c you see so many badly done jobs on amish horses, it seems that doing it WELL would be a simple solution. You wouldn't not drive a car because Yugos exist, would you?

Jennifer

I don't know....I know someone who won't drive a car because a friend got into a car accident...once...

She lives in Scotland now, so it isn't so bad, but she couldn't get a job or anything because she lived in a rural area and refused to drive a car. Now I think she can take public transportation and at least earn her keep.

As far as the mane goes - you do whatever your little heart desires. Horse hair, like people's hair, has a purpose to keep warm but it is also fashionable. Some wear their short, some long, some get butchered by an owner that wants short hair but hates pulling (anyone wanna pull a horse's mane?). As long as the mane is kept neat, I like long hair on haflingers. I like a nice roach on a thick neck also. I find that short hair on a thick horse looks odd. But that's just me.

HappyHoppingHaffy
Oct. 26, 2009, 03:07 PM
OK, CAN I SEE SOME PIC'S OF YOUR ROACH MANES? SOME PIC'S OF YOUR BRAIDS. HELP DECIDE WITH THE BEAUTY OF THE MANE!!!!

Click on my profile pic and you'll see my haffie's roached mane. We get lots of compliments for our turnout.
Here's a link, too...
Hunting:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=338190&l=1d87a0c626&id=1068781776
Dressaging:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=619248&l=97fcf3d61f&id=1068781776
All the way shaved (abrasive to the face should the two meet):
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=348493&l=3773e45b73&id=1068781776

Montanas_Girl
Oct. 27, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have two Arabs, and at the moment one has a long mane and one (my hunter gelding) has a pulled mane. I can tell you without reservation that the long mane is about 1,000 times easier to maintain than the pulled mane. My horses both have very thick manes that grow quickly, so I end up spending 45 minutes every WEEK pulling my gelding's mane to keep it under control - and it is still so thick that it doesn't lie very flat and would be a PITA to braid. On my filly with the long mane, on the other hand, I spend about 2 minutes a day detangling her mane. That's it - and her mane already reaches past the point of her shoulder. Her hair does not in any way interfere when I'm riding her, although I would do a running braid if we were jumping just in case.

I personally like both looks, and I pulled my gelding's mane to "fit in" with the hunter crowd. However, when we're talking about ease of maintenance, long manes beat pulled manes hands-down with horses that grow a lot of very thick hair! Your guy might look very cute with a pulled or roached mane. A roached mane would be pretty simple to maintain, I would think. If you don't like it, you can always grow the mane back out. It's only hair. That's what I'm doing with my gelding's mane now that he is no longer able to jump.

wildlifer
Oct. 28, 2009, 03:35 PM
Roach the sucker. I did my guy's roach job about six months ago and I LOVE it. Keep it even and trim and it makes a muscley neck look great and it's almost zero maintenance, instant show ring ready. It's just freakin' hair, if you change your mind, it will grow back, no harm no foul.

belleellis
Oct. 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
HappyHoppingHaffy that horse looks horrible...please send him to me immediately!!! I LOF him! He is so handsome.

belleellis
Oct. 28, 2009, 04:48 PM
I have a supposed Haffie/Morgan. I do some hunter paces but mostly trail ride. He is pretty cute and roached. When he is not flexing the bottom neck muscle (gag) he is adorable roached. I got sick of the mane tangling in the reins so I pulled it. Coming from pleasure horses I could not take the wild short look so I roached it over a year ago. Super easy and I get complements on him all the time.
With shortened mane: http://apps.facebook.com/horse_book/album/viewphoto/?photoid=8047733
with no mane: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2847738&id=528669150
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2847738&id=528669150#/photo.php?pid=2847741&id=528669150