PDA

View Full Version : Boarding barns: How much storage is reasonable?

2foals
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi everyone, I'm planning on doing some renovations and upgrades in our barn, and I'm considering how much storage space to put in for our boarders.

Right now I'm considering a tackroom with plenty of saddle and bridle racks, and then a locker for each horse in the aisleway. The lockers might tentatively be about 3 1/2 ft tall by about 2 1/2 to 3 feet wide with shelves. These would be for grooming/bathing supplies, saddlepads, boots, extra tack, etc. Each stall will have a blanket rack for blanket storage during the winter season. I do not keep trunks in the aisle, and there would probably not be enough room in the tackroom for each person to keep a trunk there. We are considering putting in an upstairs room where people could put tack trunks and store a few out of season items. Is this enough?

It seems like there is a wide variation as to what boarders expect. Some people seem to be happy to store the bare necessities and items that are currently in use, others expect that they can store ALL of their horsey possessions out at the barn at all times--mountains of blankets, six trunks, etc. I'm trying to come up with a happy, reasonable medium. I want to make life nice for my boarders while still having room to have stalls for the horses. :)

What do you think? What does your barn allow? How much stuff do you expect to keep at the barn vs. at home? Do you expect to be able to keep your show trunks at the barn?

debra
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:07 PM
coming from a barn with almost NO room, i think you're idea is quite reasonable- a locker in the tack room, and room for 2 saddles and two bridles/horse plus an area for them to store trunks with non essentials.
I have room for two saddles and two bridles, but I have to hang my cooler/fly sheet/ and no doubt winter blankets when the time comes over top of my saddles, which will cause a problem if they are wet... then I have a small shelf, just large enough to put my brush box on and that's it! There is no room for boots-for me or my horse or any supplies that don't fit in my brush box- which is just your basic plastic tote. I keep a few things in my trailer. I don't really mind though because I'm pretty much a minimalist and don't purchase things that I don't need. I think that you're on the right track!

jaslyn1701
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:07 PM
Had the occasion to visit a barn not too long ago. Off the barn aisle was a door which led to a hall way that contained nothing but bi-fold doors. Being nosy, and since they weren't locked, I opened one or two. Inside was, for lack of a better description, was a small room - maybe 4 feet across the front, maybe 6 or 8 feet deep. They were for the boarders to keep all their stuff in. There was plenty of room for tack trunks, there were saddle racks mounted to the walls, bridle racks, etc. Was really, really cool and made the barn aisle look really neat since all the "stuff" was stored away.

Edited to add that these storage rooms are bigger than the closets in my house!

jn4jenny
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:20 PM
I'm one of these "has a million pounds of stuff" boarders. I am always up-front with future BO's about this fact.

A big factor for me is whether you have trailer parking within a reasonable distance from the barn. If I can keep some/most of my stuff in the trailer and access it as needed, then I don't really care about the storage restrictions.

I was at one barn that had roughly the setup you're describing, and it worked out fine. Between people putting stuff in their trailers and only a few of us having trunks/multiple pieces of horse clothing, everything was tidy in the barn. We had big hooks hung up high for the blankets, and all of a given horse's blankets were stored on the same hook. There were also blanket bars on each door.

Risk-Averse Rider
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:38 PM
At the barn where azeventer boards, there are corner tack lockers in most of the stalls Where the stalls are too small, there are lockers in a separate room.

It seems to be a handy set-up - everything's right there so that you can tack up your horse in the stall, and it's out of everyone's way. Doesn't seem to impinge on the usable space in the stall.

Perhaps she'll show up and give her take on it.

I have my horses at home now, and I keep the stuff that I use all the time in my trailer, because that's where I tack up the horses. Then I've got a couple tack lockers from a previous boarding situation that I use for overflow. Those are maybe 2 - 2 1/2 feet deep, 3 feet wide, and close to 6 feet tall. Mr. RAR put horizontal wooden boards in, and I padded them, and the lockers hold 2 saddles, a bunch of bridles, grooming supplies, boots... yada yada yada.

At my last boarding barn, we had a common room for saddles, with all of them out of racks. Bridles hung on the walls, and we each had room for a tack trunk. I didn't like that as much - harder to dig stuff out of the trunk, and the kids (HS girls) kept shifting the saddles around, even after I asked them not to.

I know a lot of places have common rooms for saddles, but the boarding barn would have to be pretty special for me to put up with that again.

