PDA

View Full Version : Lesser of Evils?

Hunter Mom
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:09 PM
My mare has a lovely, thick mane that naturally lays to the left. Errr. I dont' show at that many shows a year where braiding is required, and, honestly, I usually have to get 2 horses ready (mine and overseeing DD's) so don't braid if I'm going to be the ONLY one braided. We are showing mostly at local circuit shows in hunters and/or eq, with a few jumper days thrown in. Here is my dilemma:

IF her mane is shortened/pulled to the correct length to braid, it stands straight up (think Mohawk-Mane). IF I leave it long enough to stay down, it goes to the left and no amount of braiding before the shows can tame it - I've tried!

Which looks worse - a mane laying to the left, or one that sticks straight up?

Renn/aissance
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:20 PM
If you think you'll look like a goofball either way, do whatever makes you and your mare happiest. If you can get the mane to start off the round on the right before it migrates left, though, leave it long, brush it over to the right before you go in the ring, and let it flop over to the left over your first fence.

SkipChange
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:20 PM
Let it lay on the left.

In my opinion...
Jumpers look great with mohawks and banged tails
Hunters should have a tame mane and more natural tail.

TheOneandOnly
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:06 PM
I'm actually a HUGE fan of the mohawk look. I think it looks a lot neater than a floppy one but that's just me =P

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:28 PM
I'd take a mohawk over laying to the left... a horse with a mohawk just looks like it has unruly hair. A horse with a mane laying to the left looks like it has an owner who doesn't know which side of the neck the mane is supposed to lay on.

kookicat
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:05 PM
Just curious, because I have one like it- what have you tried to tame it? I've been doing the plaiting on the right side and leaving it in for a while thing, but it's not working that well.

Green Acres
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:14 PM
Just curious, because I have one like it- what have you tried to tame it? I've been doing the plaiting on the right side and leaving it in for a while thing, but it's not working that well.

I would like to try that but am afraid my horse would rub his mane. :no: My guys's mane has half on left side and half on the other.

cnvh
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:20 PM
I'd take a mohawk over laying to the left... a horse with a mohawk just looks like it has unruly hair. A horse with a mane laying to the left looks like it has an owner who doesn't know which side of the neck the mane is supposed to lay on.

What are you supposed to do when your horse's mane just GOES left? I've had my OTTB for a year now, and after his short-lived racing career, he spent 2 years out in a field with no one paying ANY attention to him-- I'm pretty sure his mane wasn't trained to go left, it just DOES. I keep it neatly pulled, but it'll never be a right-side mane unless... well how exactly DO you reverse that, anyway?? I don't even know.

Granted, I don't go to the kind of shows that require braiding (probably never will), just curious...

spmoonie
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:45 PM
I think it is a combination of personal preferance and the anatomy of your individual horse. My guy has a very similar mane---if pulled to the right length, it stands straight up. For him, he has a pretty nice neck and the "mohawk look" really shows it off and gives him a lovely topline. If your horse has a really thick neck, you should probably lay it over to the left. If her neck is about "normal" or on the thinner side, I would choose the mohawk. I think it looks very nice on many horses! :winkgrin:

Renn/aissance
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:09 PM
What are you supposed to do when your horse's mane just GOES left?

You do what you can, and then you try not to look at it.

Lazy Palomino Hunter
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:41 PM
You do what you can, and then you try not to look at it.

I disagree, Renn!

My answer is... pull it from the right (which yes, will take a fair amount of determination) and then put big loose fat braids in it. Every once in awhile, take the braids out, wet it down to right, and brush it. If it still wants to flip to the left, braid it back up.

When it's time to pull it again, pull it from the right.

Pulling it from the left side is only going to make your job harder. I maintain that most manes can be taught to lay on the right, if they're pulled and trained appropriately. Eventually it will lay right.

(Renn- this is excluding Manny's mane, which defies the laws or gravity by pointing STRAIGHT UP no matter it's length or training attempts)

Trevelyan96
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:59 PM
You can train it to fall to the right if its heavy enough. Inky came to us with a beautiful, long thick mane, falling on the left. DD worked on it all summer with a wet comb, and now its falling to the right and lying flat, so its finally ready to pull. But you have to leave it long while you're training it over, don't pull it until its naturally lying flat on the right.

But we had the luxury of time!

tBHj
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'm actually a HUGE fan of the mohawk look. I think it looks a lot neater than a floppy one but that's just me =P

I agree.

luckeys71
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:39 PM
My mare has a mane that likes to do the stand straight up thing. She has a really pretty neck, so I think it looks good on her, but would prefer that it would lay nicely on the right, like it is supposed to. I have fussed with it forever. I bred her, so I've had her all her life. When she was stall bound for 2 months, it laid nicely on the right, but as soon as she went back out(24hr. pasture), it got unruly, again. It must have something to do with the wind. My barn always seems to be very breezy. I've tried loading it with sculpting gel and banding it, which is less work than braiding and not as likely to cause rubbing. It helps for a while, then it goes back.

