PDA

View Full Version : Spin off - How many give treats after a class?

Green Acres
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:17 PM
Spin off of patting horse after an equitation round....how many of you give your beastie a treat after a good round / class?

My trainer firmly believes in giving a treat if the horse was good but I'm just curious what others do / think?

hj0519
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:23 PM
I usually do if I remember to bring treats to the ring.

HenryisBlaisin'
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:25 PM
I don't let my horse eat with the bit in his mouth. But after a show he gets lots of treats regardless of how we did.

jaslyn1701
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:52 PM
The show horses at our barn always get treats at the end of a round. Usually a small piece of carrot or a horsie treat, but something. And they all know who the "treat fairy" is! LOL:)

WorthTheWait95
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:08 PM
Ours get treats if they're good. It's interesting to watch them when they know they've been good they put on their 'cookie faces' as soon as they drop back to the walk. When they've been bad they usually don't even bother asking (dirty stops, runouts, etc. They still get cookies if the issue on course was rider error though). Funny how quickly they learn what is/isn't rewarded. They have to wait and be polite otherwise they don't get one and they never get cookies until after they've exited the ring (it's always given by a groom and never by someone on their back since I don't want to teach them to swing their heads around toward my foot...too dangerous).

RyuEquestrian
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:52 PM
We always give a treat to our jumpers (especially the younger ones) when they leave the ring. I'd like to think it encourages to like being in the ring since I haven't had a ring sour one yet :-)

maggiemae
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Mine always gets a treat after a good round. But, the rider always gives it. My mare is way to smart and would run out of the ring to get to the person with the treat. She has tried to stop during lessons when she sees my trainer or me (if my trainer is riding her) to beg for a treat. The only time I have an issue with her swinging her head is if I'm a little slow giving the treat. I don't have any issue in line ups during flat classes -- she seems to realize she is still being admired by everyone....

lesson junkie
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:16 PM
I feed treats from the saddle. I know it's bad, but I am consistant about the reward, and he's a great guy-doesn't take too much liberty.

My horse so obviously has more talant than I can ever tap-at least I can give him a treat after he carts my butt around.

JinxyFish313
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:31 PM
I don't treat at the ring but a carrot or apple is in order as soon as they return to the stall/trailer, regardless of whether he/she was good or not. I use my voice and exaggerated patting to reward a special effort from the horse on the way out of the ring.

This is going to sound horrible but one of my clients has a very spirited young stallion with absolutely no common sense at all. He spooks at everything, has never stood still for more than 2.5 seconds, chases hay or clumps of hair around...he's like a not-very-bright puppy or something. One of his awful habits is refusing to stop after finishing a round in the jumpers. You can circle and circle until the next person starts their course, but he's just not stopping. He'll mow anybody in the in gate area down if they dont get out of his way (and he's 17.3+). We finally got him to stop after the in gate by offering a molasses treat. So now he plows like a train to the gate, trots out and will stop in front of me if I/groom/owner has treat in palm. If you miss him and he continues trotting out into the schooling area or wherever, he'll come back to you when he hears/smells the treat come out. We work on this at home all the time but at home he just calmly comes back to the walk after a course, its frustrating and I know the treat thing isn't the best solution, but so far its the safest.

tbeventer
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:55 PM
I always have sugar cubes in my pocket and as soon as we finish a dressage test or show jump round, my boys always get a treat, plus apples or carrots when we get back. They're the most wonderful, willing horses I've ever met and I don't think the rewards to any damage. You get more bees with honey, right?

Arado*TB
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:01 PM
I'm the walking treat bag. They love and get peppermints when the exit the ring.I swear they can hear the cellophane at a thousand yards.

showjump
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'm the walking treat bag. They love and get peppermints when the exit the ring.I swear they can hear the cellophane at a thousand yards.

I know mine cane hear it, they stop and look back saying where is it?

Lucassb
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:56 PM

I know mine cane hear it, they stop and look back saying where is it?

Ditto!!!

kdriding
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:00 PM
My daughter's horse always gets a peppermint when he leaves the ring for both flat classes or over fences. He puts on his treat face the second he comes down to walk and heads to the ingate. If I am show to get it for him he stands there with and exasperated look on his face. lol I can't say no to him!

Oldenburg99
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
We give ours peppermints and trust me, they know that sound of the wrappper :)

But our trainer will hand them to us (if we are sitting on the horse between rounds) and make the rider give the treat because he said we should be the one rewarding our critters, not him.

showmom858
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:01 PM
Our trainer always has pepermints for the horses when they come out of the ring and do well. I always tell DD that it's amazing what her horse will do for a little piece of candy!

hanoverian_mare
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:07 PM
Always! They jump their hearts out for us, its the least we can do!

LockeMeadows
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:39 PM
Ours will sometimes get a treat before they good in. It keeps everyone happy; horse included. :D

Valeureux
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:55 PM
My monster always get a treat after we're done with our course. Probably because he saves my ass, but just as a positive reward for being brave in the jumper ring and not spooking at the jumps (although there was that dolphin that was going to eat him) He deserves it for being a good boy :)

Sacred_Petra
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
I always give treats after a good ride. My new boy didn't have a very good life before me, so I feel like he deserves them when hes good, plus I love the way he starts licking me after I give him a treat. I probably shouldn't let him lick me, but I figure so long as he isn't biting, its okay.