But you have to take into consideration the fact that I am old & crotchety and don't like it when someone messes with my stuff :lol:

AM
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
I seem to be the only one at my boarding barn who doesn't think the barn should provide space for every piece of horse equipment I own. We each have our own tack locker with a saddle rack, two bridle racks, and two shelves. Most people have added additional plastic tubs or drawers and pantry racks to the door to hold bottles. And almost everyone has at least one and some have multiple trunks or garbage cans of blankets and other stuff in a storage area upstairs over the feedroom. I bring my out of season/extra stuff home and store it in an Ikea wardrobe in my basement.

Peggy
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:20 PM
The barn provides large lockers in front of the paddocks/pipe corrals which is where most of the non-training horses are. My trainer provides lockers in two separate rooms. Saddles, bridles, supplies, etc. are supposed to go there. Those lockers are smaller than the paddock lockers. There are also a few lockers, like mine, that are outside but more the size of the paddock lockers. I don't think I could fit all my stuff in one of the smaller ones, but I probably (OK, definitely) have more stuff than anyone else. So much stuff that the trainer borrows from me.

We are also allowed space for a trunk in the barn aisle. I try to segregate my stuff so it's mostly show stuff and long-term storage (like blankets) in the trunk. That way I'm not shuffling a bunch of stuff back and forth when I go to a show.

The photo is of my locker which is probably about 3' across and deep and 6' tall.

I wouldn't like to have my saddle and bridle out in most boarding situations.

2foals
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:22 PM
Jaslyn, I love to keep stuff out of the aisle! IME, if people can leave anything in the aisle they keep adding to it and it gets junky. Plus it makes the aisle harder to clean, and we sometimes drive the tractor/spreader down the aisle when cleaning stalls.

But, I also realize it is a PITA to get everything you need to groom and ride out of a tackroom. Also, the tackroom will be heated and air conditioned, so if people have to walk in and out of it fifty times to tack up, the door is going to end up open all the time. I figure if people just have their nice leather goods in a temperature/moisture controlled area, then the rest of the stuff can go in more conveniently located lockers.

Risk-Averse Rider, I do agree, I like the idea of people keeping their valuable saddles and bridles individually locked up. But I can only install so many lockers, and I think it would be a bit much to have lockers both inside and outside the tackroom. I actually do have a pretty special group of boarders--everyone is super-considerate. Anyway, it's certainly a consideration.

2foals
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you for the pic, Peggy!

Nothing wrong with having a lot of stuff, I've been known to collect a little (ahem) tack myself...:D

dghunter
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have a few complaints about our space so hopefully this helps you.

I wish we had two saddle racks. I'm in the process of switching disciplines to dressage but I still plan to jump some for fun and would like to be able to keep both saddles in there but they would have to be stacked on top of each other.
I wish there were bridle hooks so I could hang up a few more things.
I wish the 2nd rack (for boots and such) was closer to the front. They put it all the way in the back and it's hard for me to reach. The other rack is on the door which is perfect.
Overall, it's small but it works. I keep mostly just the brushes and tack and such in the locker. I store the rest of the stuff either on blanket bars or in the tack room of our trailer.
It works out okay but I just wish for those few extra things.

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:50 PM
Would love to see photos of the lockers in the corner of the stalls!

twofatponies
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:52 PM
Places I've boarded always had pretty small tack rooms. Each boarder got one saddle rack per horse (sometimes we stacked saddles!), and one trunk spot along the wall. Blanket rack on each stall.

We added one thing at current barn which is super handy - a little plastic basket on the front of each stall, which is great for stashing your flyspray or hoof oil, or any medications/ointments that need to be applied daily. I find that super useful. One woman also hangs a little cloth bag on her blanket rack, that she stores other miscellaneous stuff in. And we can keep bath supplies in the wash stall on the shelf, with our names on them.

I keep out-of-season and spare stuff at home in the basement (or in the trunk of the car! :D ) - including various tack I don't use, old stirrups, extra saddle pads, shipping boots, etc. Anything I don't need regularly.

Renn/aissance
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:39 AM
I far prefer having regular access to my tack trunk to having my equipment in a locker or cubby, and have had both. Current barn's tack rooms have cubbies on one wall (about the size of a tall gym locker) with room for tack trunks under and between a row of saddle and bridle racks. I think it's a great setup, although could give or take the cubbies.

stryder
Oct. 11, 2009, 02:01 PM
My BO is fairly accommodating, as long as people make at least a little effort to keep things neat. I have a standing saddle rack which holds my western and dressage saddles, and a metal cabinet to hold nearly everything else. It's about 3 ft wide and 6 ft. tall. Shelves inside for vet supplies, supplements, extra blankets and saddle pads, towels, etc. Bridles, halters. etc. hang on hooks inside. The cabinet can be locked, if I choose.

