PDA

View Full Version : sneak peek at 2010 dressage tests

Flying Hippotamus
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:08 PM
So I have a couple hours to myself, the guys are off selling boy scout popcorn. To completely waste my time I'm reading all the bad neighbor stories on COTH. And I get an email from USEA. Actually from Jason the computer guy. Like most computer guys he works late (hmm...I wonder if he's cute or married or likes horses) Oh right, back to eventing. Yeah so it is a link to the new dressage tests. Wow a super new way to waste my Friday. Look at the BN tests. BN A - enter working trot AXMC. Were they drunk? Do they want to make green horse look drunk? But it starts to grow on me. Green horses always look drunk especially when you are trying to get them down a centerline all the way to C - where there is a big SCARY, HORRIBLE, MONSTER (aka the judge). So hmm...it might work.
BN B - You cross the diagonal 4 times, well that can be one of my better moves. Then there is this 1/2 trot circle to canter, so easy only I could mess it up, we'll see.
So what are you doing this Friday evening? Darn... the boys are home early!

retreadeventer
Oct. 9, 2009, 09:07 PM
So...Mel...where's the link? Can WE see them?

Auburn
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:01 AM
"AXMC" :confused: And I thought that they were drunk when they wrote the current BN test A! :eek:

Just Walter
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:39 AM
I have to say THANK the dressage gods they are finally changing those tests! I wish they would change them every other year. I think AXMC sounds very intreging!!! And crossing the diagonal 4 times at least it's SOMETHING to do in those tests! :) Count me happy so far!!!!

Flying Hippotamus
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
Umm the link...er...I don't know, I only got it because I'm an org and need to select the dressage test for the next omnibus. I tried following the link backwards but it must be on some double secret page.

Stall, stall, stall - I'm sure it will be posted soon for everyone.

Stall - Did I mention I rode 2 TB's yesterday without incident but was thrown by a wheelbarrow into a ditch. Stall, stall.

Anyone want to buy some boy scout popcorn?

What do other orgs think?

2ndyrgal
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:30 PM
Cause that's probably where we're going anyway!! Actually Auburn, you'll be pleased to know that Junior's circles are coming right along. Half circles? Yay!!! Full circles, umnnnn, well, we're working on it

Caroline Weber
Oct. 11, 2009, 12:50 PM
I feel like the "AXMC" might be a typo - I haven't seen the final versions of the tests, but because my trainer is one of the judges who is asked for suggestions on the drafts of the new tests, I've seen them ridden. Don't remember anything that wild and crazy. That said, who knows.

FlightCheck
Oct. 11, 2009, 05:48 PM
Sounds like one of the young horse tests, where they DO AXMC or a version thereof.

TrakEventer
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:03 AM
The 4 year old tests definitely do an AXMC in the qualifying test and then AXHC in the Championship test, so perhaps it's the latest and greatest?!

purplnurpl
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:33 PM
"AXMC" :confused: And I thought that they were drunk when they wrote the current BN test A! :eek:

Thank GOD they finally did that for the BN horses.

Have you guys not watched the YEH tests? They are written that way.
10m circle is too hard for the kiddos.

This way you hit and and then diagonally to the right side so that you can do a 20m circle instead of 10m cricle turn.

yay!!

pegasusmom
Oct. 12, 2009, 04:40 PM
Umm the link...er...I don't know, I only got it because I'm an org and need to select the dressage test for the next omnibus. I tried following the link backwards but it must be on some double secret page.

Stall, stall, stall - I'm sure it will be posted soon for everyone.

Stall - Did I mention I rode 2 TB's yesterday without incident but was thrown by a wheelbarrow into a ditch. Stall, stall.

Anyone want to buy some boy scout popcorn?

What do other orgs think?

Just cuirous as to how you got it and I didn't? Think I will email a few folks.

pegasusmom
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:35 PM
Just got my copies, and am taking them for a test drive before I decide what to use. . . I do LOVE that Prelim has a standard ring option now and that Intermediate is in a standard ring.

FYI dressage tests get changed every four years.

enjoytheride
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:38 PM
I have a friend who has ridden nothing but dressage and she asked me what the hell was going on during the BN tests. She also was very confused that you don't dare ask your frisky event horse to HALT at the beginning of the test!

Badger
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:43 PM
I do LOVE that Prelim has a standard ring option now and that Intermediate is in a standard ring.

