PDA

View Full Version : Anyone clinic with Lucinda Green?

Eventer55
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:13 AM
The title says it all. . . did you like her style, what should one prepare for, Would you do it again?

eventerwannabe
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:51 AM
No, but I'd like to:D. After watching her clinics on horse and country I would love to find a way to make it to one next year.

HER
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:56 AM
I haven't but I know alot of people who have and they just RAVED about her an her teaching style. I'm seriously planning on trying to get into her clinic next spring in my area.
Helen

Viva
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
I've ridden with her twice, most recently in June. I came in with a novice horse and left with a training horse. She's great at building confidence for both horse and rider, and emphasizes safe xc position. She doesn't pussyfoot around and she expects 100% attention and effort. If your round sucked, she's going to tell you so, and she'll make you get it right. I left feeling like a million bucks but she's not for the thin-skinned.

Eventer55
Oct. 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
She's giving a clinic 15 minutes from my house next Spring. You can make me cry, but it gets harder every year, so I'll be ok.

RunForIt
Oct. 10, 2009, 02:41 PM
I've ridden with her twice, most recently in June. I came in with a novice horse and left with a training horse. She's great at building confidence for both horse and rider, and emphasizes safe xc position. She doesn't pussyfoot around and she expects 100% attention and effort. If your round sucked, she's going to tell you so, and she'll make you get it right. I left feeling like a million bucks but she's not for the thin-skinned.

ditto - I left smarter each time for horses and for life. Lucinda is bottom line: an INTELLIGENT teacher. she understands the "BIG PICTURE" but can take that big picture apart in a nano second for an individual rider/horse combo and teach what THAT person needs...GO

Late
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:29 PM

going to quote this yet again because it sums up Lucinda so well. I've clinic'd with her 3 or 4 times and she does a great job of challenging the rider to let the horse do the thinking and learn the footwork.

She works on a lot of accuracy as well - everyone does skinnies, arrowheads, small corners (of course, this is all the arena work with very small fences) and at the end of your line, you come down and halt.

frugalannie
Oct. 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
You may want to do a quick search. Many of us have raved about Lucinda's clinics on several threads.

Bottom line: Go. Ride. Learn. And watch other groups if you possibly can.

She is fabulous.

scribbles
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:33 PM
I have been to one of her clinics and loved it, did so well on the SJ day they bumped me up a level for XC (a little frustrating for me, but I learned a ton!-- had some significant stops, horse was a little "ditchy" then, wasn't after the clinic tho!)

EiRide
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:09 PM
She's great, won't baby you or the horse, tells it like it is, very good at helping you develop confidence and skills. Not mean, not a flatterer.

I'd go again in heartbeat.

oldenmare
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:23 PM
I went with a friend last year - I was the videographer of her rides and had plenty of time to watch the rest of the group ride.

She is resourceful, insightful, honest and funny (I do so need a sense of humor to stay tuned in!). Clear explanations of what she was asking the rider/horse to try and why. She was tuned into each horserider combo - at least 6 in the group - and was able to give each rider the time and attention to assist in making real progress during the session.

Although my friend has been sidelined with an injury since just after the clinic, I have had the opportunity over the past 18 months to watch one of the rider's as she's brought her young horse along - the difference in both has been most impressive - and I saw where the changes started at that clinic. True growth and development in the subsequent training is, I think, the best test of a clinician's worth.

I learned a lot from her - and I'm a dressage person moving over to the "dark" side. ;) Thought she was one of the best clinicians I'd ever experienced - along the lines of Linda Zang and Kyra Kyrklund (huge compliment from moi!).

Well worth the experience - riding or auditing.

Hilary
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:09 AM
I've ridden with her several times. She has so much exeperience with so many kinds of horses and riders she's always got something useful for people. She has helped me immensely with my tricky, fussy mare - from giving me permission to yank her teeth out when she bucked (she's smart, she needs to understand that behaviour is not comfortable and she'll stop - and she did!) to really helping me drastically change my position to something my mare loves, and is pretty different from any other horse I've ever had. And telling me WHY it's important to ride her like that - why she likes it so much, helped me get my job done.

She didn't like my older, set in his ways gelding as much, so I didn't get as much out of that clinic as I have with my mare. I think she thought he was a little scary.

She's really positive - even when she's not happy with something you've done. She gets mad only when you really do something dangerous.

Eventer55
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:13 AM
I've ridden with her several times. She has so much exeperience with so many kinds of horses and riders she's always got something useful for people. She has helped me immensely with my tricky, fussy mare - from giving me permission to yank her teeth out when she bucked (she's smart, she needs to understand that behaviour is not comfortable and she'll stop - and she did!) to really helping me drastically change my position to something my mare loves, and is pretty different from any other horse I've ever had. And telling me WHY it's important to ride her like that - why she likes it so much, helped me get my job done.