Not many trunks at our place because people don't show. Most people have a standing saddle rack and a 3- or 4-shelf metal bookcase to hold their other supplies.

Tack rooms are just off the grooming area. Nothing is kept in or near the stalls, although each stall door has a blanket bar.

Against all Odds
Oct. 11, 2009, 04:36 PM
Personally I don't like the idea of shared tack rooms for saddles and bridles. I would not feel comfortable leaving my tack out where anyone could see or "borrow" it because it was right there, and I've read plently of the threads about people's stuff that someone else is using and claiming as theirs. I'd also be afraid of how easily someone could scratch up my saddle even if just by knocking it by accident or something.

At my barn we have a common tack room but everyone has their own lockers, which are just the right size for keeping your normal stuff plus the seasonal extras. I generally have 2 saddles, 2 bridles, my grooming kit, some treats, a cooler (in the winter), horse's boots, and my riding stuff (helmet, gloves, boots, and half chaps). this is all I need on a daily basis and it is conveniently there, and then we are all allowed one plastic tupperware above the lockers, which usually holds poultice, green cool, a set of wraps, extra saddle pads, and some basic medical supplies. This keeps the barn looking neat and presentable, and also makes people less likely to "borrow" things when they're shut away in their own place. (the lockers were also really well done, nice hardwood with nameplates of all the horses) so it looks really sharp. Everything else stays at home, which I prefer because it doesn't get used all the time to begin with so it just gets in the way.

Risk-Averse Rider
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:08 PM
Here's a photo (a bit small, but that's what's on the web site) of the locker in the corner of the stall:
http://www.carefreefarms.net/images/214_Tack_Locker.JPG

And here's one with nothing in it:
http://www.carefreefarms.net/images/207_Tack_Lockers.3.07.jpg

kellyb
Oct. 11, 2009, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't want to have one giant tackroom either. Whether on purpose or accident, things almost always go missing when left out.

We have lockers that are about 3' wide, 4' tall and 3' deep. It's a good amount of room for a saddle/bridles/etc. I have some storage thingies from Lowe's on the inside of my door to keep bottles clean and organized. There is also room on top of your locker - I've got a large tupperware tub with all of my winter blankets in it.

Almost everyone has a tack trunk outside their stall, myself included. I use it for things I need daily (grooming, polo wraps, etc).

That's a fair amount of room for me, I still have two closets full of stuff at home, but those are items that are either back-ups, or things I very very seldom use (and need to sell!)

Fairview Horse Center
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:29 PM
Here's a photo (a bit small, but that's what's on the web site) of the locker in the corner of the stall:

Thanks! They have a lot of room. A nice option if the stall is big enough, and other storage room is minimal.

TheJenners
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:06 PM
I LOVE the corner of the stall lockers. Awesome little tidbit to stash away if I ever build a barn or renovate one.

I personally am under the impression that a barn is under no obligation to store a boarder's things. Reasonable, daily stuff such as necessary brushes (curry, dandy, soft brush, hoof pick, fly spray), a spot for tack, and maybe a place to hang a blanket. Seriously, more than that??? Sheesh. Right now I keep my mare at my BF's place. It's an OLD barn and was not set up for much more than housing and feeding animals (ie no storage other than upstairs hay loft). I have a folding saddle rack for my second saddle (primary saddle doesn't live outside) with pads, girth, etc. Under that I store clipper box, full chaps folded, a towel and a dandy I use only for washing blankets, boots, etc. Bell boots are strapped to the saddle rack. I hung a four hook bridle hanger for my bridle, martingale, halter and lead, extra bit. My necessary daily brushes are in an 8-quart bucket by her stall and my helmet, gloves and net are set on top of the bucket. Fly spray is there as well. One blanket in a bag right now is stored in the loft. My two feed cans are on the landing to the loft, in a corner.

Lucassb
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:50 PM
My current barn has lockers about the size you describe. They were done by by a fancy cabinetmaker type and are very pretty.

I have to say they are a real PITA to use, and I hate them. Ours have two bridle hooks and a saddle rack, with just enough room to stick a grooming box underneath the saddle, and a couple of adjustable shelves on the side for smaller stuff - tack cleaning supplies, helmet, gloves, a stick etc. It is a challenge to have to also store frequently used stuff like scrims, coolers, etc - they have to be piled on top of the saddle, which means you are constantly moving them around every time you take your saddle out to use it, or put it back. And don't even get me started about sweaty saddle pads in the warmer months....

However, they do keep everyone's stuff fairly organized and there isn't much "borrowing" which is a plus, I guess.

