PDA

View Full Version : Jingles for my bad luck. and a huge vent

heygirlhey33
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:07 AM
I know that Im so fortunate to have my horse be alive and all but I think Im truly cursed. I worked my butt off for so long to finally become a good rider. Ive also worked so hard to really get that bond with my horse. I worked so hard this year to qualify for finals with a somewhat limited show schedule ( 8 a/AA shows). I won three classics out of thirty plus and pinned in the others. We were champions in large divisions at the summer AA shows.

Then when I was third nationally after just a few big summer shows we decided we would give him a vacation after he showed for 3 weeks in a row (cleveland and traverse city). Well since then hes been on again off again, the vet helped fix him all up and then we were second in a hunter derby then he went off again. The vet then 'solved' the issue and he was amazing at capital challenge (I wasnt as good without lessoning only three times since july thanks to his on again off again lameness) and we were fourth overall in our division and 8th in the WCHR year end final. He was being great at home and we jumped him last night and he was once again really good.

Then today I arrive to the barn all excited as we leave for harrisburg tomorrow, and see that my trainer had already ridden my horse. I am still in my little happy bubble until a groom casually tells me my horse is lame. Just like oh by the way hes off at the trot both ways hope its not a problem. Great. there goes finals. and all that work. Heres to hoping hes sound tomorrow when I hack him ( he doesnt leave till sunday)

sorry for how long this is and how its ranting and raving. but Im so upset and none of my non horse friends get it.

Kikki
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:51 AM
Big bummer! I know your pain. This is the second year that a minor issue has kept us from indoors. Argh! Its a huge disappointment but you are very right, your horse is still here and the bigger issue is figuring out was is wrong with him. Sounds like its time for futher diagnostics. Poor thing. Nothing is more important than the health of the horse, but its still a letdown!

MrWinston
Oct. 10, 2009, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry that your horse is sore and that you might miss Harrisburg. Unfortunately this happens and we are lucky if it's not a fatal colic or an otherwise disasterous event. I hope you get to the bottom of the problem and you live to fight another day. I takes some serious fortitude to be a horseman/woman.

Mach Two
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:02 AM
Here's hoping your pony is better soon...and I feel your pain, it is so dissapointing when you have worked so hard...but maybe, just maybe, there is a reason you were not supposed to be on the road, or at the warmup ring at a certain time...maybe your guardian angel is looking out for you. You sound dedicated... hope your horse will bounce back quickly for something else.
It's hard when your friends don't understand what you do...that's why you have COTH forum!

heartinrye
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:59 AM
I understand, I worked really hard one year to qualify for nationals, DID, then the day after I got my letter- whoops lame! But knowing that we qualified is *almost* as good as going. :)

Zu Zu
Oct. 10, 2009, 09:44 AM
Jingles - Hope he comes sound by Sunday ! Good Luck !!

spmoonie
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:37 AM
Good Luck! I hope he gets better!

Roxy SM
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:31 PM
I definitely feel your pain. I had to scratch 2 years in a row from Spruce Meadows. My mare was sound all year both times and then hurt herself right before both times. I also had a great horse that got hurt 2 months after I bought him (right before we were going to move up to the 1.40s) and never got better even with surgery and a year off. Both of these horses vetted clean when I bought them and were worked on good footing and were not over-jumped in any way. Sometimes it's just really bad luck! Of course, the people that jump the legs off their horses seem to get away with it.

springer
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
Do you have any idea how very lucky you are? Most people would give a body part to be able to show on the "A" circuit and own a nice horse.

TSWJB
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:38 PM
that is sooooo dissappointing! i feel sorry for you! the only thing you can do is concentrate on getting your horse better and hope he will be okay!
the one time i ever had a chance of going to Harrisburg, the horse i was riding died. i worked sooooo hard to qualify for the adult jumpers and i was mounted on a horse that would have carted my butt around. i was near the top of the list for NAL points. sadly he died about 1.5 months before harrisburg. i was soo upsett, but really more upsett that my partner died. he was 26yo but he had been so vibrant and never seemed old! it was a shock that one week i showed in the adult jumpers and the next week he was gone. he was such a special horse!
i will tell you life goes on and you will get over this dissapointment! i have yet to qualify for harrisburg again. i am hoping that my young horse will be able to do that for me. so far he has been so good! i just have to patiently bring him along and hope for the best.
but i will tell you, the journey is really fun. so when you are sad about that one special day, remember those memories where you were the winner out of 30+ horses!

