PDA

View Full Version : Eq critique please!

LearnToFly
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:46 AM
hey guys! My trainer from school and home have both looked at this and given me their constructive criticism, but I'll throw it to you guys and see what you have to say! (you can ignore my commentary, and probably should turn the video on silent because my IHSA team can't ever shut up! But I love you guys!! Hehe)

See IHSA videos here (http://lessonswithlaura.blogspot.com/2009/10/ihsa-sewanee-or-how-i-shocked-myself.html)

Carrera
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
Overall it looked good! Nice and tidy and clean.

A few things that I would work on are: try to get your leg a little more under you, thumbs up! and chin up/look up!

Duckz
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:08 PM
Really nice! You look like a balanced rider who knows how to stay out of the horse's way and let him do his job. There were a few times when your leg was a little in front of the girth between fences, and at the close spots you tend to jump ahead (don't we all?). Overall you look secure and effective over fences. Good job and congrats on pointing to Intermediate :)

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:19 PM
I havent watched the video yet, but I just wanted to point out that we competed against each other!!! haha Congrats on moving up!

jetsmom
Oct. 11, 2009, 01:22 PM
I probably wouldn't be sitting on the horse's back so much over fences. A lighter seat/half seat would look smoother and more flowing. I realize it is eq, but it is acceptable to move between a half seat and full seat o/f, as opposed to a flat class where you want to sit.

You tend to look down and the stripe on your helmet emphasizes that.

Your coat sleeves are a little short. That makes too much sleeve visible which is distracting, as it makes any movement in your hands more noticable.

LearnToFly
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:27 PM
I havent watched the video yet, but I just wanted to point out that we competed against each other!!! haha Congrats on moving up!

That's awesome! What team are you with?

alteringwego
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:41 PM
get your leg back and under you a bit more. Many times you are pinching with your knee; your leg isn't swinging but it makes you sit on your butt a bit heavy (which is something that none of us need).
Slow down and composure yourself over fences. It looked like you were a passenger on a school horse to me. The difference in intermediate and novice riders is that intermediate riders sit up and work to change what they've got. Open riders not only try to change the horse that they have under them but they get it. Ride the horse from your leg, forward and into your hand. Work with the horse throughout the course to improve what you've drawn. It's tough to get a fabulous trip out of IHSA horses but can be done. Now if you're half way through the course and horsey is still fighting you and not responding, then ride what you've got. But judges would like to see you try.

Kaelurus
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:34 PM
LTF - You were riding at my Alma Mater! Lol, I'm glad I saw this thread, and the videos. I sent my horse Kane to Sewanee last summer, and he made an appearance in the Novice Flat video... made my day :-)

You got a lucky draw on Spottie! I drew that horse for tryouts my freshman year there, and that was a loooooooong time ago, lol. He is a saint, and from one I understand, more than a decade later he is still one of the best draws.

Nice rides, and congrats on the move-up! (Even if you are riding for the competition...lol)

theblondejumper
Oct. 11, 2009, 03:40 PM
You looked great! Love the blog I'm gonna add it to my Google Reader! :)

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 11, 2009, 06:04 PM
I go to TTU! I drew nantucket! Loved him!!! I only jumped the second day! Got him over his "spooky" fence that day! My last fence was HORRIBLE!!!!!! haha thats probably why I didn't place!

LearnToFly
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:58 PM
LTF - You were riding at my Alma Mater! Lol, I'm glad I saw this thread, and the videos. I sent my horse Kane to Sewanee last summer, and he made an appearance in the Novice Flat video... made my day :-)

You got a lucky draw on Spottie! I drew that horse for tryouts my freshman year there, and that was a loooooooong time ago, lol. He is a saint, and from one I understand, more than a decade later he is still one of the best draws.

Nice rides, and congrats on the move-up! (Even if you are riding for the competition...lol)

AH! Small world! I had Kane on the flat on Saturday. And I think I drew him both days on the flat in February!

alterwengo, that's how I feel about it too. My gelding hurt himself this summer and my leg/seat is not nearly where I would like it to be (or where it was when I got all my points in novice!), just due to lack of saddle time. Coach has me doing no-stirrup work every lesson.

Rescue_rider9, I remember your course! :D I'm pretty stoked about Maryville, though I'm not sure if I'm showing since we're bringing horses and need warm up riders.

theblondejumper thanks!

Won For Fun
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:12 PM
I rode IHSA and I know it is really hard, but I found it distracting that you have to look for your lead every time you landed from a line. As soon as you looked down, you lost a stride or two where you could have concentrated on getting straight or getting the flying change. Riding is all about feel. Learn to feel your leads.

forestergirl99
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:25 PM
I know you! hahaha. I believe my gray gelding just happens to have the paddock right beside your horse. =))

LearnToFly
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:31 PM
I know you! hahaha. I believe my gray gelding just happens to have the paddock right beside your horse. =))

I believe you are correct! :lol::lol::lol: Man, I love COTH. Hahaha.

Kaelurus
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:11 PM
LTF - If you have any pics/videos of Kane, would you PM me? I owned that horse for most of his life, and intend to bring him home when he's ready to retire, but for now, I'm back in school and can't give him the attention he deserves. I sent him to Sewanee because I know he receives the BEST care there, and man does he love his hundred-acre turnout!!

LearnToFly
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:16 PM
LTF - If you have any pics/videos of Kane, would you PM me? I owned that horse for most of his life, and intend to bring him home when he's ready to retire, but for now, I'm back in school and can't give him the attention he deserves. I sent him to Sewanee because I know he receives the BEST care there, and man does he love his hundred-acre turnout!!
I may have a couple on facebook, I'll PM them to you if I can find them!

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:36 PM
Rescue_rider9, I remember your course! :D I'm pretty stoked about Maryville, though I'm not sure if I'm showing since we're bringing horses and need warm up riders.

Ahh.. my poor course! IDK how we are doing our warm up riders thing.. I mean we only have a few riders.. so maybe our coach will be our only warm up rider... IDK. I do know i get to jump both days this time!! Heck yeah! I am super stoked about maryville too! Its possible my horse MAY be there. We arent sure yet because we might be selling one of our good horses and my horse is next in line I think! She will probably be an intermediate horse. She is a ton of fun to ride, but can be pretty difficult sometimes! Just warn your riders about the like 14.3 horse who pretends to be a warmblood with a TB brain! hahaha Her name will be Ready to Riot.. Fitting for her! HAHAHA

TheOneandOnly
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:19 AM
Ill start by saying that you look nicer than many of the other riders I can see going by so you deserved it!! The first thing I see is your arms. I'd say try to make an effort to bend at the elbows, or "soften" not lock them down. Over fences Id like to see a little bit lighter seat, only a little, and maybe try to sit a little more on your crotch and less on your pockets. On the flat, at the trot, I think posting softly makes a MUCH pretty picture. The bangbangbang makes it look like your having a hard time. Consciously control your posting especially the downward half. (My trainer uses the egg under your butt visualization)

Other than that good luck in your season and congrats!

Kenike
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:22 AM
Definitely lighten your seat and get off the back a bit. Even in eq it's preferable to see a little lighter seat (sits bones, not pockets). And stop looking for your leads! Every single time you looked it was a)noticeable, b) a loss of stride/rhythm/pace for you, c) the most obvious place (other than the half-stride close spots at the fence) that you lost your leg. That will pretty the picture up quite a bit and improve your riding that little extra piece.
Otherwise, you look great! Obviously well balanced and willing to let your horse do the work. Congrats on your great weekend! And good luck with your masses of papers for school (I'm in the same boat!)