I am leaving that barn shortly and frankly one of the things I am really looking forward to is having access to my trunk again. I understand that not everyone has an aisle that is wide enough to accommodate trunks in front of the stalls, but to me... that's the ideal. And my favorite setup was in a closed shedrow barn... one wall of stalls, an aisle, and then just a regular wall opposite the stalls. All the trunks went on that wall opposite the horse's stall, grooming boxes were hung above them, and a blanket rack was on the wall next to the trunk. Everything you could possibly need was right there, and yet it was all neatly contained. Perfect!

2foals
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:56 AM

So the locker is accessed from inside the stall? How is it done so that the horses don't gnaw on the cabinetry? This is very interesting!

Yeah, I see the utility of allowing trunks in front of each stall in the aisle, but since I feel like that looks cluttered, I think I'm going to do recessed lockers along part of the aisleway wall.

I'm hearing that a lot of people don't want their saddles stored in a communal tackroom. But, wouldn't you prefer that your nice leather goods were stored in a climate controlled area? Should I put more lockers in inside the communal tackroom? I just hear the $$$ adding up for all the cabinetry! What SHOULD go in a communal tackroom, if not tack? If you had to choose, would you sacrifice having a climate controlled area to put your tack in order to keep your saddle/bridle locked up separately?

Secretly I have always loved the look of show barn tackrooms with their walls of saddles and bridles on display...

TheJenners, you would never survive my clientele!!!:winkgrin: I have a few horses here that have much more extensive and expensive wardrobes than myself. :lol:

I'm loving all the input, thank you guys so much. I don't want to derail my own thread, but just as an aside, do any of you guys own carts? Any thoughts on how a boarding barn should handle cart and harness storage?

gottagrey
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:00 AM
At the barn I'm at - everyone has a saddle rack and then across the wall(s) of the tack room is a bridle rack - nothing fancy, it's simple wood like blocks attached to a board for the bridles. We each have space for our trunks. The one thing that the owner does which is a great idea and cuts down on clutter - she bills us about $100 twice a year for supplies - leather cleaner/condition, shampoo, show sheen, fly spray, brushes, hoofpicks etc. So none of us need to ever go out and purchase any of those types of supplies - as a result I don't have nearly the junk that I used to in my trunk. At my old barn I had 3 trunks/storage things (that tack room was huge and plenty of room) amazing how little I even go into my trunk. The barn is a small h/t training barn - about 18 stalls. I wouldn't suggest it for a large barn. It's voluntary - she doesn't make anyone contribute but all but one of us does. This might be something for you to contemplate. On the flip side, I visited a friends new barn - they built lockers for everyone and used inexpensive plastic buckets (Like paint) that they got at the hardware store for a couple of dollars - mounted them on the wall and poof instant. The round containers make perfect saddle racks, and the bucket part makes for a great storage bin.

Oh my barn also has a big bin for everyone's blankets which is great - turnouts - not dress/stable sheets or coolers. Which also keeps down the need for more trunks

TheJenners
Oct. 12, 2009, 01:27 AM
TheJenners, you would never survive my clientele!!!:winkgrin: I have a few horses here that have much more extensive and expensive wardrobes than myself. :lol:

<chuckle> I'd believe it. I was a BM for several years in addition to a hard-nose, my-way-or-the-highway BO for a couple years. I realized I'm too anal-retentive about "stuff" to do that ever again, and I think people are generally too messy, whiney and sticky-fingered to deal with on that level. Makes me a fair boarder though: I store my extras in the horse trailer or my garage, my tack is always put away tight, my horses were clean/trimmed/vetted and I always swept/coiled hoses/hung halters, bridles, manure forks/checked gates and doors, etc when I left. Am I fussy? Sure as heck am. But frankly, if I can do so can everyone else.

And that's why I'm not a BO anymore. ;) :lol:

I gotta admit, I think hanging the buckets for saddle racks and storage has to be the AWESOMEST idea I've ever heard! Paint the bucket brown or black and won't even look too chintsy.

Peggy
Oct. 12, 2009, 02:08 AM
Climate extremes not a major issue at my barn, given that it's in Southern California, so no major benefit for my tack to live in a climate-controlled tackroom. Do agree that having the saddles and bridles all out and neatly displayed does look really cool. And there are certainly days when I would like hanging out in some AC while at the barn.

I am actually grateful that even my locker is out of the room with the other ones as people tend to store horse treats in there and aren't very careful about packaging. B/w that and the fact that it's next to the feed area, there is a rather large (both quantity and individual size) rat problem. I control the environment in my little space and have no rodents.

I am sure that any number of people are extremely grateful that I don't drive and therefore have even more stuff with which to clutter the barn:lol:.

