PDA

View Full Version : Amoeba, Tadpole ... what comes next?

Wellspotted
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
So a friend of mine wants to start eventing at the beginning. The barn does pre-Amoeba, Amoeba, Tadpole, and Bullfrog.

The USEA Web site starts with Beginner Novice, and we have found local organizations online that start with Amoeba, go to Tadpole, and then Beginner Novice.

But what are pre-Amoeba and Bullfrog?

Sort of like Mini-Minimus and Minimus in the UK?

Viva
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:32 PM
Hitching Post has a grasshopper division. A grasshopper really could jump the fences pretty easily :lol:

enjoytheride
Oct. 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
amoeba is probably poles on the ground for xc and tadbole is probably 12 inch logs. Since they are not recognized each facility probably has their own name and set of rules for height and difficulty. Call and ask.

albigears
Oct. 9, 2009, 06:02 PM
I think Elementary divisions are usually 2'.

quietann
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:26 PM
Around here, "elementary" comes next at a lot of venues; it is the first time a WTC dressage test is used, and max fence height is 2'3".

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:30 PM
In short, "what comes next" is up to the organizer at unrecognized events. I don't think I've ever heard of "bullfrog" but that doesn't mean it isn't an understood progression in some circles/areas.

You just have to read the specs for individual shows, and ask people who know what the particulars of a local show level are.

archieflies
Oct. 9, 2009, 07:35 PM
Dangit. I wish we had these divisions around here! I'm having a hard time finding a place to start a green pony. An ocassional 2' division with regular BN dressage test is the best I can find, and those are few and far between!

LessonLearned
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:39 PM
Down here we have:

Amoeba -- usually crossrails-18 inches

Tadpole -- 2 feet (sometimes up to 2'3" but most of the time even if they say 2'3" it usually turns out to be 2').

I would LOVE a Bullfrog division that would truly be 2'3, but I have never heard of such a beast. I have been a simple celled organism for far too long. I would love to evolve into an actual amphibian :winkgrin:

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 9, 2009, 08:56 PM
Tadpoles aren't actually single-celled but carry on... ;)

Lori B
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:15 PM
Here in Murlin (Maryland), there is elementary, which is all crossrails and small logs, just about, and then baby beginner novice, which is about 2'-2'3". BBN is a great division because the fences are big enough that horses really jump them, but not so big that greenish riders feel like they are being launched in the air on every jump.

But BBN is harder to find than elementary, which is a bummer.

bip
Oct. 9, 2009, 10:58 PM
Tadpoles aren't actually single-celled but carry on... ;)

I'm with Jeanette. I'm glad there are enough increments to give everyone a shot, but I'm a little concerned about the biological implications of the progression :D

LessonLearned
Oct. 10, 2009, 12:34 AM
Clearly I was not a biology major! :winkgrin: I have always been somewhat disturbed by the biological metaphors.

Although, not sure how I feel about the "Maiden" category ratings either. . .

Perhaps we need to call these classes something more akin to how most of us see them:

Amoeba = Wimp

Tadpole = Not Quite a Wimp (NQW)

Bullfrog = Almost Nearly Not a Wimp (ANNW)

These categories would of course refer to the adult divisions. Junior divisions could just be called Cute Kids on Ponies Levels 1-3.

Mach Two
Oct. 10, 2009, 01:56 AM
They go:
When will this Baby Go? (Amoeba)
Oh You Left Mommy a Present (Tadpole)
Is That You I Smell (Bull frog)
Diaper Pail (Pre Novice)
Poopie Pants (Beginner Novice)
Diapers and snap pants (Novice)
Real Panties (Training)
Big Girl Panties (Prelim)
Really Big Girl Panties (Intermediate)
No Panties (Advanced)

subk
Oct. 11, 2009, 08:37 PM
No Panties (Advanced)
Isn't that the "Commando" division?

equinelaw
Oct. 11, 2009, 10:40 PM
I am waiting for adult lead-line. I will burninate that division!:)

Mach Two
Oct. 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
Isn't that the "Commando" division?