Acertainsmile
Oct. 10, 2009, 03:41 PM
Do you have any idea how very lucky you are? Most people would give a body part to be able to show on the "A" circuit and own a nice horse.

Not quite the point...she said she knows how lucky she is. Jeesh.

Hope you figure out whats going on with your horse... I also feel your pain!

oldenburger with fries and a cold beer
Oct. 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
Big hugs! I am so sorry! Go ahead and vent. Sometimes things just suck. I hope this doesn't sound too cliche but usually there is a reason. In time, you will be able to brush this off your shoulder and smile. :cool:

Trixie
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:47 PM
Not quite the point...she said she knows how lucky she is. Jeesh.

Agree. Seriously? It sucks to work your butt off all year long for something and have it not pan out. Sadly, with horses, it's the name of the game... but that doesn't necessarily make it any less frustrating.

heygirlhey33
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:30 PM
Well the jingles and well wishes worked magic on my horse. The vet came out to investigate the mystery lameness. We pulled his shoes to see if there was something going on with his feet as he has sensitive toesies, and found the problem. My poor horsey had somehow developed corns between his hoof and his shoe, making his toes feel ouchy. We figure that jumping on them irritated them so the next day he was sore. The vet was able to remove them very easily, and as soon as they were off of his feet he jogged sound. We decided to see if he would be sound undersaddle and he was back to his normal self.

The vet then said it wouldnt hurt him at all to take him down to Harrisburg and show if he seemed happy and sound. So down we went. I got to watch my friends show in the medal and hang out with some show friends so I was happy. My horse was moving amazing the entire weekend. He was also so calm and settled in amazing. I hacked him in the ring on sunday night and he didnt peek at anything. We didnt do anything again till I schooled to show (no lunging or pro rides).

We got in the ring and he was absolutely amazing. We found all our distances to the jumps, and he was jumping really well (no rubs at all). Lots of trainers told me I was winning the final... well until the final bending line. Earlier in the class everyone was strugling to get down it and was really pushing their horses to get the strides. I jumped in with a nice forward distance and managed to keep up that pace and flowed out leaving out a stride (oopsieeeee doopsie). I had no idea I left out a stride. but then proceded to make a hairpin turn as we were going rather quickly towards a wall.

now heres the funny part.. In the medal the day before there was an Ingate and an outgate. And I had watched like 130 medal trips so i had it in my brain that I was supposed to walk out the outgate, so after I was done I walked over there to realize that I was supposed to exit from the ingate. I got alot of laughs and claps. I couldnt be prouder of my little horse :)) Just thought you might want an update. Thanks for all the good wishes, I guess they worked!

Here are some pictures

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2740163&l=61b8998731&id=622598173

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2740161&l=27cd1be93f&id=622598173

War Admiral
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:40 PM
That is just WONDERFUL, that it worked out so well for you! He's a cute guy, and that big smile on your face just says it all. I know, just from looking at the pics, that you DO know how lucky you are. Congrats; I'm very happy for you!

(And yes, I'm another one whose TB handed me a sick note for Maclay Finals when I finally qualified, my last junior year... albeit it was 40+ years ago! :lol:) I'm well over it now, of course - it's just the horse biz - but I do remember that sinking feeling in your heart when you realize you're not going to be able to go. It's tough, and anyone who thinks it's not is delusional, frankly! I don't blame you a bit for your initial vent.

I'm just SO glad it worked out for you. Really. Congrats.

Limerick
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:44 PM
SO glad you figured out his issue and got to compete. GREAT photos-are you smiling in them?? Especially the second one? If so, :lol: you go girl!!! What is your horse's name-he looks very kind and adorable.

heygirlhey33
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:53 PM
Yep im smiling in all of them. I just cant stop smiling over jumps on him. like every picture I have of us I have a huge smile. Thanks. I truly appreciate all I have, I've changed alot in a year coming from being a bratty bitter kid on a grumpy horse to being soo happy with my horse. I was honored to hear from my trainer that he had overheard other trainers telling their riders who made mistakes to have responded like I did. Heck I was even laughing and smiling after leaving out a stride at finals.

His names buck naked :) Hes amazing to say the least. a girls dream horse.

dancingequestrian85
Oct. 15, 2009, 10:56 PM
That's awesome! Congrats! Your pictures are great and it sounds like you had a great time :cool:

Mara
Oct. 15, 2009, 11:13 PM
Awesome! So happy you got to show.
May I also congratulate you on being a sparkling example of good sportsmanship? I bet your trainer loves working with you!

TSWJB
Oct. 17, 2009, 12:06 PM
hey congrats for fixing the problem and being able to show at harrisburg! your horse is really cute. i remember those white and black barrel jumps in the medal finals. it was at the end of the triple combination and most of the horses jumped the c%rap out of that jump! i was sitting right there. and so many of them touched their knees to the underside of their head! it was an awesome jump to watch the horses go over!

Parker_Rider
Oct. 17, 2009, 02:46 PM
I have always wanted to name a horse this, I'm so glad someone did! :) :lol:
I'm glad you guys figured out what was wrong with your boy, it's so frustrating to work your pants off just to face something like the near miss you did. Good luck at Harrisburg!! :) He's super cute!

mortebella
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:02 PM
Good on ya, gal! So glad it worked out for you and your pony! :)

Long Spot
Oct. 17, 2009, 04:16 PM
Really happy for you that it was a small issue for him and you were able to go and have a great time.

For they nay sayers, I'd like to point out that given the smile the OP is wearing, and how she described a few oops moments, she seems to know exactly how lucky she.

Great pics and a pat on the back to you, heygirl.

heygirlhey33
Oct. 22, 2009, 12:18 AM
Some of the trainers were asking if id do my smile at washington. they called it the "Insert name here" smile, and some told their kids to do it ha. I had a rail but still had a huge smile the entire time. I guess me being sick of riders frowning and looking bored while riding made me do the total opposite.

Horse is back at home for an extended vacation till we figure out what he wants to do with his life and what I wanna do with my riding carreer next year.

Ozone
Oct. 22, 2009, 01:00 PM
Well the jingles and well wishes worked magic on my horse. The vet came out to investigate the mystery lameness. We pulled his shoes to see if there was something going on with his feet as he has sensitive toesies, and found the problem. My poor horsey had somehow developed corns between his hoof and his shoe, making his toes feel ouchy. ]

Can I ask something? Why didn't you - or better yet the groom notice the corns? I can look at my horses foot and notice a corn like it's no one's business!

luvs2ridewbs
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:01 PM
If they were hidden under the shoe, maybe there was no way to tell until the shoes were pulled?

mvp
Oct. 22, 2009, 03:24 PM
Great!

Now you know one more thing to look for with a lame horse.

I love Buck Naked's name and wondering if his fanciness might be a buckskin and not weird-clipped bay.

FWIW, and maybe the best part, he looks pretty happy, too.

Sable
Oct. 22, 2009, 05:47 PM
I saw you go at WIHS and you guys are a great pair! Loved your horse - he is adorable! Congrats on a job well done :)

Kenike
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:44 PM
Fantastic!! I'm so glad it was something simple and that he stayed sound for you! I love seeing the big smile on your face, but also on his face. It's obvious that you were both happy to be there and having a grand time :)

And good for you to be the example for others to follow!! Take the mistakes with a grain of salt, learn from them, and have fun! Sage advice for us all :yes:

Good luck with figuring out everything for the both of you....so many people seem to lose sight of that and go from being bitter teens to bitter adults (though you're already NOT bitter!)

headsupheelsdown
Oct. 22, 2009, 08:53 PM
What a wonderful comeback story! Congrats!

Melzy
Oct. 23, 2009, 09:35 PM
You are a great sport! I am happy that it all worked out in your favor. Good luck in whatever you do.

heygirlhey33
Dec. 16, 2009, 11:34 PM
Can I ask something? Why didn't you - or better yet the groom notice the corns? I can look at my horses foot and notice a corn like it's no one's business!

Wow this is really late but anyway. on his front he wears pads that cover his hoof so without taking out the pads you couldnt see a corn.

heres the video from harrisburg if anyone wants to see it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8WtIchkYuk

Thanks soo much for all your jingles back when i needed them.

Candle
Dec. 17, 2009, 03:03 AM
Wow, that is one cute horse!!! I'm really glad you made it there, and the smile on your face is awesome!

2boys
Dec. 17, 2009, 07:09 AM
He is a super nice horse. I'd be disappointed too if I couldn't show him off!:D

Dakotawyatt
Dec. 17, 2009, 10:46 AM
Glad it worked out for y'all. He is SUPER cute! Not too shabby a round, either.:yes:

ponymom64
Dec. 17, 2009, 11:03 AM
Glad it all worked out for you! I love your horse - he reminds me so much of my daughter's first pony!! Same color, cute jump and adorable attitude :) I hope he enjoys his time off and good luck in the future!!