I did a clinic at a barn where they had lockers built into the stalls (so no bulges in the aisle) but were accessed from the outside. I can't really remember the configuration but think that they were set up so they took a little square out of one corner of the horse's stall.

kellyb
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm hearing that a lot of people don't want their saddles stored in a communal tackroom. But, wouldn't you prefer that your nice leather goods were stored in a climate controlled area? Should I put more lockers in inside the communal tackroom? I just hear the $$$ adding up for all the cabinetry! What SHOULD go in a communal tackroom, if not tack? If you had to choose, would you sacrifice having a climate controlled area to put your tack in order to keep your saddle/bridle locked up separately?

Unless it was a super small barn where everyone knew and trusted each other VERY well, I would prefer separate lockable storage to a climate controlled area.

I have had so many bad experiences with people borrowing tack, it makes me extremely anal about keeping my things locked up. After my 20 yr old gorgeous western show saddle incurred two giant scratches on the fender from someone using it to break a freaking 2 year old, that was the final straw. I took my saddles and expensive stuff home every DAY and brought it back out to use it, and looked for another barn ASAP.

HollysHobbies
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:50 AM
We have cubbies--one per horse with enough room for saddle, bridle, and the BASICS. We are able to leave our trailers there, and all additional storage goes in the trailer.

CarolinaGirl
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:07 PM
Where does everyone keep their blankets? We have a small tack room in our barn, but no where for blankets... we tend to pile them up on any empty available saddle racks. Last year it wasn't that bad as only one horse was getting blanketed.. but this year there will be two in our tack room getting blanketed. It really isn't an option to hang them in the barn isle as the barn owners dogs tend to chew on anything left out. So far this includes chewing a hole in a new $90 pair of open front boots left UP on the stall bars to dry and then owner randomly placed dogs in stall for the night. Also an expensive mattes saddle pad left on the blanket rack outside a stall to dry.. and no the barn owner will not replace/pay for said items as she doesn't feel it's her responsibility. I'm pretty sure I'm SOL and am looking at other barn options lol. I've got a nice blanket rack that I can hang somewhere... but anywhere the dogs can't reach I can't reach lol.

Linny
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
My saddle was stolen recently so I may be touchy about it, but after many years, I guess I'm all in favor of a lockable space. It should be big enough for saddle(s) and bridles and at least basics for grooming and horse care (bathing stuff, boots) and riding stuff like pads, helmet(s) etc.
If I were designing a perfect setup, the locker would be built into the stall or somehow right near it.
I don't expect the barn to provide space for evrything darned horse related item I've collected but it is nice to have a place for the items you use the most. Here in the cold northeast, it's nice to have some blanket storage space during warm months but if not, I'm not offended.
Where I ride, the barn's own horses are often part leased, meaning that there may be 10 riders sharing 5 horses. It's important to also decide who "gets space" and who doesn't. Lesson students at most barns have to carry in their gear, but what about when they start to part lease a schoolie?

bambam
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:51 PM
Set up at my current barn is a tack room with floor to ceiling cubbies 2-3 feet wide (1 for each stall) and each has 2 saddle racks and a couple of shelves. Bridle are hung on the opposite wall of the cubbies- for the most part I think we each have 2 bridle racks. There is also a blanket bar on the stall doors, a small wire basket hanging on each stall door for little things and space to put trunks and other crap in the hayloft area of another building. Love all the space, but realize it is a bonus. The open cubbies work because we are a small number of boarders and a good group of people- no problems with disappearing stuff in 3 years. Non-locking storage space would never have worked at the 2 larger boarding barns I was at before- people managed to "borrow" stuff even with locks there.

mickeydoodle
Oct. 12, 2009, 06:04 PM
Our tack room on the boarder's end of the barn has 7 cabinets, each with two saddle racks and a high shelf. Most of us have put the rolly plastic stacks of drawers under the saddles to hold stuff, and use "over the door" hooks inside and out to hang things. the cupboard has two doors on the front, that meet in the middle, and you put a lock on the closure device. The who thing is about 30"x36" and about 6feet tall. They were made fairly inexpensively out of plain wood and fiberboard, then painted. It is not climate controlled, that would be nice, but I really like having a lock.

sisu27
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:47 PM
I am at a facility right now that has no storage and I hate it. I don't expect to have all my years of junk at the barn but it would be nice to not have to keep my locker, my trunk, all my blankets but one, my shipping stuff...in my garage. I am not allowed to have a folding saddle stand. There is NO WHERE to clean your saddle....I guess I am the only one who cleans their tack? The next barn I move to will not have this problem. I am in the process of turning part of my laundry room into my own, at home tack room just so I can keep everything clean, organized and in one spot.