Happy dance, happy dance, happy, happy, happy dance!

I sure hope the standard option gets used.

asterix
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
Agree, I am thrilled! But imagine the prelim option will only be seen when I is being run as well -- otherwise too much work to change things around!

eponacowgirl
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:06 AM
I can just picture the look on some of these been-there-done-that BN horse's faces when you try to turn from X to M...

yellowbritches
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:17 AM
Brilliant!

In general, I hate all the dressage tests (well, Novice always seems to be ok), but I LOATH the BN tests. I've ridden a 3rd level dressage horse pretending to be event horse in that stupid test with the short diagonals who struggled with it. Even the BFG's baby brother, who is a bit of a DQ, finds those tests a little hard. Yes, very happy indeed.

I hope that the tests are written in such a way that they set the horses up for sucess instead of for distaster as they are now. The current training level tests SUCK. Can ANY training level horse be expected show any sign of a trot lengthening directly after the walk?!? :no:

Auburn
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:05 AM
Purplenurpl,

Actually, I mentioned your comment to my dressage instructor, who is a GP dressage rider. She said, "In the USDF tests, our young horses still have to halt for a salute, on the center line at the beginning of the test. We still have to ride them towards the dressage judge and make the 10 meter turn at C. Why on earth would the USEA dumb down the BN test just so that a few horses can make a better turn? Maybe the riders should work more on their dressage, before they enter an event, instead of dumbing down the tests?"

Don't you think that our horses need to be supple enough to make 10 meter turns, even when jumping a stadium round? Some of the stadium courses that I have seen at BN have asked for just those kinds of turns. If you cannot make small half circle at a trot, then how will you make one at the canter, while show jumping?

I do love the fact that they took out the halt/salute in the beginning of the dressage tests. I believe that it gives the rider enough opportunity to keep the horse forward, so that they can easily make the 10 meter turn at C. JMHO.

Asking for a 10 meter half circle, after crossing a short diagonal at a free walk, picking up a trot at K and turning onto the center line, in BN -A, was very difficult for the level. Then, I rode Training A at a dressge show.

Yellowbritches,
I thought that asking for an extended trot after a walk in Training A, "sucked", too. :eek:

saje
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:19 AM
Actually that KXM free walk, M med walk, C trot, HXF develop lengthening is Training B, and after the lengthening diagonal you get to regroup fast & and go up centerline for the X Halt, Salute.

Sigh.

I know this as I am in a panic trying to learn it AND find a way to practice it before riding it for the 1st time ever this weekend at the Team Challenge. ACK!

Auburn
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:26 AM
Oop! It was three years ago, when I rode it. Which Training test has the canter lengthenings on the circle? Also, one of them had a canter circle at A, then a chewy, stretchy circle at C, then another canter circle with lengthening at E? I thought that test a bit off, too.

GotSpots
Oct. 14, 2009, 10:55 AM
I hate the preliminary B test, that has the free walk long diagonal to trot at the letter at the end of the diagonal to canter at C - seems to me it just asks the horse to jig.

For the purposes of time, I like that the lower level tests don't have the halt in the beginning and are in the small ring - putting tests in the standard arena means that they take much longer, and it's harder to fit in competitors at a one day. Plus, that's a looong center line in a standard arena to go down on a green one, particularly if the dressage rings are backed up to show jumping or XC.

saje
Oct. 14, 2009, 03:36 PM
Oop! It was three years ago, when I rode it. Which Training test has the canter lengthenings on the circle? Also, one of them had a canter circle at A, then a chewy, stretchy circle at C, then another canter circle with lengthening at E? I thought that test a bit off, too.

That's all Training B, and it feels like a helluva lotta stuff in a small ring, though I know it isn't really. Or shouldn't be anyway.

But that's me in panic mode, since I can't ride today thanks to miserable weather.

vali
Oct. 14, 2009, 05:33 PM
It's Training B, and I hate it. I can't wait to move onto Prelim to what will hopefully be a more reasonable test.

pegasusmom
Oct. 14, 2009, 08:07 PM
Made my choices :D - overall I think the 2010 tests are an improvement, although there are still a few dogs in the group. . . and Badger if you come to Southern Pines II you can do the happy dance. . . !

Thames Pirate
Oct. 15, 2009, 04:46 PM
I hate Training B with a passion, though admittedly it has forced me to improve my transitions!