She didn't like my older, set in his ways gelding as much, so I didn't get as much out of that clinic as I have with my mare. I think she thought he was a little scary.

She's really positive - even when she's not happy with something you've done. She gets mad only when you really do something dangerous.

Are you me????:lol::lol::lol:

ottb
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:04 AM
and will be riding with her in a few days. Agree with what others have said, she's very perceptive about both horse and rider. And both will be much improved afterwards. I love the fact that she doesn't sugar caot anything, and she tells it like it is.

VWBug
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:40 PM
Add me to the fan club please. She'll tell you to be effective, not pretty, in the saddle and give you all the tools you need to be a safer rider. She'll sharpen you and your horse up on stadium day and get both of you thinking on your feet, then you get to have fun applying what you learned to xc fences. She is incredibly insightful, witty and straight-forward. Just come open to learn and try new things. A sense of humor helps. She did not appreciate someone in our group who was in a poopy-diaper mood.

My favorite moment was when my horse did a crazy leap over a jump and I became airborne, but still moving forward. We traveled through space together, me right over the horse, and when he landed I slid right back in the saddle! I fist pumped the air I was so happy not to have eaten dirt and Lucinda shouted, 'Now THAT'S an eventer!"

Regal Grace
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:08 AM
For those going to clinic with Lucinda and want to get an idea of what she is like, she posts a monthly diary on PetPlan Equine Insurance which sponsors some of her UK clinics:

http://www.petplanequine.co.uk/events/lucinda-green-archive.asp

http://www.petplanequine.co.uk/events/lucinda-green-monthly-diary.asp

ManyDogs
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:15 AM
I watched RFD TV over the weekend and saw her give a clinic in the UK. Wow. She is such a teacher!
I am not an eventer, but was most impressed.

sch1star
Oct. 13, 2009, 11:36 AM
I don't think there can ever be too many Lucinda threads. She is wonderful!

I probably tend more toward the thin-skinned - type A, hard on myself, analytical sensitive etc (ugh), and my 3 or 4 clinics with Lucinda weren't made up of all warm and fuzzy rides, but she never upset me. I found her to be honest but not harsh, and very professional. She will give you and your horse the benefit of the doubt, but also expect you to try hard to do as she asks.

Probably the single biggest reason she is one of my favorite clinicians is her depth and breadth of experience. My horse actually did cause her to get stuck, and she said he is one of the 3 or 4 horses in all her time teaching that she could not figure out. While she was trying to, she did a good job balancing what she was trying to do with him with the needs of the rest of the group (don't you dread being the black sheep?).

Safety is a very big concern with her, yet while inspiring you to be cautious, she will also make you feel brave.

And she will sign her books for you!

yellowbritches
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:13 PM
I pretty much think riding with her should be a prerequisite for event riders and horses.

A lot of what she teaches is about surviving sticky or awkward situations, which a lot of people don't get in their early riding experiences (since so many people come from school mills or the hunter/jumper world). Horses and riders often come away feeling like they can conquer the world. :yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 13, 2009, 12:28 PM
Agree with all of the above comments, wholeheartedly! She should be "officially endorsed by the USEA", and maybe there should be a requirement for riding in one of her clinics BEFORE you compete at an HT (as yb said.) And she is so wonderfully humorous and enthusiastic :)

I am always nagging my students to please, please clinic with her: the only problem is that her clinics (in our area) are always over 2 days during the week, and most of my students are either working 9-5, or are kids in school (so this makes it difficult for them.) Plus, she is pricey--but worth EVERY PENNY in my opinion. You will come away with a great experience (as will your horse ;))

lstevenson
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:12 PM
I pretty much think riding with her should be a prerequisite for event riders and horses.

A lot of what she teaches is about surviving sticky or awkward situations, which a lot of people don't get in their early riding experiences (since so many people come from school mills or the hunter/jumper world). Horses and riders often come away feeling like they can conquer the world. :yes:

Totally agree.

Isabeau Z Solace
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know if she has a website? Not coming up on Google. I would love to find out what her clinic schedule is. I know she is a NJHP this weekend.

happyappy
Oct. 14, 2009, 02:02 PM
Agree with all of the above comments, wholeheartedly! She should be "officially endorsed by the USEA", and maybe there should be a requirement for riding in one of her clinics BEFORE you compete at an HT (as yb said.) And she is so wonderfully humorous and enthusiastic :)

I am always nagging my students to please, please clinic with her: the only problem is that her clinics (in our area) are always over 2 days during the week, and most of my students are either working 9-5, or are kids in school (so this makes it difficult for them.) Plus, she is pricey--but worth EVERY PENNY in my opinion. You will come away with a great experience (as will your horse ;))

Dr D is right, she has told us a number of times.. try to go! I also understand from almost anyone I have asked that she had wonderful clinics.. and yes the biggest problem is taking off of work, and also taking my daughter out of school! I wish someone would schedule even over a Friday and Saturday so only there would be one day to worry about for work and school!