There is a boarding facility near by that has lockers that are full (small) closet sized. The door is a normal interior house door. They are all lined up and numbered and it looks so clean and tidy. Slightly far away from the grooming stalls but still a great idea.

I like my tack locked up and in one place, a large locker is great. I think having a blanket room is a very nice thing to have. Even one of those multiple blanket hanging bars would be nice. I don't want to leave anything in the aisle or on my stall front except a halter and a lead. Not all boarders want to be messy but some facilities make it very hard not to be.

Most barns don't seem to be designed with storage in mind which is odd because horses seem to need a lot of "stuff".

dghunter
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:30 PM
I would sacrifice climate control to have my stuff locked up. I'll never forget when an old instructor "borrowed" my brand new saddle because she didn't have any that fit right. :no:

Pony Soprano
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:23 PM
Risk-averse - Even though I hate having to tack a horse in the stall, I love the lockers in the corner. What kind of material are they made out of that keeps them from getting destroyed? Are the stalls larger than 12 X12? It seems like that is perfect for days when half the barn is trying to get ready at once.

2foals- are you running an open boarding barn or a show barn where the trunks and other things match? Alot of times when everything matches it doesn't seem so bad seeing it in the aisle i.e. All the same blankets on the stall door. I personally like the idea of the climate controlled tack room. In the summer tack that is not cleaned daily in fl mildews and bugs also have access if the room is not sealed. I have a very nice show tack room but keep my personal tack in my house because of this reason.

I am surprised at how many people have multiple saddles. I could see storing those if there are extra racks available, but not if they are running short. I typically have about ten boarders and in over twenty years have never had a
problem with tack being borrowed or taken, flyspray on the other hand is a whole different matter :confused:

CenterStage123
Oct. 12, 2009, 10:49 PM
WOW! You guys expect a lot of room!:eek: At my barn we have about 45 horses. There are two tack rooms, one at each end of the barn. In each tack room there is one saddle rack and one bridle rack per stall. You can have one truck that is in the tack room. Even with the amount of people, stuff does not get taken, and the bridle and saddle racks are out in the open and noone locks thier trunk. The tack rooms do lock though. Each stall has a blanket bag.

bambam
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:12 AM
I am surprised at how many people have multiple saddles. I could see storing those if there are extra racks available, but not if they are running short.
I event and so need at least 2 saddles and they both get used every week- yes, I could bring them back and forth each day if there were no room but that is hugely inconvenient. If there is enough room above a saddle rack to stack 2 on 1 rack, that would be fine- not ideal, but fine.
Right now the same jumping and dressage saddle fit both horses but that has not been the case in the past and so I have had as many as 3 or 4 saddles that were being used regularly and not just collecting dust.

As for climate control- right now we have no ac but do have heat in the winter. AC would be nice (especially since this summer I had issues with mold on my tack for the first time) but is not that important. Heat is more important but just as a place for people to warm up during the really cold months not necessarily for my tack :). The door to our tack room gets propped open a lot in the warm weather but not in the winter and I think heat loss is minimal from people going in and out - but we have a small number of boarders.

analise
Oct. 13, 2009, 02:48 PM
The barn I'm at right now doesn't allow trunks in front of stalls, but it really isn't wide enough (especially since the barn is mostly drafts) for that to work and the stalls are on the "main aisle" that leads to the arena and what with people tending to tack up in the aisle (as opposed to on the hitching post outside or inside of a stall. I think some people feel too closed in doing it in the stalls or don't realize it would be okay to do it there) there really isn't any room for boarders to keep their tack trunks in the aisle. And, actually, there's only one boarder that I know of that does have a trunk. She keeps it on the opposite aisle where all the tack is stored.

For a while, I was keeping my saddle on one of the saddle racks in the tack area but I've pretty much stopped doing that and now keep all my stuff either in the trunk of my car (stuff that isn't going to be overly affected by temperature extremes) and my saddle and bridle in the house and just have to remember to take it with me when I head to the barn. Not ideal, but it works for me.

The barn I used to go to allowed boarders to keep a trunk in front of their stalls and also had lockers (basically very large cabinets that I imagine could hold a saddle or two and a few other things) but I don't think they had enough lockers for every boarder so those were coveted. I wasn't actually boarding there (didn't have a horse yet) so I don't really know all the details.

All that said, if I had a choice between having my own space to keep my stuff and an open tack room, I'd take the former choice. Even though everybody at my current barn is pretty good about not making off with stuff or "borrowing" things or being careful with stuff or whatever, I've shown up there a few times having to track down what happened to a piece of tack I left there. I'm still not entirely sure where my horse's body brush went, LOL, but I think that one was more my fault than anyone else's. ;)

lionstigersbears
Oct. 13, 2009, 03:47 PM
The first barn I kept my horse at had a tack room with an oversized locker for everyone (think about 6 ft tall x 2 ft wide) that had a saddle rack or two, two bridle hooks, two shelves and lots of space... mine was always a MESS (I was 12-14 though to be fair) and so were several other peoples, but the doors closed and no one knew.

The next barn had a tack room with a wall of saddle racks, every boarder was supposedly allotted 2 but there were less saddle racks than there were horses so there were lots of double and triple stacked saddles - not ideal. In that tack room there were roomy lockers think (3 ft tall x 2 ft wide) that had bridle racks. Some had shelves. It was an old barn and there were 'good' lockers so everyone fought over them ;) and there was a lot of moving around when a rider left and bequeathed their locker to you. Since I only had one saddle / not too much gear it was not an issue, but I had friends with loads of stuff that had 2 lockers.

Final barn had a tack room where on the walls there were two saddle racks above each other, two bride hooks next to the them and every boarder got the two saddle racks/bridle hooks and the space below them. Some people had trunks which meant everyone's space shifted slightly (as they were wider than 'allotted' space), but I just invested in some plastic storage drawers from wal-mart and kept all my stuff in them. It was probably the most organized my stuff ever was (labeled all the drawers, couldn't just dump everything in a locker and close the door) and was a mostly older adult barn (excepting me a few other teens) that didn't do lessons and there was never any problem with people 'borrowing' things.

Each barn had a blanket rail on the stall doors, which was fine.

None of the barns allowed trunks in the aisle. If I had to pick which system I liked the best... it was probably that of the last barn, but I *really* loved that barn and it was quiet enough/everyone knew each other enough that security was never an issue. I think that if my stuff had been out in the open at the first barn, a very busy lesson barn (which had a separate tack room for lesson horse stuff - in the feed room, but boarder lockers were in the lounge/indoor viewing area so everyone was in there all the time) it would have been 'borrowed' and I would not have felt secure about leaving it. Plus I always seemed to get 'bad' lockers, ones on the bottom or in a corner/near a post (lol) and it could be very frustrating to try to cram all your stuff in there. I really liked having my stuff separated into drawers rather than having to dig through a locker or trunk to find things as well, but maybe a combination of lockers / space for trunks or drawers :) would be the best. I would say it really depends on how many boarders/what type of boarders you have and the environment of the barn. Also, hated having to put 'wet' things in a locker (sponges, saddle pads in the summer, etc) as it created an environment for mold and was smelly...

TrotTrotPumpkn
Oct. 13, 2009, 04:04 PM
Per horse boarded I ideally like two saddle racks and two bridle racks. I use both my saddles frequently (dressage/jumping). One trunk stored wherever BO prefers. We hang blankets in the barn on giant/high hooks. At other places I've seen them on the stall door, but our seem to stay less dusty this way.

Because of our climate I prefer a climate controlled tack room to lockers. In the winter everything freezes and it gets very humid in the summer, so dehumidifier is needed to protect leather.

One bad thing about lockers can be the smell--stinky wet saddle pads.

Species_8472
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:56 AM
Expand to fill a vacuum.

poltroon
Oct. 14, 2009, 04:14 AM
Don't forget about storing feed supplement items, somewhere.

I've had the locker in the corner of the stall, and I'm not a fan. They take space away from the horse and I don't like tacking in a stall. It makes it extremely inconvenient to clean tack, or to load/unload for shows.

With blanket racks on stalls, make sure they're out of mouth range for both the horse in question and his neighbor.

SarahandSam
Oct. 14, 2009, 07:23 AM
Storage at my previous barn was in one of three boarder tack rooms. Since I was one of the longest boarders there, I had prime real estate, with two saddle racks, about 4 bridle racks, a corner for my trunk and a Rubbermaid cupboard on the wall where I put first aid, fly spray, etc. Also, out in the aisle, each stall had a small locker built onto the wall opposite the stall (there was only one row of stalls on the aisle, opposite was the wall of the indoor). The locker had a fold-down saddle rack, and a small shelf--just big enough to keep little things like a spare halter, fly spray, fly mask, etc.

My current barn only has one tack room, so it's a bit crowded right now. I have two saddle racks and four bridle racks and prime real estate again, but I may have to be courteous and give up a bridle rack or two to a new boarder. d; There are shelves along the top of the wall, so that's good for storing helmets, first aid, tack cleaning stuff, and things I don't use often. I stick my tack trunk under my main saddle rack.

