PDA

View Full Version : Trailering to shows

Junebugz
Oct. 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
I have always been self sufficient. As a former avid eventer I used to haul myself to shows all of the time offering rides to anyone who may have wanted to join me. I have been out of event horses for about 10 years and just recently made the decision to start again. Things this time around will be much different as I will have to board my horse and I have no trailer and don't anticipate the funds for one anytime in the next several months due to the cost of going back to school for my second degree. I also don't know anyone anymore though there are a few familiar names still in the sport.

I guess my question is... How many of you hitch rides to shows? Do you have one specific hauling partner or do you decide where you want to go and then hope you can find someone willing to haul your horse? Not knowing anyone how would I even go about finding someone to ask???:confused:

Thanks

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
Consider joining the USEA Adult Rider program for your area. It is a good starting point to network with other eventers.

Will there be any eventers at your boarding barn? Will you be taking lessons with anyone....usually they can also help introduce you to people and help you find a trailer ride.

Junebugz
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
Most of the folks in the area ride the Hunters and Jumpers. Hopefully there will will be some Eventers. I'll know a little more when I settle on a barn. I'll be moving after the first of the year so my boyfriend is helping me look in that area.

I forgot about the Area websites! Great suggestion! Thanks!

Raison d'etre
Oct. 9, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I've met trailering buddies through my trainer, my farrier, a yahoo group for my area, and orgaziners of local events. Good luck.

Junebugz
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:09 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. I've met trailering buddies through my trainer, my farrier, a yahoo group for my area, and orgaziners of local events. Good luck.

Thanks! More great suggestions!