PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have/seen this Pessoa bridle?

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:19 PM
http://www.justbridles.com/index.php?p=product&id=40&parent=3

If I want to get the figure 8 for my Arab (which I do), it looks like I'm going to have to go with this one since I can combine pony, cob and horse parts (*HUGE sigh*).

I've never heard anyone really mention Pessoa bridles before, so I'm just looking for input in quality, durability etc. Granted the price without reins is pretty reasonable.... :)

So thoughts? Experiences?

FlightCheck
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:45 PM
That looks like the Pessoa I have for the FatPaintMare, who has a QH jaw, but short cheekbones and a smaller muzzle.

I love it!

Foxhall
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
I've never really liked the pessoa bridles. The leather isn't that good quality and they take a long, long time to darken. I finally got so frustrated with the bridle not darkening when I oiled it thoroughly once a week for 6 months, I literally filled a bucket with oil and stuck the whole bridle in and left it overnight. Probably overkill because the bridle was very very dark the next morning and still seeps oil. I said to hell with it and bought a new bridle. (Edgewood, and am very happy with)

Sudi's Girl
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:12 PM
That looks like the Pessoa I have for the FatPaintMare, who has a QH jaw, but short cheekbones and a smaller muzzle.

I love it!

Really? That's how my Arab is... Did you customize it? If not - what size did you get?? How does the sizing run?

Sudi fits in his COB sized Passier flash jumper bridle fabulously - and I use that for dressage mainly. But their head stall and throat latch run large - so it fits him GREAT.

I tried both the horse and cob size of the fancy padded HDR bridle recently and neither fit him :(

FlightCheck
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:28 AM
I don't want a really dark bridle - if I did I would have bought one ;)

I had looked at the Edgewoods several times, but when I actually held both bridles, the Pessoa was softer and felt better.

I actually MEASURED her in the bridle she was currently wearing, and brought the measurements to the tack shop. (Because I had BEEN to the tack shop before but my "guesstimator" was off).

jn4jenny
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:48 AM
That's a nice bridle, it really is. But if you are looking for alternatives, at that price Bartville Harness Shop could custom make what you need for less than $140 and you'd essentially own a custom Nunn Finer Figure 8. They already stock custom bridle components in cob and horse size, including figure 8 nosebands, and that means they'd only have to custom-make the parts you need in pony size.

The baseline price for comparison would be to order the custom bridle with a figure 8 noseband, in any combination of horse and cob sized parts, at $110.65. If you only had to customize a few parts to pony size, you'd still come out below $140.

FoxChaser
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
I have a Rodrigo that looks just like the one pictured. I ordered a full-sized for my 17+hh OTTB. It's maybe a hair big, but I do like it. I oiled the heck out of it w/Hydrophane to darken it a bit and have been happy with it ever since. The reins are really nice too!!