I turned a storage closet in my attic into an extra tack room for me though... it's where I put all my horsey clothes and overflow horse stuff from the barn. (:

curlykarot
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:09 AM
1st barn: very large lesson/boarding barn. Had tack lockers that locked with a combo lock. Good system because there were a lot of kids that would take whatever was left out in the open. Each locker was shared by 2 boarders, 2 saddle racks, 2-4 bridle racks. I would say they were 6ft tall, 3ft wide? Can't remember but enough room to put wire baskets on either side of the saddle and not touch the saddle. Blanket bars were on each stall.

2nd barn: Shared tack room for all boarders. I have 1 saddle rack and 1 bridle rack. Some people have more. It depends on what is available and how much stuff you have. We each have a box with a lid (some are shared) that are maybe 3x3. They are built in and wooden and make a great seat! Blanket bars are on each stall. Tack room door locks.

2foals
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:13 AM
It's really great to read through all the replies. It's interesting that a few people brought up the issue of fairness--I also have been thinking about that lately--I don't want to have one of those barns where people feel like they have to "jockey" for storage space, or where pushier people take more space

Another side question:
What's the best way to handle dirty laundry storage? Where do you store stuff that just has to dry out (wet saddlepads) or dirty stuff that is waiting to go home to be washed? Right now I have sawhorses set up, but it doesn't work that well b/c people seem to forget their stuff and leave it there forever or use it for storage. Would it be unreasonable to expect people to store their laundry in their lockers?

SmartAlex
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:19 AM
I'd love to know how people handle their dirty laundry! I hate to have to deal with towels and saddle pads until I have a full load. Luckily, I board at my mother's barn. If I leave my towels and pads hanging to dry, she gather's them up and does my laundry...because she's my Mom ;) However, I'm pushing forty, and if I could finally figure out how to handle my horse laundry in a more adult way, I'd do it :D

Daydream Believer
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:23 AM
Our barn does not have lockers for the boarders but I wish we did...I just have no where to put them without sacrificing a stall permanently. We do have a 12 x 10 tack room with lots of racks and hooks and shelves for grooming stuff. I also allow trunks in the aisles by the stalls, as our aisle is a wide 16 ft, or in the tack room as possible. One boarder is storing stuff in an empty stall for now as well and that's OK as long as I have space for it. We also allow trailers to parked here so folks can store equipment in their trailers also. We have several saddle racks in the aisle and cross ties so folks can carry the saddle down to the grooming area for tacking up. So far no complaints from anyone and we do our best to accommodate within reason.

bambam
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:03 PM
Another side question:
What's the best way to handle dirty laundry storage? Where do you store stuff that just has to dry out (wet saddlepads) or dirty stuff that is waiting to go home to be washed? Right now I have sawhorses set up, but it doesn't work that well b/c people seem to forget their stuff and leave it there forever or use it for storage. Would it be unreasonable to expect people to store their laundry in their lockers?
Not unreasonable.
Most folks at my barn hang their wet saddle pads on their blanket bar or over their saddle on the racks. Once my stuff is dirty and needs to be washed, I just take my dirty laundry home and it sits on the dryer until I have a load. I do not know what other people at the barn do but it looks like if it cannot hang on the blanket bar (if it is a saddle pad) or fit in your cubby, it goes home.

Petstorejunkie
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:43 PM
A tack locker the size of a porta potty per boarder i think is generous and would keep me like this :D They'd make me REALLY happy if each tack locker was individual and lockable.
I would never expect for a barn to do beyond that space and support my tack store addiction.

scribbles
Oct. 14, 2009, 01:42 PM
Not unreasonable.
Most folks at my barn hang their wet saddle pads on their blanket bar or over their saddle on the racks. Once my stuff is dirty and needs to be washed, I just take my dirty laundry home and it sits on the dryer until I have a load. I do not know what other people at the barn do but it looks like if it cannot hang on the blanket bar (if it is a saddle pad) or fit in your cubby, it goes home.

We have a washer/dryer at the barn where I board, if you have a full load, you use your own detergent. There are racks outside the wash rack where wet saddlepads can hang. Wet pads are not allowed in the tack room, as we are in the SOUTH and mold is an issue even in a moderatly climate controlled tackroom :D

trubandloki
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:07 PM
Another side question:

I never considered it the barn owners problem to have to deal with my dirty laundry.

A wet saddle pad that is just in need of drying gets draped over the saddle or hung on a blanket bar.
Anything that is truly dirty and need of cleaning gets taken home and dealt with.
I personally do not wait until I have a full load to wash horse stuff. I see no reason to let it stink up my house. With my front loader machine I toss in what needs to be washed and that is it.