PDA

View Full Version : ponies in dressage

samtoney
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
Just curious as to if there is a market for dressage ponies? Have a 3y/o 14.1ish hand filly/mare that is by a dressage stallion from florida. Didn't know if this might be an avenue to checkout when looking to have her move on. Thanks!

piccolopony
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah! HUGE market for GOOD dressage ponies. I know I prefer them as an AA and because I'm short and small. I just feel so much more at home. If you do some searches on Google you'll find more info. I've found them in the 50,000s
Look at this guy DROOL http://www.throughconnection.com/BennosDream.html It's absolutely who I'd breed my girl to if I could.

cottagefarm
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
The market is definitely more toward the smaller adult rider than kids at this point IMO and they have to be showing in most cases unless she is well bred and you can sell her as a breeding/riding prospect.

unbridledoaks
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:30 PM
Good moving, proven Dressage ponies are selling for nice prices. Even the foals with proven bloodlines are doing well and for good prices.

Dune
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Good moving, proven Dressage ponies are selling for nice prices. Even the foals with proven bloodlines are doing well and for good prices.

I'm curious as to what defines "good prices", specifically on the foals? TIA

hluing
Oct. 10, 2009, 06:29 PM
Dune...if you look around, prices are all over the board. I would say 8-10k for a super bred pony foal is a "good" price. I suppose there are many definitions of good.
I agree with Sally...the bulk of the market is for small adult riders.

tempichange
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:08 PM
Dune...if you look around, prices are all over the board. I would say 8-10k for a super bred pony foal is a "good" price. I suppose there are many definitions of good.

Much agreed as usual.

Unless you mean by those good prices ala hunter market.

Dune
Oct. 10, 2009, 10:38 PM

I have looked around, that's why I asked, actually. I'm curious if UnbridledOaks was talking about that price range, perhaps when she comes back she can chime in. :yes: When the market was good, yes, they were "flying off the shelves" at those prices. Right now, I'm seeing foals in that price range sitting around...main reason I asked for a definition. ;)

Unless you mean by those good prices ala hunter market.

And what would that be?

tempichange
Oct. 10, 2009, 11:00 PM
And what would that be?

Easily, upper 60's to a couple hundred grand depending.

slc2
Oct. 11, 2009, 04:33 AM
Sales are just really slow right now. What normally sells for x is selling very slowly for x/2.

hluing
Oct. 11, 2009, 09:04 AM
Sales have been slow for the last few months around here.
Kelly, can you tell me more about what kind of hunter pony you are talking about at those prices. Foals?

Dune
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:20 AM
Easily, upper 60's to a couple hundred grand depending.

:eek:

Sales are just really slow right now. What normally sells for x is selling very slowly for x/2.

That's what I'm finding as well, for those that still sound sooooo optimistic, I'm just wondering what their definition/frame of reference is.

Kelly, can you tell me more about what kind of hunter pony you are talking about at those prices. Foals?

That's kinda what I thought, and yes, I have the same question you do re the hunter ponies' prices. Maybe we should be breeding some of *those*, eh? :winkgrin:

tempichange
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:29 AM

I'd be more than happy to take any of yours:D

Breaking it down from what I've seen (Hunter people should chime in here):

Foals: who are by and out of pony stock, and have siblings going/winning on the hunter circ: about 6 to 10. Depending on market, and area. Foals out of or by larger stallions, who don't have the glowing pedigree, a bit less.

Yearlings, two, three and some four year olds: who are out showing on the line, under saddle, winning or doing well, who look like their going to mature within pony range, about 8 and up.

Five and up: On the circuit, perm card, winning/placing consistently, kid safe, auto changes, the whole nine yards, you start getting into the 15k range. The one's I've seen go for 100k and up are the large ponies who have been on the big hunter circuit for awhile, and have been through at least one or two riders.

Bigeq.com is usually a good source.