BlueRidgeEventer
Oct. 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
Are we going to see leg yields make a come back in the 2010 tests?

carolinagirl191
Oct. 16, 2009, 10:48 AM
When can WE see them?

lstevenson
Oct. 24, 2009, 08:57 PM
Where are you finding the new tests??

Caroline Weber
Oct. 25, 2009, 03:13 PM
Where are you finding the new tests??

At the moment, I don't think they're available to the public. Copies have been mailed to organizers so that they can decide what tests to use next year, and I believe judges have received copies as well. The only reason I know anything about them is that my trainer is a judge/TD and helps revise them. Otherwise, I'd be just as lost! I'm not sure when they'll be available on the website, but i hope it's soon!

lstevenson
Oct. 25, 2009, 04:55 PM
Ok, thanks!

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:24 PM
Just got my copies, and am taking them for a test drive before I decide what to use. . . I do LOVE that Prelim has a standard ring option now and that Intermediate is in a standard ring.

Now that is a really good change...wonder if many of the events will use a large ring since it means fewer rides...probably just a few though.

Janet
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:28 PM
Now that is a really good change...wonder if many of the events will use a large ring since it means fewer rides...probably just a few though.
I think a bigger decision factor will be whetehr or not you need to change arena sizes.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:29 PM
Why on earth would the USEA dumb down the BN test just so that a few horses can make a better turn? Maybe the riders should work more on their dressage, before they enter an event, instead of dumbing down the tests?"

Tell your dressage trainer that for our horses...a dressage test is just one of three things they need to master. BN is the lowest level..and introduction to the sport....and you are working on jumping and xc. Why make the dressage TEST harder than it needs to be...our horses are NOT dressage horses...they are event horses. There is a big difference.

That said...I never cared about the turn. So what if it wasn't perfect on a green horse...it is just one movement. I like to make the test smoother for the young green horses...but at the same point, when I'm on a young green horse, I'm just happy if we stay in the ring and have a relatively relaxed test regardless of the score. And if they jump well...I rarely even remember the dressage test at the end of the event.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:31 PM
I think a bigger decision factor will be whetehr or not you need to change arena sizes.

Hell...I'll ride training in the big ring too! Hate that damn small ring.

Janet
Oct. 25, 2009, 05:53 PM
Hell...I'll ride training in the big ring too! Hate that damn small ring.
To each his own.

I personally hate riding the tests written for a small arena in a standard arena. Too much time between transitions for the horse to get distractrd.

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:10 PM
To each his own.

I personally hate riding the tests written for a small arena in a standard arena. Too much time between transitions for the horse to get distractrd.

I think training level would be fine in a large ring...novice eh. I'm also sitting on a 17 hander...EVERYthing feel really small on him. The small ring wasn't so bad on my 16 h OTTB at novice.;)

Ajierene
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:12 PM
To each his own.

Forget the horse...to much time for me to get distracted!

Although, for my first test, riding it in a standard ring may have been easier. I had practiced the test using the entire arena at home, never seeing a real dressage ring before.

My thoughts were "Ack, a letter, what do I do? Ack another letter, what do I do? Ack these letters come up quick! Where am I?"

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 25, 2009, 06:54 PM
I'm with Janet on the "preferring the smaller ring" thing. Of course that's when I am riding "The Queen of Distractibility and Inattentiveness" ;) Every little thing that I can have her do (preferably in rapid succession) to help KEEP HER ATTENTION ON ME--is "all good"...

Who is writing these new tests?? Sally O'Connor, or someone else this time around?

And yes, getting rid of BN Test A and Training Test B can ONLY be a good thing...

BestHorses
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know when they will be releasing these tests publicly? I would assume in December at the latest for those folks in areas that have events in January so they have time to learn them...

LR1976
Oct. 25, 2009, 07:36 PM
I think training level would be fine in a large ring...novice eh. I'm also sitting on a 17 hander...EVERYthing feel really small on him. The small ring wasn't so bad on my 16 h OTTB at novice.;)

Just rode training B in a large arena at MidSouth for the T3D. Much nicer IMO.

gold2012
Oct. 25, 2009, 08:31 PM
I just wanna know when the rest of us get to learn those and practice them. Seems a little off that some people get them sooner then others.

Some of us hit the ground running with 6 horses to show...and 4 tests to learn...seems kinda a bummer to know some people get it far in advance.

I like the BN change. I do agree that your horse ought to be able to do a 10 meter half circle, but, sometimes, my youngsters see that fence as a small cavaletti lol.