Right you are..."Commando" it is!

cnvh
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:22 AM
Elementary at Fair Hill's starter trials is 18" I think... Horsie and I just did Elem there last month for our first foray into eventing and we had a BLAST. :)

CookiePony
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:26 AM
:lol::lol:
Right you are..."Commando" it is!

tle
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:38 AM
If Advanced = Commando, Should Intermediate then be "Thong"?

eponacowgirl
Oct. 12, 2009, 09:51 AM
If Advanced = Commando, Should Intermediate then be "Thong"?

I believe you're right, but I prefer "Butt Floss"

mosmom
Oct. 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Around here we have:

Greenhorn - 12"
Elementary - 18"
Introductory - 2'3"
Beginner Novice and so forth

Mach Two
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:08 PM

OK Sub K and Epona, how about we call Intermediate
"Hitched up Big Girl Panties"
That's what happened to my big girl panties when Bruce "made me" school intermediate xc on my training horse to "see what we had"

...'cause I know people ride in butt floss, but I don't want to go there.

LSM1212
Oct. 12, 2009, 12:13 PM
Around here:

Baby Starter - Intro B, 18" Crossrails SJ, Poles XC
Starter - Intro B, 2' SJ & XC
Baby BN - BN, 2'3" SJ & XC

:)

I did the Baby Starter the end of last year at my first mini-trial. Doing poles on the ground in XC was funny. The video my hubby took of us trotting around the field and over all the poles on the ground is hysterical. But it was a huge accomplishment for me.

My ultimate goal is to do BN. So I'll be in the "one-cell" groups for awhile. Or as they are called around here... Baby "something". :D Kinda funny to say you are in the "baby division" when you are a grown adult in your 30's!

Wellspotted
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:03 PM

That would be me too. :yes:

Meanwhile, I don't understand why "Amoeba" and then "Tadpole." Why not "Plankton"?

I like the UK's terms for the lower levels: Mini-Minimus and Minimus. Then they go to BE(T) 80, BE 90, etc., where the number indicates the height of the fences in centimeters. (BE is British Eventing.)

gully's pilot
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:09 PM
For those of you looking for a nice experience next year--my daughter just competed in Tryon Hunt Club's event at FENCE, in an "Intro" division, which translated to a w/t dressage test (pony club intro b), a stadium course of 2' or less, and a xc course of 2' or less (though I was told none of the jumps measured over 21".) It was SUPER. Also, since it was held with a recognized show, it acted just like a recognized show--real start box, real timers, judges, etc. It was a lovely place for Katie to build confidence--though the xc course was up and down a big hill, so she also really had to ride! Both the baby ditch and the pass-through water were optional--you could chose to skip them entirely--Katie's getting ready to run BN, so she did both. It was really splendid.

Minerva Louise
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:18 PM
My former trainer lamented the demise of the "Green as Grass" class in this area.

Wellspotted
Oct. 12, 2009, 05:59 PM
I really like the Greenhorn and Green As Grass designations.

(And all this time I've been thinking that Amoeba and Tadpole were universal ... !)

Hmmmmmmmm ...

Kyzteke
Oct. 12, 2009, 08:03 PM
At Rebecca Farms event they have a "Smurf" division. Jumping xc is optional. I mean, there are jumps on the course, but you don't have to jump them. I have no idea how tall they were, but just eyeballing 'em I'd say I could jump them (without a horse) and I've had a total hip replacement.

scubed
Oct. 13, 2009, 08:23 AM
I have no idea how tall they were, but just eyeballing 'em I'd say I could jump them (without a horse) and I've had a total hip replacement.
:lol::yes::lol:

There are lower levels (I remember my trainer running next to her daughter's pony around the field where there were about 6 9-12" logs), but usually we see:
Elem (walk trot test and 18" jumps)
Intro (BNA test and 2' jumps)
then beginner novice
At many unrecognized the beginner novice is a bit softer than you would see at a recognized

AmandaandTuff
Oct. 13, 2009, 09:35 AM
I went to a local event and the lowest division was Pre BN. Logs on the ground up to 2'6" and it was really enjoyable. Most of the jumps were haybales, we did get some log piles, a couple roll tops, cross rails, and a ditch.

KateWooten
Oct. 13, 2009, 10:31 AM

ummm.... I have seen your bum at close quarters many times, and no, I'm fairly sure that you prefer Big Momma Panties.

mybelle
Oct. 15, 2009, 03:54 PM

I think I might challenge you on that one! :lol: