PDA

View Full Version : New horse! Fingerlakes Finest

EventingJ
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:36 AM
After I lost my horse Dexter last December 31st (he broke his pastern romping in the field somehow...) I bought a horse who was just not going to be sound enough to event (needed bute fulltime). I went back to the "drawing board" and have now (well almost purchased her! I haven't officially handed over the check yet! but I'm excited so I have to share) purchased a mare "The Jolly" who was listed on FL trainer board. Shes done not much in a couple years other then have a foal, but she is so, so smart - and so far it has been a joy to work with her

http://www.pedigreequery.com/the+jolly

This was taken the second or third day of her lunging career. She did.not.lunge. at first, but after one session of teaching her it was like shes done it every day of her life..

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37257414&l=a4a1dfc392&id=16105534

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=37257413&l=bec0bf56a4&id=16105534

hopefully fb pics will work, if not ill load some to photobucket :)

Flying Hippotamus
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
I got one from there last year. She couldn't lunge either but she could even walk to the right. I was always told at the track they gallop to the left but trot to the right. Hard to beleive with my mare. she didn't even know the right existed. Couldn't even lead her from that side.

Good luck with yours, I haven't been disappointed yet. Oh and don't forget you can look up her race videos. I found my mare's. Fun to watch.

JER
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
Ooh -- she's out of a Star de Naskra mare.

That's a good line for jumping/eventing. :)

Calico
Oct. 10, 2009, 02:54 PM
She's beautiful!

cutemudhorse
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:30 PM
Congratulations! She is beautiful!!

foundationmare
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:24 PM
Jannah knows how happy I am about her decision to purchase Jolly. I couldn't be happier for Jannah and Jolly (geez, isn't that perfect????).

I've been with Jolly since she came off the farm as a 2 y.o. and loved her from the get-go. She gave me a beautiful yearling filly who is a carbon copy of her mama. Same look, same temperament...all good stuff. Of the hundreds of TBs I've worked with over the years, I knew that Jolly should not slip through my fingers. Now, her legacy includes her single offspring, my beautiful yearling filly, and now her budding career as an eventer with Jannah. Sometimes the planets align and all is well with the world! I'm doing a happy dance as I write this!

Gry2Yng
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:24 AM
She is beautiful. Good luck.

FWIW, to the PP, horses at the track work both to the left and to the right. They also use both leads while racing. Right lead on the straight and left on the turns. They tend to learn their lead changes very easily if you keep them forward. Years after being off the track my OTTB remembered his "racing leads" at his first steeplechase.

Flying Hippotamus
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:36 PM
She is beautiful. Good luck.

FWIW, to the PP, horses at the track work both to the left and to the right. They also use both leads while racing. Right lead on the straight and left on the turns. They tend to learn their lead changes very easily if you keep them forward. Years after being off the track my OTTB remembered his "racing leads" at his first steeplechase.

I had heard this awhile ago and didn't know if it was true. My mare swaps leads whenever she feels like it so that makes sense. But you would think she would be straighter on the right lead if that was how she went straight. But in general going to the right at any gait was very difficult for her.

scubed
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:19 AM
My boy is from FingerLakes and he is a superstar:

http://www.pedigreequery.com/final+resolution

I usuallly lunge my horses more, but he is so quiet (to the point of lazy), that I just do lots of hill work instead, but he lunges very well

NeverTime
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:39 AM
Just here to second that scubed's FingerLakes boy is both a sweetie and a star! You guys are going to have so much fun together!!!

Ajierene
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:53 AM
I had heard this awhile ago and didn't know if it was true. My mare swaps leads whenever she feels like it so that makes sense. But you would think she would be straighter on the right lead if that was how she went straight. But in general going to the right at any gait was very difficult for her.

Some of how a horse moves depends on exactly how they were exercised. At the track, horses may go differently than the track in someone's 'backyard'. As an example, I exercised two horses for a guy for a few months because no one else would work with this horses' owner. The guy was not very well trained in the horse racing industry and I made up the exercises. I was not trained in how to exercise a racing horse, either, only had my personal cross country experience to go on.

The only thing that I really took from him was to always go to the left around the exercise track. Other than that, so much trot, so much canter, so much gallop, etc. Always to the left......

So, while the track and more professional facilities may do things a certain way, tracks such as the one we used, along with some other 'backyard' racing horses, may do things differently.