PDA

View Full Version : Barns in Dayton/Huber Heights, Ohio

TxEventer81
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hi all... I was wondering if any of you could post or PM me some possible barns near Dayton, Ohio, ideally near the Huber Heights area. I have a filly that I want to bring here in May '10 and I'm just getting a head start since I'm not familiar with the area. She'll be a yearling in May so I'm just looking for a place that's safe, with good fields and buddies, that's also near my house (close the the AFB/east side of Huber Heights). I'd appreciate any leads. Also if ya'll have any vet recommendations I'd be happy to take those as well. :D Thanks so much!

JNW
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:40 PM
There is a barn in New Carlise ran by someone named Kristen it is a dressage barn not sure of the name but I've heard good things. Emerald Valley is under new ownership. Possibly new name that is in Huber. I knew some one who was boarding at Affinia farm and they really liked it. http://www.affinia-farm.com/
Stay away from Classical Times Farm in New Carlise. They talk a good talk but they are not very nice people. Very unstable personalities. The horses are turned out for a very limited time of the year no matter what they say. The poor things don't get out of their stalls for months. It was a huge mistake ever boarding there, long story..
There are some very nice barns south of Dayton also. Look on this website www.tacktrunkoh.com It is a local tack shop south of Dayton and at the bottom of the page is a community area which has a bunch of info on the area.
I love my vet Dr. Savini. He owns Walnut Grove 845-3146. I've used him for 10yrs. He and his staff are wonderful.

tle
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:47 PM
2 vet recommendations:

Good Thunder Vet Service on Hwy 40 just north of Midway. The vet (Dr. Bill Patterson) is an FEI vet and very good (he's also a competitive polo player). He is also partners in a practice in Florida. Upside of this arrangement is that he is very good with lameness and does $$ procedures on $$ horses (therefore experience). Downside is that he's gone in the winter and you work with one of his associates.

Walnut Grove Vet Service in Troy. excellent vet in Dr. Charles Savini. He was the last vet I used with Char and Frankie and I adore him. I have nothing but good things to say about him and his business.

I'm not terribly familiar with barns on that end of town, sorry. If you need anything on the other side (Miamisburg/West Carrollton area), let me know. I would second the above recommendations as well from what I have heard from people I trust. I also don't know if she's still boarding folks or not, but if you end up towards the Tipp City area, let me know before you make a firm decision -- I know someone up there to avoid like the plague.

SLR
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:40 PM
Good boarding barns in the Dayton area are very hard to find. Sorry. Emerald Valley has been purchased by a lady who was involved with Pony Club as DC I believe, before they moved back to the Dayton area, but that's all I know. There are better places probably in the Beavercreek area, which is on the East side of Wright Patt. Vets; hands down, Dr. Savini at Walnut Grove, the other vet mentioned you can PM me about.