I wonder what other fun changes are in stock.

Ajierene
Oct. 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Well, gold2012....become an event organizer or judge and you can get tests in advance also....

Not just anyone got the tests early, just the people that need them to send in what test they want so that it is in the omnibus or judges. The judges is just to review and give feedback, I believe. I believe that is also before the tests are 'official' and given to the organizers.

gold2012
Oct. 26, 2009, 04:40 PM
Sounds through the thread that some are already "practicing" the tests....I see a need for judges/officials/the like to get them, especially those trying to decide if we need to change them. I guess in the end you can either do them or not...right. Wonder when they will be out.

Rescue_Rider9
Oct. 28, 2009, 07:58 PM
People do ride the tests to see how they ride... It SHOULD only be the judges and organizers, but that doesn't mean it is.. Oh well. We will get them soon enough. Besides.. You arent supposed to drill your horse with the test. You already know the movements that are expected at that level. Just practice them. You dont need a test for that

Caroline Weber
Oct. 28, 2009, 10:17 PM
Sounds through the thread that some are already "practicing" the tests....I see a need for judges/officials/the like to get them, especially those trying to decide if we need to change them. I guess in the end you can either do them or not...right. Wonder when they will be out.

Again...it's only the judges/officials and organizers. I don't think the people who officially received the tests are passing them along to people - but if they are to watch the test be ridden, well, they can't very well watch and ride at the same time!

It's not giving anyone an unfair advantage. If your training is correct, getting to see the tests a bit later than the officials won't matter.

Catalina
Oct. 29, 2009, 10:14 AM
At least in the new Training (after the stretchy circle in A and the lenghten in B) the walk comes in a more logical spot. Test B is odd that you do a 15 m canter circle and then a 20 m canter lenghtening.

And it looks like there are no trot diagonals in Novice B and in A you go all the way down the center line twice. Interesting.

KBG Eventer
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:14 PM
At least in the new Training (after the stretchy circle in A and the lenghten in B) the walk comes in a more logical spot. Test B is odd that you do a 15 m canter circle and then a 20 m canter lenghtening.

And it looks like there are no trot diagonals in Novice B and in A you go all the way down the center line twice. Interesting.

Wait. Did I miss something? Are the new tests out? Or do you have connections so that you could look at them?

If the Training B test has 15m canter lengthening circle directly to a 20m working canter circle than that is like a version of one of the 2006 Prelim dressage tests. Didn't one of the Prelim tests have a 10m canter circle to a 20m canter lengthening? Anyway, that sounds cool. I like that idea better than the old Training Test B canters.

Catalina
Oct. 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wait. Did I miss something? Are the new tests out? Or do you have connections so that you could look at them?

They're not out yet, but I did get an email with a sneak preview of them :).

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 29, 2009, 01:29 PM
I just wanna know when the rest of us get to learn those and practice them. Seems a little off that some people get them sooner then others.

Some of us (ME) wouldn't practice them until the day before our first event any way....if then. hmmm....maybe this is why my dressage scores suck:lol::lol::lol:

ozzy24
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:20 PM
I think it's interesting that Prelim may use the standard size ring. Good practice for CCI*.

baxtersmom
Oct. 29, 2009, 07:39 PM

Ah, rats, we like trot diagonals and don't like the center line. Best start polishing those skills. :)

BTW, anyone know when these come out officially? Late November, Early December, right?

Also, I remember some published information about the hows and whys of changes to the tests... can anyone point me in that direction?

Catalina
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:23 AM
Ah, rats, we like trot diagonals and don't like the center line. Best start polishing those skills. :)

Us too- I can often pull off an 8 or 9 on the trot diagonal (which helps boost the 6s on the canter :lol:). In Novice B, you do a right turn at B and then a left turn at E; sounds interesting....

BestHorses
Oct. 30, 2009, 10:29 AM

Ugh. If you're already doing the center line in the beginning and the end of the test, why have people do it two more times? So redundant. I'd rather show different movements. And now we're stuck with these for three more years? Sigh.

baxtersmom
Oct. 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
Us too- I can often pull off an 8 or 9 on the trot diagonal (which helps boost the 6s on the canter :lol:). In Novice B, you do a right turn at B and then a left turn at E; sounds interesting....

:winkgrin: Our horses must be related!

Are the turns like the ones in the old test, only one after the other?