Hunter Mom
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:05 PM
Lol! Hers did lie right, once, for a day. I had pulled it (always from the right). The day I bathed it was quite windy and I let her graze while she dried, standing so the wind hit her left side. Her mane actually stayed to the right for a day.

ambar
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:32 PM
I don't deal a lot with pulled manes, but I've never had much trouble training a natural mane to the other side. Brush it, wet it, braid it over to the side you want, repeat a few times. Once it's pulled, all bets are off. :yes:

fourmares
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:57 AM
I really doubt it matters. First you have to find eight perfect spots. If you can do that there's a good chance what your horse's mane does won't matter unless there are at least one other rider who can do it too... then I think that where the mane lays is pretty far down the list as far as tie breakers go.

Kikki
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:10 AM
I'd pull it to the proper length then BAND it, not BRAID it. I have had better luck with banding because you can pull the main REALLY tight to the neck and it stays over better/longer. I think this way you could get away with it only being unbanded the day you show. Keeping it banded ill help but at least wash it a few days before the show, condition it, then band it, pulling it tight to the neck. Take them out the morning you show but do not wash the mane again. I agree that pulling it to the right will help as well.

Jo
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
We have a horse at our barn who is regularly champ/reserv... literally almost every time out.

Mane lays left, always has, always will. Neatly trimmed. Never has affected his placings.

Hopefully this link works:

http://static.equine.com/listing_images//7/1/8/718921_11430295_hd.jpg

RugBug
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:50 AM
I ride one that the bottom half of the mane falls left and then the upper half splits and falls right AND left. Before he was in my charge, I always thought he had a thin, wispy mohawk mane....turns out it was just how the person was pulling it. She was taking WAY too much out and pulling it WAY too short. He's actually got a ton of mane, I just could never tell. Pulled properly it will still lay over just fine. For the most part, I ignore it, but if we're going somewhere, I will pull it to the right and then wet and braid it over the week before the event. But show time, it's happy to lay to the right...and will do so for another week or so after.

Dramapony_misty
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:12 PM
I really doubt it matters. First you have to find eight perfect spots. If you can do that there's a good chance what your horse's mane does won't matter unless there are at least one other rider who can do it too... then I think that where the mane lays is pretty far down the list as far as tie breakers go.

I agree. If the mane falls on both sides, by all means, go ahead with the hassle of training it to fall on the right side. But to have a mane lay beautifully on the left, I doubt it's worth the hassle (and breaking hairs) to try to make go to the right.

I want to give a good visual impression. I bathe, I clip, I pull, I polish, I braid, I give treats, but my girl's mane lays on the left side. Guess that makes me an ignorant mommy who doesn't take good care of my girl :no:

Life's to short for that. I'd rather be riding. I say let it grow a bit if you know you won't have to braid it for those shows, and take spend the precious time you save (by not worrying about which side the mane falls), in the saddle enjoying your horse.

TSWJB
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
We have a horse at our barn who is regularly champ/reserv... literally almost every time out.

Mane lays left, always has, always will. Neatly trimmed. Never has affected his placings.

Hopefully this link works:

http://static.equine.com/listing_images//7/1/8/718921_11430295_hd.jpg

with a jump like that, who cares about the mane!!!!! he is gorgeos!!!

Jo
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thanks, TSWJB. He is an absolute joy to ride and places quite well O/F and on the flat with his left-sided mane. ;)

imapepper
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:36 PM
I agree. If the mane falls on both sides, by all means, go ahead with the hassle of training it to fall on the right side. But to have a mane lay beautifully on the left, I doubt it's worth the hassle (and breaking hairs) to try to make go to the right.

I want to give a good visual impression. I bathe, I clip, I pull, I polish, I braid, I give treats, but my girl's mane lays on the left side. Guess that makes me an ignorant mommy who doesn't take good care of my girl :no:

Life's to short for that. I'd rather be riding. I say let it grow a bit if you know you won't have to braid it for those shows, and take spend the precious time you save (by not worrying about which side the mane falls), in the saddle enjoying your horse.

Agree :) I will work hard to make a mane lie correctly if it falls on both sides but both my mare and old gelding's mane fall neatly to the left. And I always keep their mane pulled and they are trimmed and otherwise well turned out. I am not going to worry about it.....especially since neither of them will be seen in the hunter ring anytime soon ;)

KFC1177
Oct. 12, 2009, 03:49 PM
I have a horse with a mane that wants to be on the left. I've tried it all to get it to go right, it will for a bit and then end up on the left again.
I've given up on it, but I do braid it to the right for showing. . and it comes out looking great.