PDA

View Full Version : Producers Pride Whole Oats Horse Feed

JB
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:09 PM
What, exactly, makes this $9.99/50lb, whereas TC racehorse whole oats are $14/50lb?

Is the TC that much cleaner?

seabreeze
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:13 PM
Bump...

Anyone? Pretty please? :)

I was just calling around checking the price of oats and found these as well.

TSC Producer's Pride whole oats @ $8.99 vs. SS Triple Crown whole oats @ $18.89.

Can anyone speak to the quality?

Thanks!

EqTrainer
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:55 PM
You'll have to get a bag of each and check them out.

I have found that sometimes less expensive oats are not as plump and clean as those that cost more. Sometimes there is no difference. Sometimes my local mill has excellent oats and sometimes they are craptastic. One reason I hate feeding them, but I do :lol:

JB
Jan. 14, 2010, 02:55 PM
Wow, I'd forgotten about this LOL!

Coppers mom
Jan. 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
I find that you pay a lot for a name and pretty bag. We get oats from a local Mule City dealer. They come in a plain sack, but are just as nice as the twice as expensive TC ones we could get at another feed store. Get a bag of the less expensive ones and see if they're of good quality. There's no reason to pay almost $20 for something that requires pretty much no work to produce, compared to a complete feed.

ponyjumper4
Jan. 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've only seen the triple cleaned steam crimped oats from Triple Crown, and they are far cleaner than any other oats I've seen either or whole or processed.

cgn38
Jan. 14, 2010, 05:59 PM
Racehorse oats are heavy oats. That means that they are top quality and very clean and weigh on average 42 pounds per bushel. (The average weight of oats per bushel is 32 pounds). Therefore, less racehorse oats by volume need to be fed to meet nutrient and energy requirements. I have fed both Canadian racehorse oats and the TSC oats that you mention. For my horses, who no longer race, I find the TSC oats to be just fine.

I also feed recleaned local oats, but I look carefully to see if they are clean enough. I believe racehorse oats are "triple cleaned."

pintopiaffe
Jan. 15, 2010, 06:48 AM
I'm with EqT...

We have two different 'local' oats... one is slightly more $ and is crap.

I suspect the TC ones might be sprayed with veggie oil? Some are, to keep the dust down.

My feed dealer requests triple cleaned on the plain whole oats. I think that's the diff between his and dealer #2 (slightly more, and actually *more local* to be technical!)

I got whole oats at TSC once, just to save gas as I was there... and found a ginormous chunk of molasses-and-who-knows-what in it. Did NOT please me. We're talking like 5lbs or some such... they replaced the bag, but couldn't really explain to me why it was THERE in the first place... and of course couldn't really answer my question as to whether I had to worry about it being cattle feed with additives... <shrugs>

saje
Jan. 15, 2010, 07:42 AM
I feed the TSC oats ('cuz that's the only kind I can find locally for whole oats) and all in all they are fine. Very occasionally I'll see a few tiny bits of corn in them, but as a rule they are not dusty or full of icky stuff. Only once did I get a batch that looked like floor sweepings, or the dregs of the processing/bagging machine. That WAS full of dust, handfuls of it, gobs of it, and lots of corn and other unidentifiable bits.

Those 4 bags though looked like they'd just finished bagging something like chicken feed or all grain, and hadn't cleaned the last of it out before switching to bagging oats. Smelled odd too. Ick.

But I returned the bags, even opened, and got a full refund so no harm done, and ever since the oats have been sweet and clean.

Daydream Believer
Jan. 15, 2010, 08:08 AM
Now here's a funny and true story for you on oats. Our feed mill was buying Grainland Select whole oats. We had major problems with contamination of the oats with raw soybeans. Apparently that was from the trucks themselves bringing the product to the NC mill where it was processed....the trucks did not bother cleaning out between loads so soybean got into the oats. I got VERY tired of picking out soybeans as this went on for quite a while. They are nasty enough when processed and outright toxic raw...so I was ready to switch to another brand and I told my feed dealer as much. They were tired of the complaints and having to return the oats. Price was about $11.95 a bag.

So they found a replacement...I can't remember the name but it says on the bag "certified seed." It is absolutely clean...no contamination at all and the oats are decent quality. You have to cut the paper bags open as there is no nifty pull thing..but who cares? Turns out it's $2 a bag less! I was a bit concerned that "seed" might have some coatings or something. I asked them and they said it is "seed" oats, was perfectly safe with no coatings, it was cleaned with water only, and yes, it really was that much less expensive bagged for seed than for animal feed. QC was obviously much better also.

seabreeze
Jan. 15, 2010, 10:46 AM
I bought a bag of the Producer's Pride oats last night. They seem to be fine, although I haven't gotten "down into" the bag yet. They probably aren't as clean as the TC oats would be, but they smell fine, look fine, and big horse gobbled them up happily.

Will update later if I find any problems with them.

JB
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:37 AM
Thanks seabreeze!

tabula rashah
Jan. 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
I use the oats from our local feed stores which run about $3-8 less per 50 lbs. Sometimes, they can be a bit more dusty than the triple cleaned brand name ones, so I just take them outside and pour them from one bucket to another a couple times so that any excess dust blows off- voila quadruple cleaned oats :lol:

chaltagor
Jan. 15, 2010, 04:38 PM
I've used the PP cheapo oats for over a year and never had any problems. Never saw one kernel of corn in them but I sure did see a TON of corn in Fibregized when I was buying it. And that was a wee bit more expensive. :rolleyes: