PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Hits Mid-West (Event Cancellations)

ksbadger
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:52 PM
Unseasonable cold weather has caused at least two cancellations this weekend. The MVPC XC Schooling at Longview Horse Park in Grandview , MO (KC area) both days and the Oklahoma Eventers' Schooling Show at Prairie Lane Farm in Collinsville, OK on October 10th have both been the victims of the recent rains coupled with near-freezing overnight temperatures.

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:26 AM
LOL...and here I sit drinking wine with 6 inches of snow falling outside. It's been unseasonable ALL YEAR long!!!

FlightCheck
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:58 AM
PLEASE send some our way. The heat index has been over 100 for the past 4 days.

LessonLearned
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:03 AM
Ditto!

It was 90 here yesterday in Charleston. My pony is already in "half-yak" phase with "full yak" likely by the end of the month. He was sweating before I even got on yesterday at 10 a.m. :no:

LR1976
Oct. 10, 2009, 07:22 AM
28 degrees this morning, windy and looking like it should snow. Brrr! Not ready for this yet!

Hunter Mom
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:02 AM
Hate to rub it in, but us Kansans actually have snow flurries in our forecast.

BBowen
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:10 AM
Was quite surprised when I got up this morning and the temp was 31 degrees; supposed to get up to 51. Totally not ready for the cooler weather yet. We just got back from London and it was a bit warmer than I was expecting. Had to adjust the wardrobe a bit.

Flightcheck, wish we could send some your way.

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:41 AM
Ok weather officially sucks. All roads in and out of town are closed, 8 inches of snow and more continues to fall.

COME AND GET IT!!!!! I'm not ready for this!

Zu Zu
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:49 AM
Where are you Just Walter !!!??? Remind me never to move there ARUGH !!!! So sorry about your SNOW that is A FOUR LETTER WORD in my book !!!!

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:55 AM
Wyoming!!! UGH!!!!

JumpingBug
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:03 AM
Um it was 105-107 weekend before last at the event and now it is 67 highs today and in 40's at night.. What the hell.. Yuck rain on monday and even cooler :-( So much for California having the perfect weather :-)

flutie1
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:03 AM

Take all you want. Hard freeze predicted tonight, "soft" freeze last night.

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
Um it was 105-107 weekend before last at the event and now it is 67 highs today and in 40's at night.. What the hell.. Yuck rain on monday and even cooler :-( So much for California having the perfect weather :-)

Burrr...you must wear your down parkas and mucklucks! :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

ksbadger
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:46 PM
Take all you want. Hard freeze predicted tonight, "soft" freeze last night.

Was it less than a month ago we were enjoying perfect weather at the AECs?

Gry2Yng
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:53 PM
Hunter Oaks had to cancel after dressage. Merciers did their OUTRIGHT BEST to complete, but the rain just soaked the ground.

LAZ
Oct. 10, 2009, 08:22 PM
I feel really lucky--I had a schooling HT here this weekend & it rained all day Thursday & Friday--we got about 2". It was steady enough to not flood me out and by the time we ran x/c this afternoon the footing was almost perfect.

I hope we don't get a freeze tonight, though, I'm too tired to go out with a flashlight & pick the remainder of my tomatoes & herbs!

tuppysmom
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:14 PM
You need to get this weather thing sorted out before the 20th. We have to travel home to ID from Fair Hill in MD and I don't want to have to pull the trailer thru KS and WY in a snow storm/wind storm. We have been snowed on in WY just about every time that we have been thru there! I 80 is no fun.

We need to get home in time to watch our University football team play on Saturday night.

flutie1
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:40 AM
Was it less than a month ago we were enjoying perfect weather at the AECs?

Something like that. Life in Chicago is a challenge!

Long Shadow Farm
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
It was very chilly at Feather Creek for the John Staples clinic but the footing held up great! Hopefully the Nov clinic will be as good. But I still am going to whine and complain about this cold weather so early! Grrrr........

shea'smom
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:53 AM
I had to clip my mare already for the ARk on Oct 10th, little early for that. But then, the predicted rain didn't come, even though it was muggy as all get out.
My theory is the freaky weather is a sign that we are all going to hell :cool:

Just Walter
Oct. 12, 2009, 07:39 PM
LOL..Tuppy's mom - let me know if you get stuck in Cheyenne!!! LOL!

cssutton
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:41 PM
flutie1:

My parents moved to Chicago in 1926 and we were there until 1938.

I don't remember the year, but it was probably 1937. It snowed like you would not believe. Because I was only 9 and small for my age, the snow probably was not as deep as I remember, but it was a lot.

We lived in Niles Center, now known as Skokie, for what reason I can not imagine.

Anyway, the next day the sun came out and it was warm warm warm and that snow melted so fast that the storm drains could not carry it off. Water was everywhere.

That night, the temp hit the bottom of the thermometer and froze everything. The next morning the streets were a solid sheet of ice.

That was before the days of calcium chloride. Most homes heated in those days with a coal fired boiler, and of course the big apartments burned a lot of coal. So the practice was to put ashes or cinders a few feet in front of the stop signs so cars could stop and start as required. The rest of the streets were slick ice.

No school. We ice skated on the street and thought of ourselves a being like the kids in Holland.

I doubt that there is any place in the world with the wild weather swings Chicago has. Colder places, hotter places, but for crazy swings it must take the cake.

I would not live there for any amount of money.

CSSJR

three_dayer
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:57 PM
tuppysmom- mom says to tell you she doesn't miss that drive, especially thru wyoming... definatly not a fun time of year to be driving across the country....tell sara good luck and have a lot of fun back there!