PDA

View Full Version : PPE Spin Off- For a young unbroke horse

eventer80
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:22 PM
What kind of PPE (if any) for a yearling-3 year old that is unbroke............

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
Depends on the cost of the youngster a bit for me. I've bought several yearlings....all of them I did a PPE. On a youngster like that, I just had my vet take a look at him, look a the eyes, listen to the heart and watch them move. (no flexions)

On the two year old I bought, he was a big boy so I did a standard PPE with full xrays. He was also more mature so to ask him to stand for xrays wasn't a big deal but we did very limited flexions...not sure we did any really.

A three year old...I would do a standard PPE. How many xrays I would do would depend on cost of horse and what I saw...but in young horses, I think xrays are good to watch out for OCD (and if there is...determine if it will be a problem). And assuming they are fine...it gives you a nice baseline anyway.

slp2
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:28 PM
I'll weigh in since I did this very recently. I was buying a nicely bred 2 yo. They had all the vet records and even a set of x-rays from when he was 8 mos old. everything looked good to my vet. He was out of state, so I arranged for a good vet clinic to do the PPE. We planned to do the basic overall physical plus x-rays of the hocks (and if there were any red flag areas identified in the flexions). The flexions went perfectly, everything went well until we did x-rays of the hocks. Sadly, the vet found a bone chip or fragment that was in a terrible place near the high motion part of the hock joint. Probably happened recently, maybe just a kick from another horse caused it. She said that it couldn't be surgically removed and buying him would be taking a huge chance since he may be unsound once he goes into work. I was bummed for him, but glad that I did those x-rays, otherwise I probably would own him now and have no idea that he might have future problems. I guess I would do as much of a PPE as you think is reasonable for the horses price. But I always remind myself that the purchase price is nuthin' compared to the lifelong "payment plan" that comes along with owning a horse.

wanderlust
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:28 AM
My vet insists on stifle rads in a 3yo not in work- she's seen too many that flexed fine and had no other signs but were later found to have OCD when they were put into work. Stifle OCD is no bueno in a horse intended for dressage or jumping. She also likes to see hocks and front feet.