PDA

View Full Version : A brief moment in my happy life . . . where Fenway takes me to see the sunset.

didgery
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:40 PM
Just wanted to share a brief description of my last trail ride, as I have way too much happiness not to share.

I took Fen out in the early evening, decked out in reflective gear, and let him choose the trail for me. We went up Lyman hill (in the Cascade foothills, WA) and took a right in a new spot where I'd never explored. Ten minutes down the trail we came upon an incredible scenic vista of unparalleled majesty - a view across two counties; the rolling blue hills of Whatcom County, the dusky farmland of the Skagit Valley, and beyond the fiery sunset over the San Juan Islands. It was a remarkable sunset, all pink and orange and aquamarine, and to find myself taking it in from muleback a mere twenty minute ride from my own home really filled me with joy.

My husband and I found our little farm in the south fork valley purely by chance, and we had no idea how many gorgeous trails, fabulous neighbors and, it appears, scenic vistas we would discover here. Every time I think my neighborhood and my mule have shown me all of their tricks, one or the other surprises me with some new delight. I love this place, and Fenway is a fabulous tour guide!

Fenway brought me safely home by moonlight, by the way, proving that I am not entirely crazy to think that I can keep riding after work even during the season of long darkness. He proves himself again with every ride, and I love him more each day.

And yes, this the same Fen of the long-ago "thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's mule" thread. I'm darn glad I coveted him then, and very grateful that he's mine today!

unicorndreams21
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
That's fantastic!! Would love to see pics of this majestic scene! Kudos to your Fenway!

JackSprats Mom
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:32 PM
I'm jealous!!

I ride up to the lookout at Victoria which overlooks Skagit and the islands and its stunning enough just on a nice day let alone on an evening like you describe!:)

Zu Zu
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:58 PM
Sounds wonderful ~ thanks for sharing !!!

Simbalism
Oct. 14, 2009, 12:21 AM
Thank you for sharing your wonderful ride.

ayrabz
Oct. 24, 2009, 02:46 PM
'safely home by moonlight'....has an ending, 'ring' to it, that speaks volumes ...after such a beautiful description of enjoying the vistas, and enjoying the horse. I love these retellings of such rides. Thanks so much for sharing.

tpup
Oct. 24, 2009, 05:12 PM
Sounds soooo nice...I want to see pics next time! :)